Linux Mint 9 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
vincent

Re: Linux Mint 9 released!

Post by vincent »

Ubuntu Maverick/Mint 10 will likely come with an option to use brtfs as your filesystem in the installer. In the meantime, if you really want to jump in and use brtfs, you could check this out: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/btrfs
AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

I am extremely happy!! The Compiz Fusion is really cool!! By the way, you guys promised VLC, which you guys didnt provide :evil:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

AliasM2K wrote:I am extremely happy!! The Compiz Fusion is really cool!! By the way, you guys promised VLC, which you guys didnt provide :evil:
Hey Guy. VLC is in the repo.

Menu> Package Manager> Log in> Search VLC> Select> Install> Rock On
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

AliasM2K wrote:...you guys promised VLC, which you guys didnt provide
VLC (among other things) is included if you downloaded the DVD version.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
patternrecognition

Re: Linux Mint 9 released! - flash WINE and DOSbox Qs

Post by patternrecognition »

I've downloaded linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-amd64 and I am really looking forwad to finally running a 64 bit OS on my AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 1GB DDR after just over 5 years... LOL! Seriously, 64 bit OSes always seemed too buggy and barely faster so I just never bothered. Actually, when my Athlon 64 was brand new I eagerly installed Mandrake 64 (it hadn't become Mandriva yet) and it didn't recognise my video card so I gave up and went with Xandros and WinXP dual boot, then Ubuntu and have now been running Elyssa for approx the last 2 years or so as my main OS with good results. As you can sort of tell I like to wait for stability rather than going with every bleeding ege release ;-)

So anyway my questions are:
  • does anyone know if linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-amd64 includes the 'wrapper' or whatever it's called pre-installed to allow flash to run without fuss?
  • from what I've read the 64bit version of Crossover Deb runs 32 bit Windows aps on Ubuntu pretty well, has anyone tried it or WINE on mint 64?
  • how about DOS box or any other DOS emulator? I would love to run Framework (http://www.framework.com) and a couple of DOS games like Redneck Rampage and wonder if the various DOS emulators work as well for 16 bit aps in MINT 64 as Wine supposedly does for 32 bit Windows aps. (I understand that milage may vary for aps under emulators but I'm interested in knowing if other users have generally had some success equivalent to 32 bit MINT.)
Thanks anyone who cares to post some user experience or info and thanks to all the developers and contributors for making a stable OS that allowed me to go Windows free at home for the past couple years!
vincent

Post by vincent »

Flash comes pre-installed by default, you don't need to install it yourself. As for your other questions, I'm not sure...I do have a Mint x64 system and I am using Wine without any problems, but that's all I can say.
ethan12

Post by ethan12 »

Linux Mint 9 now offers over 30,000 software in the package, and you can review applications as Manager daemon APT, new transparent menu, better look and feel, faster startup and a lot more bug fixes and enhancements.
Brad

Post by Brad »

best mint yes. just need to finish that one based on debian and ur bound to beat ubuntu
Elisa

Re: Linux Mint 9

Post by Elisa »

Is there any problem with linuxMint 9 gnome, dvd - torrent/tracker ??
I can't get it and therefore share/seed it :-|
Other torrents (except the same above but CD version too) are ok:

http://i54.tinypic.com/8vtfkx.jpg
Last edited by Elisa on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 “Isadora”. Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” New features at a glance: New Software Manager 30,000 packages Review applications straight from the Software Manager APT daemon Visual improvements New Backup Tool Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks Backup/Restoration of the software selection Menu improvements Editable items Transparent menu Always start with favorites “Add to” [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1403
Still running the same install successfully, thank you kindly. Please bear with my smugness. :)
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Just an observation...
When bringing up the LM forum, the first Items I see, under Important Notices is re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released (Rules & Notices topic) and Re: Linux Mint 9 Released (Releases and Announcements). That is because the releases were posted as an announcement and don't appear at the board index level.

A person viewing the forum for the first time might think that those releases are the current ones. It could probably be corrected by posting announcements as normal sticky thread topic.

OK... not that important, but it bugs me! :)
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
buntu

Post by buntu »

Hi folks! u talking and talking and talking bout mint 9 if there's mint 11 so 9 is so yesterday...change ur dvd's i mean ur minds! don't care how stable is...
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

buntu wrote:...
Wake up, (l)user!
The 9th version is LTS and that's nothing bad on it even seed the torrents... :roll:
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I'm with Elisa on this one. I tried Mint 11 and had nothing but problems on my hardware. Mint 9, on the other hand, works perfectly. I had to put a bit of effort in to get the drivers to support my system at first, but it is rock-solid since then.

The really funny thing is that Mint 11 runs out of support 6 months before Mint 9, so we'll probably still be talking about Isadora long after Katya is dead and buried :twisted: As for someone slating long-standing members for their choice of conversational topics less than 24 hours after he joins the forum... :mrgreen:
buntu

Post by buntu »

Elisa wrote:(l)user!
show some respect 'homie'! ain't insulting u...
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

(l)user = light user, okay?
Like light dekstop (xfce, lxde etc.), you are light also due - I do suppose so - you are a newbie yet, aren't you? ;-)
Take it easy man, no offending ;)
buntu

Post by buntu »

Got it! 8)
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Oh yeah, i am going to celebrate anniversaries of this release, am sure there is much to look forward to in the newer editions but i'm good, no more for me, have LMDE alongside to keep abreast of the latest development.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
strlen

Post by strlen »

having tried linux mint 12, 10, i am confident that linux mint 9 is most suitable for my taste:) gj linux mint, best linux OS distro ever:)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”