Cassandra XFCE Community Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Postby Kinne on Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:50 pm

Hm, was I the only person who had problems connecting to http://www.linuxmint.com for the last two days?

Well, one question concerning the XFCE edition. Where is a button on the desktop to shutdown/reboot/standby the computer?
Kinne
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby maty1206 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Kinne wrote:Hm, was I the only person who had problems connecting to http://www.linuxmint.com for the last two days?

Well, one question concerning the XFCE edition. Where is a button on the desktop to shutdown/reboot/standby the computer?

No, you don't. What really happened was that CLem was changing the DSN and he couldn't finished successful. But, now the Linux MInt forum is already working
Thanks CLem
Linux Mint apps translator
maty1206
Level 6
Level 6

Back to Mint Cassandra 3.0....

Postby ElEdwards on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:10 pm

Well, I like how quick and easy the XFCE Community Edition installed but it's just not for me.... I guess I'm kinda used to Gnome, so I've gone back to it.

That's not to say the XFCE Comm Ed isn't a great one... it is! :)

El
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

wicd cisco aironet

Postby michaelpo on Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:03 pm

I had the same card and same problem. I got it figured out. Wicd did not automatically configured the cisco card. I had to go to preference and enter "eth1" at the wifi field. I dont know why wicd cannot do this automatically. It should. At first I thought XFCE mint was no good because of this wicd problem.

persev wrote:Tried the live cd on my Thinkpad t-23 and it looked good but I was hoping for the "slab" type of menu. Problem was that wicd wouldn't connect to my wireless network, didn't even show a network even though my Cisco airo cards lights were flashing. Also, I didn't try to install because I wasn't sure if my Savage S3 card's direct rendering would work (it hasn't with any Ubuntu based distros since dapper). Everything else looked good though, nice selection of software, etc.
Anyone else having problems with the Savage cards lately?
michaelpo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:01 pm

Thanks to everyone who helped test the beta, reported any problems and added their ideas.
I have sent the upgrade Guide to Clem so he can add it to the Wiki.
I have also made a Guide for adding Exaile hotkeys here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9147#29147

Kinne wrote:Well, one question concerning the XFCE edition. Where is a button on the desktop to shutdown/reboot/standby the computer?

You can add a panel plugin called Actions Button.
You can also add a Launcher to the desktop with the command xfce4-session-logout to launch the options you want.
To lock the screen use Control+Alt+Delete.

michaelpo wrote:I had the same card and same problem. I got it figured out. Wicd did not automatically configured the cisco card. I had to go to preference and enter "eth1" at the wifi field. I dont know why wicd cannot do this automatically. It should. At first I thought XFCE mint was no good because of this wicd problem.

The team at Wicd are working on the next release which will better wireless and wired support.
If you tell them what happened they may be able to fix it and add it to the next release. http://wicd.sourceforge.net/phpbb/
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby maty1206 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:17 am

To : merlwiz79

Thanks for your guide for adding Exaile hotkeys.
It's really useful.

I will post in the spanish community and in my blog too.

Cheers

:D
Linux Mint apps translator
maty1206
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cassandra XFCE Community Edition is out!

Postby mintyred on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:44 pm

clem wrote:Hi,

The XFCE Community Edition of Cassandra is out! This is the first Community Edition to release a stable version. Many thanks to Merlwiz for developing and maintaining it.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/cassandra-xfce.html

Clem

This is hands down the best XFCE implementation I've ever seen! I have tried other notables in the past and always went back to Ubuntu (gnome). The XFCE 4 mintConfig Control Panel and configuration utilities are superb. Cassandra XFCE is the first my first exposure to the "Mint" family and I can honestly say I'm here to stay.
mintyred
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nbusy on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:03 pm

Yesterday I installed the Mint XFCE on the second PC at home (pretty old one - PII 400MHz 256MB) in replace of PCLOS 2007.
The first impression - it's AWESOME! I couldn't believe it based on XFCE. I tried SAM 2007 (XFCE version of PCLOS) some months ago but just wasn't able to use it and moved to a standard KDE version.
Working with Mint XFCE was quite different. Everything was smooth and reasonable fast. My congratulations to everyone taking part in the release.

P.S. My first (main) PC runs under Mint 3 Cassandra standard edition without any problem. So, I enjoy complete moving into Mint community.

Thanks,
Nick
nbusy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lolo Uila on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:52 pm

I put the XFCE version on an old P3 system and it runs REALLY well!

CPU: Pentium-III 800MHz (slot-1)
RAM: 512MB PC133
Motherboard: Asus P3B-F (i440BX)
Video: ATI Radeon 64 AGP
Audio: Soundblaster Live PCI
Network: Matrox 10/100 PCI NIC
DVD: Plextor 708A
HD: Maxtor 20GB

This thing rocks the XFCE edition. I thought it would run okay, but it runs much faster than I expected.

It can even use Beryl!!

I was going to throw this old P3 away, but now I'm going to add a 2nd 20G drive and bump the RAM up to 768MB and find this computer a home.

Thanks to Merlwiz and everyone else that made this release possible. You did a really awesome job! This is truely a release to be proud of.

Aloha Tim
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Fantastic!!

Postby ZenDJiNN on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 pm

Words fail me as to how to describe this most amazing distro. Everything works really well, XFCE is finally becoming well honed & a pleasure to use and Mint Install is a dream!! :)

Thank You to everyone on the team, but a special thanks to you merlwiz, for making this happen, and making this the one distro that works straight out of the box on my laptop..... :)

I'm loving it and using it a lot!! :)
ZenDJiNN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akshunj on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:04 pm

Awesome release! It's currently on my wife's laptop. A couple of questions, seeing as the actual Mint XFCE forum seems a little.......bare. Synaptics (the touchpad driver) won't scroll. Anybody have a clue about this?

Also, is there an XFCE applet that handles CPU throttling? I want the processor to step down when the laptop is on battery. Thoughts?

Again, great release!

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Touchpad scroll - xorg.conf

Postby mintyred on Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:34 pm

akshunj wrote:Synaptics (the touchpad driver) won't scroll. Anybody have a clue about this?
--Akshun J

Had the same issue on my laptop. It seems the correct drivers were loaded, but the xorg file wasn't configured. You may need to add the following to your xorg.conf file...

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Under the last entry for Input Device you need to add and entry for synaptics. These can be modified to your taste, but work well for me.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "synaptics"
Identifier "touchpad"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "LeftEdge" "1700"
Option "RightEdge" "5300"
Option "TopEdge" "1700"
Option "BottomEdge" "4200"
Option "FingerLow" "25"
Option "FingerHigh" "30"
Option "MaxTapTime" "180"
Option "MaxTapMove" "220"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "100"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.09"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.16"
Option "AccelFactor" "0.015"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
EndSection

Then inside the Server Layout section (near the end of the file) enter the following line as the last entry before End Section:

InputDevice "touchpad" "AlwaysCore"

You'll need to restart xserver (or just reboot). If this doesn't work or you would like more detailed steps post back. Also out of curiosity what model laptop is it?
mintyred
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Touchpad scroll - xorg.conf

Postby akshunj on Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:57 pm

mintyred wrote:You'll need to restart xserver (or just reboot). If this doesn't work or you would like more detailed steps post back. Also out of curiosity what model laptop is it?

Thanks! That's what I figured when I finally looked at the xorg.conf file.

And, I've got an Acer celeron model. $349 on-sale at the Big Box and it's all my wife needs. Vista slows it to a crawl, but it races with the mint.

Anyone know anything about a CPU throttling applet for XFCE? I can do it the CLI way, but I'd prefer not to...

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks!

Postby gtcaz on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:30 am

Another big thank you! I'm loving the main Mint release on my Thinkpad T40, and decided to nuke the (sadly) moribund Kanotix distro currently on my ancient i1400 Thinkpad (we're talking Mobile Celeron at 366 MHz) and install Mint XFCE. It works great!

Keep up the good work!
gtcaz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: wicd cisco aironet

Postby persev on Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:28 am

[quote="michaelpo"]I had the same card and same problem. I got it figured out. Wicd did not automatically configured the cisco card. I had to go to preference and enter "eth1" at the wifi field. I dont know why wicd cannot do this automatically. It should. At first I thought XFCE mint was no good because of this wicd problem.

After reading this I decided to retry the live cd and it did work, Wicd is not as simple to use as network-manager but it does seem to have some nice features though. Still no response from anyone on the Savage DRI issue though. Here is a link to a fix for those using old thinkpads with savage cards. You will have to redo this every time you upgrade your kernel though. It seems that the problem lies with Xorg since version 7.1.1. You will have to substitute your kernel version, find out what it is by typing "uname -r" in a terminal.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor ... g=37;att=0
persev
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements