Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
gravelbay

Re: Linux Mint 8 x64 RC1 released!

Post by gravelbay »

RestlessSoul wrote:k, stupid question time;

Does the Linux Mint 8 x64 edition have the same java issues that the x64 of Mint 7 had? (For example, I couldn't log into Facebook because the cursor wouldn't show up, problems like that) were those problems fixed?

Or am I better off using the 32 bit version of Mint? (If I DO use the 32bit version, will it recognize a full 2GB stick, or will it be like Vista and recognize only 1.6 of the 2 GB?)
Not a stupid question at all, Restless. You should be able to rest easy on the java issue. I have had no problems with Facebook other than the built in weirdness of FB itself. Log-in is no problem. FB has it's own quirks that annoy me no matter what OS or browser I use.

Also, Youtube with Firefox worked right out of the box - unlike the 32-bit Mint 7 KDE which took some minor tweaking. Skype needed some tweaking in the 32-bit KDE 7 version too, but I haven't yet installed it in x64 Mint 8. Getting ready to do that in a few minutes.

As for the 32-bit Mint, I've only used that in Mint 7. I have 2 sticks of 2 GB each. I was able to use 3.2 GB of it. Interesting that you saw half of that total with half the quantity of 2 GB memory sticks. I thought the limit was a total of how much ram a 32-bit OS could address, but perhaps there is something in the physical archecture that also poses a limit. Maybe someone with more smarts can shed some light on that.
catilley

Post by catilley »

Upgrading from one OS to another is not the way to go, regardless of the OS or brand (Windows, Linux or Mac). I did the upgrades from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, Xubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 and Windows Vista Pro to Windows 7 Pro. It doesn't work as well as a clean install does. I still have Linux Mint (7) and will not upgrade that way again. I'll download the ISO, then clean install Linux Mint 8 (x64). I currently have Mint (x32) but since have bought a new PC, a HP MS214 all in one 64 bit. It currently has Windows 7 Pro and Microsoft offers Virtual PC as a free download to Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate users. My plans are to run Mint 8 in it, I still have to figure this thing out, as I'm used to dual booting. It is my hope that Mint offers more 64 bit programs than Windows does. You can't even get Adobe Reader for 64 bit Windows. I don't want to totally switch to Linux on this PC, as I have a laptop that dual boots Ubuntu 9.10, Xubuntu 9.10 and Linux Mint (Gloria). And I don't want to setup dual boot on this PC, since I can go with Virtual PC and avoid dual booting altogether. It is going the way of the dinosaurs anyway. gravelbay, Windows (XP) only uses 2.99 out of the 4GB that is installed on my laptop. I've never seen a 32 bit OS of any brand utilize the full 4GB RAM. That's the main reason that out of the few 32 bit laptops that's still on the market, most have 3GB. There's no point in having more. I upped mine from 2GB to 4GB and was dissapointed to see 1GB wasted. Had I known that, I would have only bought one 2GB stick, to give me 3GB RAM. But with the next release of Windows, there will be no 32 bit OS released. There will be a 64 bit and 128 bit (Sony is said to be hard at work on their 128 bit system). That will be in 2012. In 2015, there will be no more 32 bit apps made for Windows at all. The support for XP will have been ended, and so will the 32 bit era for Windows. I use Linux and Windows, so I keep up with both.
factotum218

Post by factotum218 »

I can't say enough good things about this release so far. I've been running it for only three days, with no problems so far and a great platform to dive into web development with.

I've been having a great time since I started with a week of Slackware 9 about six years ago. I dabbled here and there. Slackware, Debian, FreeBSD, Redhat, Ubuntu and what have you. I wanted to give Linux another go recently and after considering Ubuntu I went with Mint after hearing from a peer about how polished it was as a desktop to get actual work done.

I wanted something that some might considered "dumbed down". It should be "stupid easy" in my opinion, when it's followed with a stable system with a wealth of software. Mint, in my opinion has nailed it. If they continue on with this kind of quality they have only to gain.
boarder428

Post by boarder428 »

I'm having issues with the Mint 8 x64 release. Seem to loose usb access shortly after boot and the wireless is being extremelly finiky. Last but not least can't seem to find the boot menu list to edit the boot order. was it moved from /boot/grub/menu.lst? Going back to 7 for now it was working flawlessly!
gravelbay

Post by gravelbay »

boarder428 wrote:I'm having issues with the Mint 8 x64 release. Seem to loose usb access shortly after boot and the wireless is being extremelly finiky. Last but not least can't seem to find the boot menu list to edit the boot order. was it moved from /boot/grub/menu.lst? Going back to 7 for now it was working flawlessly!
Welcome boarder.
This is an old thread about the release of RC1, which is kind of ancient history now. I doubt if you'll get any answers posting your questions here.

I suggest searching your issues first if you haven't already done so. They have probably already been answered somewhere on this forum. If you come up dry on the search, start a new thread in the appropriate support category or categories.

You'll also find info that might help you get an answer more quickly in this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561

Good luck. This is forum is full of very knowledgeable people. It's just a matter of getting your question put where it gets seen by the right ones.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”