Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” RC. Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” New features at a glance: New Software Manager 30,000 packages Review applications straight from the Software Manager APT daemon Visual improvements New Backup Tool Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks Backup/Restoration of the software selection Menu improvements Editable items Transparent menu Always start with favorites “Add to” shortcuts Desktop [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1386

Clem.
alligoodw

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by alligoodw »

I'm having a serious Nvidia problem with this version of Ubuntu 10.4/Linux Mint 9RC.

Personal Information:

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6000
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7150m/nForce 630m
Mint Edition: Linux Mint 9 RC - Isadora

If I reboot my system with the Linux Mint 9 cd in the tray, reboot presents me with a garbled screen. As a result, it's impossible to install Linux Mint for trial purposes. I can't choose preferences for installation because the screen is illigble. How do I overcome this problem?
algarues

Post by algarues »

Could you please check that the bug that prevented the microphone to work in virtualbox that came out with the latest versions of ubuntu (e.g. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/346686) is not affecting you?

I could not use my mic in virtualbox in linux mint 8 (KDE version), and I tried all possible solutions posted in various forums.

Regards
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Excellent job Clem and the Developers :D :D
I've only been running it for about 15 minutes on the Live CD but I'm impressed already.
Particularly like the new Software Manager
SeanBest

Post by SeanBest »

Only problem I’m noticing so far is that in VirtualBox 3.1.4 I cannot use the GuestAdditions with Mint 9. Upon reboot it says it’s running is low graphics mode. Only option that works is to run in low graphics mode for this one session and to continue doing that. I’ve run Ubuntu 10.04 in the same VBox 3.1.4 and used the GuestAdditions w/o error so I’m not sure of the problem. I’ uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times just to be sure.

From what I did play with in the small little window, it was great. Can't wait for the final version!
SeanBest

Post by SeanBest »

Upgrading to VirtualBox 3.1.6 fixed the problem. Thought I was up to date already. My bad!

Go Mint! W0000t!
jasonga

Post by jasonga »

I installed in this afternoon on my work computer with VMware player within Windows 7 (it's a work computer, I don't have a choice :) ), and haven't run into any problems at all so far.

(Although I do wish mintUpdate would be fixed so the user can enter a username and password for an authenticating proxy. Maybe in Mint 10. :) )
Logs_Con

Post by Logs_Con »

alligoodw wrote:I'm having a serious Nvidia problem with this version of Ubuntu 10.4/Linux Mint 9RC.

Personal Information:

Laptop: HP Pavilion dv6000
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 7150m/nForce 630m
Mint Edition: Linux Mint 9 RC - Isadora

If I reboot my system with the Linux Mint 9 cd in the tray, reboot presents me with a garbled screen. As a result, it's impossible to install Linux Mint for trial purposes. I can't choose preferences for installation because the screen is illigble. How do I overcome this problem?
Hi there,

Have a look at my first post in this thread

the link to the ubuntugeek site has a possible fix for nvidia problems with the livecd.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Downloaded and installed first thing this morning. So far, the the results are as expected. The usual superb job. Congratulations to clem and the dev team on another success.

ikey,

Your new Update tool works a treat. Got almost all of my apps back without searching and installing one by one (once I installed the required repos)
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I installed the repos yesterday and did as suggested in adding the mirrors to my sources list. My question is am I suppose to leave it like that or do something different once everything is worked out? Thanks in advance.

Robin
distoaddict

Post by distoaddict »

whoo-hoo -downloading now.
aelfinn

Post by aelfinn »

Hi Clem, do you think you could include the Ubuntu Tweak repo as well as the program in the final version of Isadora? I think it's one of the most helpful programs around, and having it there after installing Mint would be great. :)
Mutesounds
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mutesounds »

Running it right now. Stable for me and runs beautifully. Great job and congratulations.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Cool will have to try this out when I get my new Hard drive through the post... although I will probably wait for the KDE version :D
distro hopper

Post by distro hopper »

1.) When I added my nvidia graphics drivers and rebooted, GDM did not load. I was prompted at a console screen. I rebooted since, and GDM starts. It was the fact that it didn't the first time that bothers me. When this happened though, I logged in and ran 'startx' to get to the desktop.
EDIT: GDM still does not always load. Still occasionally getting prompted with console login!!!

2.) byobu/screen aren't working. I just have a blank terminal window when trying to start it. The cursor just flashes.
EDIT: This is due to using a backed up setting file. Removing the old files (.screenrc and ~/.byobu) fixed it.

3.) The new boot/spash screen looks like garbage. Fonts are all chunky and the logo is really (too) bright.
Last edited by distro hopper on Tue May 04, 2010 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Great!!! Awesome!! Wow!!

Thanks, Clem . . . that was 'fast' :mrgreen:

I am downloading via Torrent now. I always download an 'iso' using the torrent files ... just seems to be a more stable download.

I'll use and test the Main/Gnome version of Mint-9 until the Xfce CE is released.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Here's a quick suggestion to add before the final release.

Many users with common nVidia video chip sets (GeForce 6150 and 7150) and others are getting garbled video from booting off the live CD. This happens in Ubuntu 10.04 as well as the RC of Mint 9. The workaround is easy, and it would be easy to add this workaround to the menu choices on the Live CD options screen. All that is needed is to add . . .

Code: Select all

i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa
. . . to the end of the boot parameters. Call it the "Video Errors VESA Boot Option" or some such, and save many users the frustration of having to find this out for themselves. After installation, adding the proprietary nVidia driver solves future problems.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Heh, the main site is down right now including the blog (for me anyways). Wonder why? :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Stennie

Post by Stennie »

Mint 9 RC is Fantastic, not one bug report, every thing just works.
My scratchy sound problems are history to.
My wireless connection works straight out of the box to, did not work in Ubuntu 10.04 :D
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I have been running Mint 9 live on my Acer Aspire One the whole afternoon. Using Bluetooth, WLAN, Youtube, The Swedish TV:s "Play", The Swedish Radios "Direct Listening", Logging in to my bank, Running Compiz......Everything seems to work right out of the box! I haven't found any bug yet! :mrgreen:
Nice backgrounds as well. Clem, You and your team has made an excellent RC! :lol:
Thank you very much, all of you!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”