Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
markcynt

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Post by markcynt »

After trying the RC and then reading a lot of negative posts about Helena I originally chose not to install the final.

I decided to try it last night and I must say I'm at least as impressed as I was with Gloria.

The default desktop background is so nice I'm keeping it which is a first for me!

I haven't run into any bugs and overall this distro runs smooth and very fast on my computer.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you don't run into bugs Helena is a nice release
bobd13045

Post by bobd13045 »

Just installed Linux Mint 8 on my HP desktop PC.
Great job guys! :D

Merry Christmas

Bob
Wilsonsway

Post by Wilsonsway »

Got LM8 installed on my HP dv1000t laptop and so far, it's cruising right along. Much better than Ubuntu 9.10 did initially too. Not sure what the difference is now but whatever it is, keep up the good work. Once I get my files moved over and miscellaneous software reinstalled, I may go ahead and install it on my workstation too. 8)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Husse wrote:Remember that you need a valid XP license for that

Hey... thanks for the info!

But I don't have a copy of XP or any license for it. Can't fathom purchasing
any Microsoft products any more.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Az4x4 wrote:
DavidS wrote:..Hi, I actually like CS3 Adobe suite the best and wish I could at least get Dreamweaver running on Mint. If I could, I would leave windows in the dust!! Would you have any idea how to do this??
Hey David! You can run Adobe CS to CS4 products on Mint 8 by installing VirtualBox then putting a light weight version of Windows XP in place. I run a minimalist version of TinyXP (do a Google search for an active torrent) in VB. Adobe CS to CS4 programs run perfectly in it.

Tried searching for TinyXP and either was not found on sites or you had to pay to download from those bogus download sites.
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

DavidS wrote:..Tried searching for TinyXP and either was not found on sites or you had to pay to download from those bogus download sites.
Did a quick torrent search and found the following free TinyXP Rev9 torrent:

URL removed

Got it downloading as I type. Running at 500kbs + with less than 1/2 hour to go..

..Now it's jumped up to 1500kbs and has less than 6 minutes left to finish!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please do not post links to (semi)illegal software
The last thing we need is the company of some "pirate hunter"
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Husse wrote:Please do not post links to (semi)illegal software
The last thing we need is the company of some "pirate hunter"
It would seem that if you've got a good WinXP license, as you earlier advised and as many of us do, that it shouldn't matter if you install a lightweight customized version of XP instead of the full enchilada that comes on the Microsoft supplied disk. If I'm wrong about that I do apologize..
Husse

Post by Husse »

Maybe not - but I'd rather not gamble on it
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Husse wrote:Maybe not - but I'd rather not gamble on it
Know what you mean, and I fully agree..
radrick
Level 1
Level 1

Post by radrick »

Thanks for this truly remarkable OS. I downloaded it yesterday and installed it on a COMPAQ Presario C700 notebok and it installed flawlessly. Everything worked including the WiFi.
Outstanding. I have tried other distributions and usually WiFi was the Achilles heel.
ysNoi

Post by ysNoi »

Thanks for this software...! I'll be loving this too..!

Looks nice and good..!

Works fine with my Presario CQ40..!
Husse

Post by Husse »

ysNoi - you have taken my signature!
Don't know if I like it or not....
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

thedevil wrote:this might be a stupid question, but am I free to put the ISO file for LN8 onto my webpage for others to download?
It might not be my place to answer but I think this is fine, provided we're talking about mirroring (I don't know about just hosting a static release of LM8, but I guess that shouldn't be a problem).
Linux Mint wrote: Mirroring the Linux Mint ISOs: To mirror the Linux Mint ISOs, please rsync with ftp.heanet.ie::pub/linuxmint.com at a frequency of at least once a day and contact us by email at root AT linux DOT com to tell us about your mirror.
I don't know about the licensing of Linux Mint and its packages fully, so it's possibly best to contact that email address with your plans whatever they are. I'm sure any help you want to offer in this way will be very warmly welcomed.
alejandro_mario

Post by alejandro_mario »

Hi. Any news regarding the upgrade path from LM7 to LM8 x64 mentioned in the 17th Dec. release announcement? It was mentioned it would be available last week, but I cannot find it.
I have two LM7 x64 machines to be upgraded and I'd rather use the upgrade path instead of reinstalling.
Thank you.
celem
Level 3
Level 3

Post by celem »

Like "alejandro_mario", have I missed the upgrade instructions for amd64?
sv1xv

Re: Asus EeePC series

Post by sv1xv »

I recently installed Helena on an Asus EeePC 4G Surf netbook to replace the crippled Xandros that came with it. In addition to the CD distribution I also added language support for Greek (this is one of the main reasons I installed Mint) and perldoc. The installation was without problems using an external DVD drive. In addition, WiFi works smoothly and I have got rid of connection problems I faced with Xandros.

Happy new year!
BopNiblets

Post by BopNiblets »

Hey Minters, my GDM doesn't look like it should, like this:
(not my name's not samuel I found this online)
It's more blue and the buttons are the grey Raleigh theme, I posted this in the RC bug thread but it's still the same, how can I get it Mintier? :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is not a support topic - please post in the support section, possibly Installation and boot

Return to “Releases & Announcements”