Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby clem on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:55 pm

This topic is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox Helena RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
Image
User avatar
clem
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5553
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Kendall on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm

I've created a thread listing the updates available for the Fluxbox CE and what those updates do. Please check the link below to see if your problem has already been resolved with an update before posting a new bug report. Thanks a lot.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&p=232633
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Gnarly on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:33 am

I am not sure if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong? But I modified the Menu adding a couple of things. All went fine until I then Toggled menu icons on, and then the newly added items where missing. So I added them once again along with the path to the icons and all is good again. It seems all is fine as long as I do not toggle the menu icons on and off? It's not really a big deal as they are staying put even after a reboot and I plan on leaving the icons on anyway. I am just curious if this is normal or i am doing something wrong? Thanks for all the hard work! This Issue of Mint Fluxbox looks great and is running great!!!! :D
Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Kendall on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:43 am

Gnarly wrote:I am not sure if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong? But I modified the Menu adding a couple of things. All went fine until I then Toggled menu icons on, and then the newly added items where missing. So I added them once again along with the path to the icons and all is good again. It seems all is fine as long as I do not toggle the menu icons on and off? It's not really a big deal as they are staying put even after a reboot and I plan on leaving the icons on anyway. I am just curious if this is normal or i am doing something wrong? Thanks for all the hard work! This Issue of Mint Fluxbox looks great and is running great!!!! :D

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. How are you modifying the menu? If you need to add something specific, add it to the ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries file. Elsewhere, note that toggling the menu icons regenerates the entire menu from scratch, but it adds in everything that is contained within the custom-menu-entries file. If you'd like a technical walkthrough of mint-fm2 (the package that handles all of the menus), then shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to explain further.

EDIT: At present, this is a software limitation and is something that should probably be mentioned in the release notes in some capacity.
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Gnarly on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am

Kendall wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. How are you modifying the menu? If you need to add something specific, add it to the ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries file. Elsewhere, note that toggling the menu icons regenerates the entire menu from scratch, but it adds in everything that is contained within the custom-menu-entries file. If you'd like a technical walkthrough of mint-fm2 (the package that handles all of the menus), then shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to explain further.

EDIT: At present, this is a software limitation and is something that should probably be mentioned in the release notes in some capacity.
:D[/quote]


Sry about this one. Could not see how to delete this! lol
Last edited by Gnarly on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Gnarly on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 am

Kendall wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. How are you modifying the menu? If you need to add something specific, add it to the ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries file. Elsewhere, note that toggling the menu icons regenerates the entire menu from scratch, but it adds in everything that is contained within the custom-menu-entries file. If you'd like a technical walkthrough of mint-fm2 (the package that handles all of the menus), then shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to explain further.

EDIT: At present, this is a software limitation and is something that should probably be mentioned in the release notes in some capacity.


Not really a problem just customizing abit. I modified the /fluxbox/menu file. I added Thunderbird,Gpodder and Lock Screen to the menu. Here is what it looks like.


[begin] (Linux Mint) </usr/share/icons/MintFB/24x24/places/start-here.png>

[exec] (Home) {thunar ~/} </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/actions/48x48/gtk-home.png>
[exec] (Web Browser) {firefox} </usr/share/pixmaps/firefox-3.5.png>
[exec] (Gpodder) {gpodder} </usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gpodder.png>
[exec] (Mail) {thunderbird} </usr/share/pixmaps/thunderbird.png>
[exec] (Terminal) {lxterminal} </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/apps/48x48/utilities-terminal.png>
[exec] (mintConfig) {mintConfig-fluxbox} </usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/categories/gnome-control-center.png>
[exec] (mintInstall) {mintInstall} </usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/mimetypes/stock_script.png>
[exec] (Synaptic) {gksu synaptic} </usr/share/pixmaps/synaptic.png>
[exec] (Run) {/usr/bin/fbrun} </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/system-run.png>
[include] (~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries)
[separator] (--------)
[submenu] (Fluxbox) {Settings} </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/preferences-system.png>
[config] (Fluxbox Menu)
[reconfig] (Reload Config)
[restart] (Restart Fluxbox)
[workspaces] (Workspaces)
[submenu] (Styles) {}
[stylesdir] (/usr/share/fluxbox/styles)
[stylesdir] (~/.fluxbox/styles)
[end]
[end]
[separator] (--------)
[submenu] (Accessories) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-accessories.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Accessories)
[end]

[submenu] (Graphics) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-graphics.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Graphics)
[end]
[submenu] (Internet) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-internet.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Internet)
[end]
[submenu] (Office) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-office.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Office)
[end]
[submenu] (Others) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-other.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Others)
[end]

[submenu] (Sound & Video) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-multimedia.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Multimedia)
[end]
[submenu] (System) {System} </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/devices/preferences-system-network.png>
[submenu] (System Tools) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/categories/applications-system.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/System)
[end]
[submenu] (Preferences) </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/devices/preferences-system-network.png>
[include] (/home/john/.mint-fm2/submenus/Preferences)
[end]
[end]
[separator] (--------)
[exec] (Lock Screen) {xscreensaver-command -lock} </usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gdu-encrypted-lock.png>
[exec] (Quit) {ciao} </usr/share/icons/Minty/scalable/actions/application-exit.png>
[end]

If I add these to the ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries file, can they be placed in the same location as I have them now?

Again Thank You for all your Hard Work on this! I is really a Sweet Release!
Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Kendall on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 am

Add "Gpodder" and "Mail" to the custom-menu-entries file as everything there will show up on the top level menu. At this point, either add the "Lock Screen" to the same custom-menu-entries file, or look at the ~/.fluxbox/keys file and add a keyboard shortcut for the "Lock Screen" entry if you need it, but don't necessarily need it to be in your menu.
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Kendall on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:27 am

@Gnarly:

I made a .desktop file for the "Lock Screen" thing and it's attached to this post. Unzip the archive, copy the file to your /usr/share/applications directory and it should show up in your menu under "System -> Preferences -> Lock Screen". You may need to toggle the menu icons for it to show up, but it'll end up there.

EDIT: I just checked and you probably won't have to toggle the menu icons for it to show up.

EDIT 2: I might go ahead and put this in mint-fluxbox-tools for an update. Thoughts, anyone?
Attachments
lock-screen.tar.gz
(310 Bytes) Downloaded 144 times
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Auto-login installation option

Postby agwblack on Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 am

Just a very minor bug related to installation. I checked the Log in Automatically option during the install, but when I boot up I am taken to the login screen. Just something that might be nice to ensure worked properly for the stable release. Any hints on how to get the autologin to work now the system is installed?

[EDIT] Just read the message about updates and slim. Sorted now. Thanks for all your work Kendall. I am loving Mint fluxbox so far - more stable and just as fast as crunchbang on my old Toshiba laptop.
agwblack
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Steely on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 am

Please do not change the Subject of the thread.
User avatar
Steely
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Re: Auto-login installation option

Postby Kendall on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:18 am

agwblack wrote:Just a very minor bug related to installation. I checked the Log in Automatically option during the install, but when I boot up I am taken to the login screen. Just something that might be nice to ensure worked properly for the stable release.

We know about this issue and there's already a fix implemented for the final. Thanks.
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Losgann on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:09 pm

I installed it last night, and am quite impressed. I'm more of an Openbox guy, haven't used Fluxbox much, but you've done a great job from what I've seen so far. Congrats.

So far I've had two small issues. One was the automatic login thing, which I see above you've already dealt with. The second is that I can't adjust the volume — when I click on the volume knob icon in the systray the slider/mixer appears only momentarily, for a fraction of a second, and disappears again before I can even move the mouse up to it. It closes the instant it opens, basically. (I did verify the MD5 checksum and checked the CD for errors before installing — my ISO image and CD were good.) I'm not sure how to help with reproducing this as I don't know what would be causing it to happen; I haven't encountered such a thing before.
User avatar
Losgann
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:34 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby shane on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:04 pm

Gnarly wrote:But I modified the Menu adding a couple of things. All went fine until I then Toggled menu icons on, and then the newly added items where missing. So I added them once again along with the path to the icons and all is good again. It seems all is fine as long as I do not toggle the menu icons on and off?


Hi Gnarly, This is the way the mint-fm2 is made to run. As kendall mentioned, enabling/disabling icons regenerates the menu but the custom entries in ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries are preserved. Please read the wiki page for a full explanation.

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Mint-fm2
User avatar
shane
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby shane on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 pm

I have found a few bugs as well:

- sms1 and skl1 in the Fluxbox startup script try to run scripts that are not present in ~/.linuxmint

- In aptitude, after installation, the LiveCD packages are marked for installation. This could probably be fixed by running aptitude with the --markauto <package-name> option in the LiveCD package's postrm script.

- There are broken links in /etc/rc*.d/ linking to init scripts for powernowd, apmd and mpd. mpd has been replaced but aren't powernowd and apmd required for power management for certain CPUs? They are not installed.

- /usr/share/backgrounds does not contain any widescreen backgrounds.

That's about all for now... All round an excellent release, Kendall!
User avatar
shane
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Kendall on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:04 pm

shane wrote:- sms1 and skl1 in the Fluxbox startup script try to run scripts that are not present in ~/.linuxmint

I currently have this set up so that those scripts are generated the first time running sms and skl respectively. I can fix this in 5 minutes probably.

shane wrote:- In aptitude, after installation, the LiveCD packages are marked for installation. This could probably be fixed by running aptitude with the --markauto <package-name> option in the LiveCD package's postrm script.

Groovy.

shane wrote:- There are broken links in /etc/rc*.d/ linking to init scripts for powernowd, apmd and mpd. mpd has been replaced but aren't powernowd and apmd required for power management for certain CPUs? They are not installed.

Wasn't apmd made virtually obsolete with acpi? Either way, it's easy enough to put these in.

shane wrote:- /usr/share/backgrounds does not contain any widescreen backgrounds.

I'll pull these from the main edition and have an update for mint-artwork-fluxbox very soon.

shane wrote:That's about all for now... All round an excellent release, Kendall!

Thank you sir.

The wiki entry for mint-fm2 probably needs to be updated to reflect the fact that it now uses upstart.
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby shane on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Kendall wrote:Wasn't apmd made virtually obsolete with acpi?

I'm not sure if they are installed in the main edition... but you might be right. I that case, the broken links could just be deleted.
Kendall wrote:The wiki entry for mint-fm2 probably needs to be updated to reflect the fact that it now uses upstart.

When I have some time I'll have a look...
User avatar
shane
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Kendall on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 pm

@shane: Neither powernowd nor apmd are in the Main edition. I'll delete the broken links. Thanks.

EDIT: The kernel doesn't support apmd.
User avatar
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1580
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Asheville, NC, USA

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby Gnarly on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:03 am

Kendall wrote:Add "Gpodder" and "Mail" to the custom-menu-entries file as everything there will show up on the top level menu. At this point, either add the "Lock Screen" to the same custom-menu-entries file, or look at the ~/.fluxbox/keys file and add a keyboard shortcut for the "Lock Screen" entry if you need it, but don't necessarily need it to be in your menu.


Ok thanks! :D


Kendall wrote:@Gnarly:

I made a .desktop file for the "Lock Screen" thing and it's attached to this post. Unzip the archive, copy the file to your /usr/share/applications directory and it should show up in your menu under "System -> Preferences -> Lock Screen". You may need to toggle the menu icons for it to show up, but it'll end up there.

EDIT: I just checked and you probably won't have to toggle the menu icons for it to show up.

EDIT 2: I might go ahead and put this in mint-fluxbox-tools for an update. Thoughts, anyone?


Ok done :D

shane wrote:
Gnarly wrote:But I modified the Menu adding a couple of things. All went fine until I then Toggled menu icons on, and then the newly added items where missing. So I added them once again along with the path to the icons and all is good again. It seems all is fine as long as I do not toggle the menu icons on and off?


Hi Gnarly, This is the way the mint-fm2 is made to run. As kendall mentioned, enabling/disabling icons regenerates the menu but the custom entries in ~/.fluxbox/custom-menu-entries are preserved. Please read the wiki page for a full explanation.

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Mint-fm2


Will do :D


Thanks for all the help guys!!
Gnarly
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby caris_mere on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:19 am

I guess these aren't really bugs, but a question from a problem and a suggestion.

I've had great success with this edition on my HP netbook Mini 2133. I like the speed and size.

I installed first in German and then wanted English. When I changed the language settings and default to English, everything changed except the menu. I didn't think about using the toggle icons to get that changed. Should that would work? I've reinstalled since then in English.

I used decibel, and liked it. However in it's current version when using the file explorer to add files/directories to the playlist only adds the files in the directory, not the sub-directories (not satisfactory for me). I just downloaded the newest version 1.03, and it does support this. I just installed the provided deb. I don't know how it is to add it to the repositories, but it sure would be nice (I think).

Great job!
caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 am
Location: Texan in Switzerland

Re: Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox RC1 Bug thread

Postby markfiend on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 am

I got one: I installed Blender (yeah, I know, in fluxbox, what was I thinking? :lol:)

Anyway the menu items post-install didn't work. I figured out a fix though:

In the menu (~/.mint.fm2/submenus/Graphics) the entries for Blender were as follows:
Code: Select all
[exec] (Blender (fullscreen)) {blender -W} <> #/usr/share/applications/blender-fullscreen.desktop
[exec] (Blender (windowed)) {blender -w} <> #/usr/share/applications/blender-windowed.desktop

I guessed that the nested parentheses were the problem, and lo and behold, when changed as follows Blender launches correctly:
Code: Select all
[exec] (Blender fullscreen) {blender -W} <> #/usr/share/applications/blender-fullscreen.desktop
[exec] (Blender windowed) {blender -w} <> #/usr/share/applications/blender-windowed.desktop


I'm guessing this won't be a persistent change if I install something else, with the menus being auto-generated?
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
User avatar
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:56 pm
Location: Leeds, UK

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests