Cassandra KDE Community Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

there is a new one coming... 3.0r1.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
thecdn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thecdn »

Just wanted to congratulate the devs on this kde version. I wanted to like regular mint as it is beautiful and feature filled, but I just couldn't make myself like gnome, I'm a kde guy at heart.

I will be checking this out in the days ahead to see how it compares against my existing installs of pclinuxos, arch, and sidux.
akshunj

A great debut, but some problems...

Post by akshunj »

I think the over-arching theme here is that this was a great debut for the community-supported edition of mint-KDE. Not quite the level of polish we've come to expect, but we all know that Boo is new to this and he's doing his best. Let's just help him identify the bugs so he can come out of the gates even stronger next time. That's called "community involvement" and I'm sure he appreciates it.

That said, the upside here is huge! A *good* KDE menu?! I LOVE it! The standard KDE menu is a pile of crap that ultimately drove me to Mint. The Mint menu for both Gnome and KDE is the bomb. The Look N' Feel is awesome, and the speed and stability seems good. Adept is pretty slick. Didn't even know it existed till last week.

Downside. Too many of those stupid "K" applications taking up space in the menu. I don't even know what half of them do! Can we pare things down to "one task, one application", and the user can choose to install more afterwards? Also, there are some little niceties that should be enabled: white Ubuntu standard mouse pointer, NumLock on, disable the bouncing busy-cursor (sooooo annoying), etc. These are not show-stoppers, just things that contribute to the level of polish. Also, the default theme for KDE is gorgeous, but a tad buggy with some screen artifacts. At least, that's what I see using the Nvidia proprietary driver. Maybe another theme would be better.
Clearly, the install bug *is* a showstopper, so here's to a fixed 3.0r1 release!

Anyways, that's my 2 cents. Take it or leave it...

--Akshun J
sprint
Level 1
Level 1

Bug

Post by sprint »

mikpap wrote:Great news. I downloaded it and I have just found a bug in the installer (there wasn't in the 013 Beta). the manual disk partition crushes the installation. Any ideas why?

I have the same problem as mikpap,the installer crashes downloaded at the 4th try, took over 6hours , normal 355KB/sec

greetings
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

sprint: Yes there is a bug and it will best fixed. IF you haven's already done so, you can use the work around that was posted origninally by clem, and reposted by EIEdwards above.
@go
Level 1
Level 1

Post by @go »

I have gnome version at home and I just installed yesterday the kde version on my work notebook and... WOW!!!! It's even better then the gnome version!!!
I had the manual partitioning issue but when I readed the release notes I found the workaround, I was lucky that the wireless adsl worked so I had the possibility to read the release notes. It would be great if there was an option to reuse existings Linux partitions too.
But I found an issue on the NTFS configuration tools, as it is still using gksu instead of kdesu so I had to change it manually.
And the popup above the main menu get partially hidden by the panel and the last rows are not readable.
At last I have to say that I find Konqueror much better then Dolphin as a file manager.
I tryed many distro but I think this is the top!!!
Go on this way!!! :wink:
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

The new release announcement listed a bunch of programs that were left out of the KDE-CE mini disk to reduce the size to fit on a CD-R. After an install, when you go online to update your system, will those files be listed automatically or do you have to install them one by one yourself?
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

From Linux Today - Linux Mint Takes on a KDE Flavor.

You can see it http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.ph ... 6-NW-DB-RL
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg »

I tried installing the KDE mini-edition, using the work-around for the install bug. It didn't work for me, the install still failed in the partioning phase. I'll go back to the Gnome version, it works OK for me most of the time.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the answer is no you can not add kde from the live KDE DVD.

A live CD/DVD is like an installed system that has been tared up and compressed to fit to fit on a CD/DVD.
ie it is an image of a system.
so the install process is like a big file copy to your system.

there are no .deb files on the CD/DVD that you can install.

KDE Mint comes from the Ubuntu repos and not the Kubuntu repos.
so you could use apt-get or synaptic to install KDE-desktop (I think) to get KDE on your system as well.
you could then choose at login which DE to login to.

Remember though that not all Mint applications will work on KDE.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”