Linux Mint 9 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 9 KDE released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 KDE. Linux Mint 9 KDE New features at a glance: KDE Network Manager New applications New Software Manager 30,000 packages Review applications straight from the Software Manager APT daemon Visual improvements New Backup Tool Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks Backup/Restoration of the software selection Better look & [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1495
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Linux Mint 9 KDE released!

Post by JoeFootball »

And read the Release Notes & What's New.

Joe
JohnKS

Post by JohnKS »

Installed 64 bit KDE. Nice work! Everything running fine. Seems very stable and enjoying the improvements. Thanks for a very nice operating system. I think I can now move to Linux for about 90% of my work. Good wishes.

John
lwrver

Post by lwrver »

The release notes for LM9-KDE state that the AMD64 version has two kernels by default. Would someone care to explain this? Is this normal or is this an anomaly? I've never read any discussion about this on the Ubuntu forums, and it apparently does not exist with the Gnome 64-bit version. What are the effects of this and how does it affect system performance. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I'd like to use the 64-bit version on one of my machines, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I take the leap.

Thanks!
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

All I believe it means is that you will have two different versions of the kernel in your boot loader. Overall not much difference, other than what ever was changed in the newer one. It is possible one kernel won't work well for you, so you can use the other one in that case.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but once installed you could use the package manager to eliminate the kernel you don't need.
Its quite safe to use.
lwrver

Post by lwrver »

Thanks GhoS! That sounds logical, but that is not what the release notes say. They say that there are two kernels by default, and nothing about versions. I'll give it a try.
tonyric

Post by tonyric »

lwrver wrote:Thanks GhoS! That sounds logical, but that is not what the release notes say. They say that there are two kernels by default, and nothing about versions. I'll give it a try.
Yes, this is the bug they are referring to. Once the problem has been fixed it will come to you in mintUpdate and will be corrected.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I'm having problems with the Broadcom STA Driver...

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=52358
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

I prefer Gnome to KDE but I'll give a try :D
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Been a while since I last posted, but wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I have always been a Gnome advocate since I started using Mint. Loved the desktop and features that it had, and used it as my primary for the longest time.

I decided to downloaded the KDE version the other day and ran it off of my USB flash drive because I wanted to test it out. I never had much luck with KDE in the past, but this has really caught my attention! Nicely done! I am now using this as my primary desktop. It's quick and very responsive, I am absolutely impressed!
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

1. Why does it require root password to access already present NTFS partitions on hard disc? (doesn't happen on Kubuntu)
2. Why can't we have a Mint green color scheme on KDE :) ?
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

You can have a mint green one, find one and use it ;) Personally I like the more bluish look of KDE than the green.
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Ahha,

The Long Awaited LM9 KDEx64 :mrgreen: I am A few Days behind, but Downloading now & will Run/Install Soon. I expect the results will exceed my expectations as always, Although even I have some confusion :? as to why there would be 2 Kernels installed by default for the x64.
Thanks to Boo & all whom have made this release possible :mrgreen:
Raffles10

Post by Raffles10 »

When all the backslapping is over I do hope someone is going to provide a fix for the latest nvidia driver install catastrophe. It is a showstopper. :shock:
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Raffles10 wrote:...I do hope someone is going to provide a fix for the latest nvidia driver install catastrophe.
Stay tuned to this topic for what appears to be some good info on that.

Joe
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Just upgraded and so far everything is working like a champ! Corrected two of my issues with the last KDE version. Thanks dev team!
xadax

Post by xadax »

my MINT 9 KDE just crashed, and from some reasons I am not able to install it again. It switches always to teminal

but good thing the good thing was that the camera was running well on Skype without huge headache ( like was withe previous MINT-s). But Thunderbird is scrap it always goes to IMAP and it is not possible to switch it to POP3.

But looks perfect and cant wait a stable version.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

xadax wrote:my MINT 9 KDE just crashed, and from some reasons I am not able to install it again. It switches always to teminal
Does the Live CD session work? Did you verify the MD5 of the ISO? Burn the CD using the slowest speed? Verify the CD integrity via the menu?

You might get better responses by posting it in the Linux Mint KDE forum.

Joe
xadax

Post by xadax »

JoeFootball wrote:
xadax wrote:my MINT 9 KDE just crashed, and from some reasons I am not able to install it again. It switches always to teminal
Does the Live CD session work? Did you verify the MD5 of the ISO? Burn the CD using the slowest speed? Verify the CD integrity via the menu?

You might get better responses by posting it in the Linux Mint KDE forum.

Joe
A day ago inserted again MINT9KDE into reader and installed it without any problems, just like a dream. It seems it is running well now. Great work.
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

I can't believe it, Amarok works with audio CDs. Does anybody know why it works now and wouldn't before? Was it an Amarok problem or a KDE one?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”