Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mmesantos1

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by mmesantos1 »

Well so far only 2 issue's found, I believe they are upstream issues since i had them with Ubuntu 10.04. First after I installed Nvidia driver plymouth boot screen resolution changed and looks awful. As if resolution set very low. 2nd issue when compiz is on and i change my mouse x11 theme I cannot se it change it allways stays the default white mouse pointer, though when i take a screen shot I can see the mouse pointer that I selected. It does not matter if I restart the PC or just the x-session. Also if my mouse is in an active window in most cases I will see the correct mouse theme. Not sure how to fix these issues on my own. SO far everything else seems to be working fine.

Also great job Mint Team and Devs on this release. :)
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

My only issue is one of my own. The Hard Drive I'm trying to use seems to be damaged because when I try to put Mint 9 on it somewhere down the like it'll say it failed to install something and that it may be a disk issue. I guess I'll go look around the basement for another hard drive...
goatfoot

Post by goatfoot »

Hello! I have been using Mint sense Ada. I am now running Gloria and have never had a lick of trouble with it. The RC just released is a different story. The live CD starts to boot and just when X should start My monitor goes dark with the message "no signal". I checked the disk and the mid-sum is good.

I then downloaded Ubuntu and burned it to disk and it didn't get as far into booting as Mint did. I get a purple screen and then I get a dark screen with "no signal." Tried a couple more Ubuntu flavors with the same result.

I've tried many distros but I use Mint and, as one of these days you'll stop supporting it, want to upgrade with a clean install (I've tried to update the other way but that did not go well). Previous Ubuntu based releases have never been a problem. My system is as follows:

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor
Memory : 3988MB (787MB used)
Operating System : Linux Mint 7 Gloria - x64 Edition
User Name :
Date/Time : Wed 05 May 2010 02:50:41 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 9600 GT/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
-Input Devices-
Power Button (FF)
Power Button (CM)
Macintosh mouse button emulation
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Microsoft Microsoft Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
Print_to_PDF
PSC-1400-series : <i>(Default)</i>
-IDE Disks-
-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH08LS10
ATA ST3500620AS
ATA ST3320620AS
HP DVD Writer 1040d
Generic USB SD Reader
Generic USB CF Reader
Generic USB SM Reader
Generic USB MS Reader

My monitor is an ACER 23", It'd break more poor little heart to have to stop using Mint. Can anybody help me with this? It would sure be appreciated.

Thanks
goatfoot
Level 1

Private messageE-mailTop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dragbug

Post by dragbug »

Rob Brill wrote:Hi,

Linux Mint 9 RC 'Isadora' x64bit Edition

x64bit Edition

During the installation process, Yes at 85%, i have waited for
at least 4/5 minutes for dpkg to finish its work but all went good
after that. People should be patient and wait for dpkg to do its job.
I guess you missed the part where I said it FREEZES my computer. Perhaps I should have used the word lockup instead of freeze? As in no response, computer stops working. The 32 bit also takes a few minutes to finish this process but it doesn't lockup. The mouse still functions, I can still use programs...ect. So thanks for letting me know I need to be more patient. That was very helpful.
brucedp

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" released!

Post by brucedp »

[I realize an rc is not released, but it will be very similar the released version]

IMHO, my bottom line summary:
*I see no reason to switch from Linux Mint 7 to use Linux Mint 9. Between lm7 and lm9, I saw no improvement in performance, network connectivity, etc. Linux Mint 7 is easier to configure and use, has less issues to fix / make work, and allows you to do so much more with less effort. However lm7 will soon not be supported, and like other old distros, lm7 repositories will eventually dry up and go away sooner than I would want.

lm9 issues:

-The default PulseAudio manager is an un-configurable, thus unusable volume control/mixer for my hardware (see below). I had to use Synaptic Package Manager to install the Gnome ALSA mixer to be able to control the PC's audio.

-Grub was changed to Grub 1.98 which is like Grub 2 = more difficult to work with than with the older grub version used in lm7.

-No root login: Yes-Yes-Yes, we all know "No One Should Use Root Login". Using CLI (command line) to make administrative changes could be a real pain for those not comfortable or wanting to use command line, and it retreats Linux backwards to the days of ol' Redhat 6 Linux where you had-to use CLI to get anything done (yuk).

Linux Mint is currently based on Ubuntu which the cause of the above issues. I will continue to use my beloved Linux Mint 7 until it is too old. Meanwhile I will use the time to look for a new distro that does not deal with or plagued by egos, arrogance, and or politics.

My thanks to the Linux Mint team, it has been great until it all changed after lm7.

My hardware:
Mobo: ECS GeForce6100PM-M2
Video: integrated GeForce6150SE Nforce430, set to use 256Mb
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9750, 64-bit 2.4 GHz
Ram: 4 Gb
OpticalDrive: sata CD/DVD burner
Hdrive: sata II 160Gb:
sda1, sda2, sda3, (different Windows versions),
sda4 extended partition, sda5 swap,
sda6, sda7, sda8 (different Linux versions)
Last edited by brucedp on Sat May 22, 2010 1:31 am, edited 5 times in total.
billril

Post by billril »

Marvelous! Just upgraded and this is so good, the software installation is a breeze. Everything is working fine.
Thanks guys you are really great!!
cheers :D
Bill
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

dragbug wrote:
Rob Brill wrote:Hi,

Linux Mint 9 RC 'Isadora' x64bit Edition

x64bit Edition

During the installation process, Yes at 85%, i have waited for
at least 4/5 minutes for dpkg to finish its work but all went good
after that. People should be patient and wait for dpkg to do its job.
I guess you missed the part where I said it FREEZES my computer. Perhaps I should have used the word lockup instead of freeze? As in no response, computer stops working. The 32 bit also takes a few minutes to finish this process but it doesn't lockup. The mouse still functions, I can still use programs...ect. So thanks for letting me know I need to be more patient. That was very helpful.
Sorry dragbug.

Now i understand you and your irony. I think i deserved it.
Give Linux Mint Gnome RC x64 one more chance. If you have
time, do a new installation and check if the problem persists.
Well, we'll have a final version of the Gnome x64 edition and
i believe everything will be ok. This x64 RC is very promising
and very good.

Thanks Clem and the Linux Mint Team.

Cheers
Roberto
vincent

Post by vincent »

brucedp wrote:-Grub was changed to Grub 1.98 which is like Grub 2 = more difficult to work with. Just opening the 'Start-up Manager' will make changes to the boot loader without allowing you to cancel out. You need to use root or administrator capabilities to modify the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. This is more difficult to do than with the older grub version which is used in lm7.

-There is no root login with lm9rc . The user you create during the install is given basic administrator capabilities. But it is not given all capabilities like a root login in lm7. You need to use 'Users and Groups' to modify that user you created during the install to give it all the capabilities (similar to a root login). This also means without a root login, in lm9rc you are forced to give the session password each and every time an administration change is to be made. This also forces grub.cfg changes to be made using CLI (command line). This could be a real pain for those not comfortable or wanting to use command line, and retreats backwards, harkening back the days of ol' Redhat 6 Linux where you had-to use CLI to get anything done (yuk)
I just wanted to make a few comments...

First, yes, Grub 2 is different and seems to be more complicated than Grub Legacy ever was. However, there definitely are some improvements, and you don't have to use Startup Manager to configure Grub 2. Rather, you can easily tweak some common settings in /etc/default/grub, add your own custom boot commands to /etc/grub.d/40_custom if necessary, and then update the grub.cfg file with "sudo update-grub", which ensures that your grub.cfg file stays intact and error-free (you're not actually supposed to edit the grub.cfg file by hand). I suggest you learn a bit more about Grub 2 before making any quick judgments about it...but if you find that you utterly detest it, or you aren't willing to learn anything new at the moment, you can just install Grub Legacy back into your MBR. (And yes, you do need root privileges to modify grub.cfg, which is the same for menu.lst with Grub legacy...how is there any difference?)

There should be no need to login into X as root in the first place. This topic has also been brought up many times...fact is, you should never login as root, especially not for day-to-day usage. Using your computer as a normal unprivileged user and using commands prefixed with sudo to administer your system is the safest and preferred method.
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

vincent wrote:
brucedp wrote:-Grub was changed to Grub 1.98 which is like Grub 2 = more difficult to work with. Just opening the 'Start-up Manager' will make changes to the boot loader without allowing you to cancel out. You need to use root or administrator capabilities to modify the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. This is more difficult to do than with the older grub version which is used in lm7.

-There is no root login with lm9rc . The user you create during the install is given basic administrator capabilities. But it is not given all capabilities like a root login in lm7. You need to use 'Users and Groups' to modify that user you created during the install to give it all the capabilities (similar to a root login). This also means without a root login, in lm9rc you are forced to give the session password each and every time an administration change is to be made. This also forces grub.cfg changes to be made using CLI (command line). This could be a real pain for those not comfortable or wanting to use command line, and retreats backwards, harkening back the days of ol' Redhat 6 Linux where you had-to use CLI to get anything done (yuk)
I just wanted to make a few comments...

First, yes, Grub 2 is different and seems to be more complicated than Grub Legacy ever was. However, there definitely are some improvements, and you don't have to use Startup Manager to configure Grub 2. Rather, you can easily tweak some common settings in /etc/default/grub, add your own custom boot commands to /etc/grub.d/40_custom if necessary, and then update the grub.cfg file with "sudo update-grub", which ensures that your grub.cfg file stays intact and error-free (you're not actually supposed to edit the grub.cfg file by hand). I suggest you learn a bit more about Grub 2 before making any quick judgments about it...but if you find that you utterly detest it, or you aren't willing to learn anything new at the moment, you can just install Grub Legacy back into your MBR. (And yes, you do need root privileges to modify grub.cfg, which is the same for menu.lst with Grub legacy...how is there any difference?)

There should be no need to login into X as root in the first place. This topic has also been brought up many times...fact is, you should never login as root, especially not for day-to-day usage. Using your computer as a normal unprivileged user and using commands prefixed with sudo to administer your system is the safest and preferred method.
Well root is a two-sided blade in my opinion. If you can log in as root and are a regular user who can't use BASH then you have to worry about things gaining access to important files that shouldn't but without it they might not be able to figure out how to do anything. I myself am only starting to use bash (I got excited when I put in shutdown -h now for the first time yesterday).
chipps61

Post by chipps61 »

My machine is a 2006/2007 Toshiba Satellite A205-S5804 Laptop, 2GB Ram, Intel Dual Core, Intel graphics, older Realtek wireless... and I had zero issues with the Mint 9 RC running from the Live CD (Gnome 32 bit) for most of the evening last night. I will probably wait for the official release before doing the actual install and replacing my Mint 8 installation, but am impressed with what I saw from the Live CD. Now I'll keep reading and see how everybody else is doing. :mrgreen:
dragbug

Post by dragbug »

Rob Brill wrote: Sorry dragbug.

Now i understand you and your irony. I think i deserved it.
Give Linux Mint Gnome RC x64 one more chance. If you have
time, do a new installation and check if the problem persists.
Well, we'll have a final version of the Gnome x64 edition and
i believe everything will be ok. This x64 RC is very promising
and very good.

Thanks Clem and the Linux Mint Team.

Cheers
Roberto
Thanks for understanding. I tried it 4 times and it consistently locks up during the dpkg part at 85%. I don't think trying again will make any difference unless they changed something in the ISO since releasing the RC build. Ubuntu 10.04 works fine and since LM9 is based off Ubuntu, I am hopeful that by the time it releases officially it will be working as well. In the mean time I am running the 32 bit and enjoying it.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Does Skype work in this release ?
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

I've just installed the 9 RC on my netbook, and configured it in the manner I described here:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=21530

Maximus is running, but the windows do not lose their title bars. Anyone have any ideas?
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

installed LM9 RC on compaq small factor P4 1.8GHz 2GB ram, Nvidia 6600GT, so far no issues. have noticed that it takes longer to boot up then LM8

so far so good.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
denyu

Post by denyu »

a little bit review of my personal feeling when running this RC

downloading rc iso... burn and run the iso.
Starting Isadora RC, get purple dark color on the desktop... same with Ubuntu 10.04 not a nice welcome dough... so change monitor refresh rate and resolution, and then change again to default setting. Wow what a nice minty green view love it.

Check pre-installed software, i hate when seeing gwibber there, I don't think use it a lot. We are desktop user, so I believe rather than opening facebook, twitter, or any social network through gwibber i choose full screen with browser where those social thing intended to be.

Welcome sound.
Can we do something about it... it's too plain. Sorry if compare to Lucid (Mint 9 based on it anyway) we are just to plain. First impression count dough.

Software manager
can't wait to use it (very tempting list)

Backup tool
nice set of tools even I don't want to retrieve any of my backup in the future but it is insurrance :D

any way really can't wait for full release, but for dev take your time wisely if I'm not wrong this is LTS right? we hope more for someting labeled as LTS

Nice work for clem and team
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

This is a wonderful release. It appears to be fast, smooth and nimble.

So far, little glitches I have found are:

(EDIT: changing icons works just fine - just don't look for a button after properties-edit, just go straight to the icon itself in properties and click on it).

* the installer, at one point, had contents in the window longer (vertically) than was space allotted for that in it's window.

* with Skype installed (it worked perfectly in Mint 7), there is strong background noise (like when your TV is not on a channel with a snowstorm on screen - same sound) and voice is very faint. I had seen some controls about microphone gain and all, but I do no understand their function. in the past, in Mint, I had to tell Skype NOT to automatically adjust microphone levels for it to work (that's a bug workaround and it works perfectly after that), and adjust the input microphone level in Mint to increast the input volume by at least 50% so the person can hear. once again, with these settings, it worked perfectly. just not in Mint 9.

Recommendation for Mintinstall:

It would be nice to have the choice between icons and a sort of tree structure - I was looking for Unetbootin, and it's not always clear where to look for something if you don't know beforehand and it doesn't fall into the obvious category of, say, word processor.

So it seems good, but a bit too oversimplified making it difficult if you don't know what category to look in.
Last edited by Timmi on Fri May 07, 2010 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Timmi wrote:This is a wonderful release. It appears to be fast, smooth and nimble.

So far, little glitches I have found are:

* not possible to edit an icon on an item in the programs list (I believe I remember this as being mentioned as being possible).
I just checked to make sure but I can change a program icon with no problem by right-clicking on the program (any program listed in the Mint Menu), selecting "Edit Properties" from the context menu and then clicking on the icon in the properties window. This takes me to a file manager window where I can browse for a different icon. I select the icon I want, click on "Open" and my icon is changed in the "Edit Properties" window. Close the properties window and the icon should be changed for the program in the Mint Menu.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
deka316

Post by deka316 »

Hi, I have been using ubuntu 10.04 for a few days and have liked it so far. I saw that the Linux Mint 9 RC came out and I downloaded it and used unetbootin to install it on another smaller section of my hard drive. The install went great but when the computer rebooted all I saw was the cursor flashing for a few moments, the screen flickered green like it was going to show the gui for Grub and then it booted 10.04 again which I am guessing is first on the list of entries in my Grub list... I can see that the LM is separated because I see a mountable file system on my top panel. Problem is, I know nothing about editing grub! I can post any outputs needed although I was not sure which one would help in this situation. I'd really like to try out the RC, can someone help me out? Thanks in advance! -deka-
Timmi

Post by Timmi »

(EDIT)

Forgive me, I need to learn how to read... after edit properties, I was looking for something that says browse for icon like in windows... I simply speed-read through your reply and overlooked "click on icon".
Last edited by Timmi on Fri May 07, 2010 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
wesley

Post by wesley »

love it so far, use mint4wim, how mount windows partition?

cheers

Return to “Releases & Announcements”