Linux Mint 9 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mfklinux

Re: Linux Mint 9 KDE released!

Post by mfklinux »

Thunderbird is scrap it always goes to IMAP and it is not possible to switch it to POP3.

I had this same problem. After about 3 attempts I noticed that there is an option in the setup menu that allows you to choose pop3. I do not remember now how to get back to it to give you the details. It comes a screen or so earlier than you expect it to. Sorry I can't help more but it is there. After getting past that hurdle I have had good luck with Thunderbird. I don't like the 'forward, reply, etc line being below the mail instead of at the top.
florida.stevo

Post by florida.stevo »

Thanks for all the effort to put together such a nice desktop, I cant wait to get it working.

System: celeron 2.2ghz, 512MB RAM, generic onboard video(probably Intel)

Hi, I tried to install Linux Mint 9 Live DVD , but it would not run the live DVD, it never even got to an X screen.
I have always preferred Gnome and I have Mint 8 installed on 2 other computers, but since the gnome DVD wont even display, I decided to try Mint KDE.

The Mint KDE boots perfectly and I found the blue-teal color refreshing :D

HOWEVER

After the HD installation completes sucessfully, and the system is rebooted, I land at the login screen.... I enter the correct login and password (it wont let you use an incorrect password), and X fails to start, then it just drops me back to the login screen again. I cant get past this point. What is the difference in the live DVD's startx configuration and the installed version's startx configuration? I assumed that if the live DVD session was working, that the same parameters would be copied to the new HD configuration, but apparently this is not the case. Even though the login screen is displaying properly, I can't start a console login from the login screen, because the whole screen becomes garbled/hashed and completely unreadable when I try.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

UPDATE: I watched the Mint 9 Live DVD boot screen closely as it progressed and I noticed it appears to try about 15 or so different itterations of xconfig before it finds one that works, could this be part of the problem?

Thanks
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

florida.stevo wrote:...I cant wait to get it working.
While I don't have an answer to your specific problem, I was thinking that you might get better responses by posting it to the Linux Mint KDE forum.

Joe
florida.stevo

Post by florida.stevo »

JoeFootball wrote:
While I don't have an answer to your specific problem, I was thinking that you might get better responses by posting it to the Linux Mint KDE forum.

Joe
Thank you. Done.
Robin

Post by Robin »

mfklinux wrote:Thunderbird is scrap it always goes to IMAP and it is not possible to switch it to POP3.
I ran into that as well, but found a work-around. You'll need to un-install Thunderbird (completely remove it - including config files, easily done in Synaptic) and delete your old Thunderbird profile if it has all those dumb IMAP settings in it.

Now re-install Thunderbird. Before you open Thunderbird for the first time, disconnect your 'puter from the internet! That stops Thunderbird from "automagically detecting your settings" and lets you input the server settings manually! Now plug the cable back in and go for it.

Have fun,
Robin

Return to “Releases & Announcements”