Do you use Beagle search?

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.

Do you use Beagle search?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:34 am

Yes
3%
No
76%
Not sure what it is
7%
Once in a blue moon
14%

Total votes: 122

facade47

Post by facade47 »

No. I know where my stuff is, and when I try to find system files, Beagle displays useless results.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

No, No, No!

Google also has something out there, but better to keep away from them indexing your PC.

I'd found it was a set of interesting tools, but as someone else has said, it is a resource hog.

BTW, I thought that just backing things up would be the better, safer solution. If you can't find it would any one of these apps really do it for you?

That opinion might be contrary to the point here, but think about it for a minute.

I keep a good deal of things in Cyberspace that allows me to bring it all back together again i.e. GMail, and my server.

Adler
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

It's also worth noting that Linux comes with a couple of very useful search tools already!

I'm thinking of locate, find and grep.

Locate works pretty well for me, but it relies on a database that's updated daily, much like beagle. So if the file you're looking for has been placed before it has had a chance to be indexed then it won't find it.
dgittler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dgittler »

nelamvr6 wrote:It's also worth noting that Linux comes with a couple of very useful search tools already!

I'm thinking of locate, find and grep.
I've played with Linux installations for years and can honestly say I have no clue what those commands are and how to use them.

Newcomers to Linux, looking for a system that just works, won't know about those commands and won't be looking to learn the CLI (like me.) If there's something I want to try with my system, I just find a site similar to ubuntuguide.org, cut and paste command line text and hope and pray that it works.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

For locate, all you need to run is "sudo updatedb" and it'll be up to date again.

Clem
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

clem wrote:For locate, all you need to run is "sudo updatedb" and it'll be up to date again.

Clem
Thanks for the tip!

Is the database updated daily anyways?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I actually don't know :) I was under the impression it was updated at boot time.

Clem
Sagasha

Beagle

Post by Sagasha »

I don't think it's installed by default in the KDE Community Edition.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Beagle

Post by nelamvr6 »

Sagasha wrote:I don't think it's installed by default in the KDE Community Edition.
Which, Beagle or Locate?
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

clem wrote:I actually don't know :) I was under the impression it was updated at boot time.

Clem
Well, I couldn't find out any more info.

But I added an entry to my crontab so it gets updated at least daily. I don't reboot every day so this should make it more useful.

EDIT:

Ooops! Typed too soon!

There is already a cron job, it's "slocate" in cron.daily. So it is already updated daily by default.
Fergus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fergus »

when I try to find system files, Beagle displays useless results.
i'm with the above. Whenever i have wanted to locate files, beagle has been fairly useless. If 'locate' performs the same operations and is more accurate then i say write, a front end and call it Mint Search or mint find etc.

I do appreciate the need for such an application, an di think there should be one included by default, but not beagle.
lucho_elmillo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lucho_elmillo »

vote for no, i used another programs when i need, i don't like beagle really
ido
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ido »

I voted no, I've used locate for a long time and is enough for my needs.
Ido
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

rahim wrote:
clem wrote:I actually don't know :) I was under the impression it was updated at boot time.

Clem
I think it does. If you want to find out, just try Linux (almost any distro) on an old slow laptop with like 128MB of RAM, and as soon as you log in, the hard drive thrashes away indefinitely. The culprit? updatedb.
well, I don't know if that's true, but there is definitely a daily cron job to update the DB.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

slocate and simply organising my files well does the job for me...

i like beagle because there are times when your memory fails you and u need that helping hand... but losing the availabilty of system resources for that once-in-a-long-while circumstance is not worth it in my opinion.

I voted 'no'.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

dgittler wrote:The only thing I ever search of mine is email and for that I use the search feature in MS Outlook.
MS Outlook?!?! that just sent shivers down my spine... switch to Thunderbird dude... you use Linux... you should know better than to use Outlook... hehe.
"Who are these fools that can't find their things, and why do we let them use computers?"
lol!
Get rid of Beagle; make it an optional .mint install (either from online or maybe a menu option that activates an install script.)
perfectly reasonable...
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do you use Beagle search?

Post by Fragadelic »

clem wrote:Hi,

I would like to know if people actually use Beagle (the integrated desktop search). Because beagle is resource-hungry and actually makes Linux Mint incompatible with a lot of low-memory/older computer specs, I am thinking of removing it.

Please use the poll to answer.

Thank you,
Clem.
lol - I've been removing it on all systems I install Mint onto. Not sure if you remember but I mentioned this a long time ago.

Good to see it may finally be gone.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I don't use Beagle and I don't want use Mono so if it is removed I would be happy!:lol:

Moreover it is useless if one knows correctly arrange his PC... :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Rob Loach
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rob Loach »

A solution you could use is give the user the option to install Beagle or not during Mint Linux installation, informing them that it can potentially slow down low end computers. Also, as Beagle progresses, performance quirks and issues will slowly reside. It is, of course, still a very young project.
linuxviolin wrote:I don't use Beagle and I don't want use Mono so if it is removed I would be happy!
.....Mono is truly an amazing tool. Not using Mono means cutting off your ability to use a huge amount of programs out there. Some of which weren't even originally designed to be run on Linux machines. It opens the market of "Linux Compatible" applications to a huge number.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

@Rob Loach

I'm sorry but Mono is an open-source clone of Microsoft .NET, a re-implementation of a Microsoft technology, a Windows-like approach of the computing. It is a Microsoft-inspired technology. Why should I be running something designed to match a standard created by Microsoft?! :twisted: :wink:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”