Linux Mint 3.1 Celena is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Yes - I agree - I am trying to do something that is small but heartfelt and as big as i can for being a small one man business too. I am that impressed. I am actually rather blown away!
ANDer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ANDer »

I just did a fresh install of Celena but at the bottom left of my desktop on the tray bar I still see "Cassandra" instead of "Celena".
How to solve it?
Thanks.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

right-click->preferences->applet_text .. change "Cassandra" to "Celena", the next time you'll log in it will be changed.

Clem
akshunj

fabulous!!!

Post by akshunj »

I did a fresh install on my laptop over Cassandra. No issues whatsoever at all. :-)
(Except for the little niggling stuff that Ubuntu passes on...)

To really liven things up, I upgraded to the 2.6.22-12 kernel. There was a wicked bug in the 2.6.20 kernel with my processor throttling when I restored from suspend. With my shiny new kernel, I'm bug-free!!! And everything works!

As a sidenote, I've tracked almost every bug that affects my laptop and documented it in Google Notebook. Almost all of these are Ubuntu bugs that Mint inherited. Nothing is a show-stopper, but it's neat to get them all fixed so that you can have a smoother overall experience. My hardware specs are below:

Acer 5610, dual-core intel @ 1.6Ghz each. SATA hd, intel-hda sound chip, intel integrated graphics @ 1280x800, touchpad, atheros wireless.

My notebook is public, so check it out. It's just a bunch of clippings and links for the issues I had. Hope it helps someone.

--Akshun J
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: fabulous!!!

Post by merlwiz79 »

elder wrote:Can you point on how to do the kernel upgrade to .22?
thx.
Here it was on the paged he linked to.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-upgrade ... -fawn.html
akshunj

Re: fabulous!!!

Post by akshunj »

elder wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:Here it was on the paged he linked to.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-upgrade ... -fawn.html
Thanks, merlwiz79!

But down to bottom of the page I can see the following comment:

# Dexter Filmore Says:
September 22nd, 2007 at 6:03 pm

This so totally gets you into trouble the moment you want to compile something kernel related like vmnet or such. This approach is just plain bull. You need a fresher kernel look at the kernel build howto in the wiki.
Not easy but won’t fsck up your entire system."

So it this a safe procedure or not?
So, right off the bat, let me tell you that this is risky. Clem uses the 2.6.20 kernel in Cassandra and Celena because it's stable. He's being really conservative and that's a "good thing". Also, this is definitely an ugly hack. You're jamming a precompiled kernel that's being tested for a future version (Gutsy) onto Feisty. If you need to do any compiling of tricky kernel modules like for vmware or (surprise) nvidia, you'll be in a whole heap of trouble. I know this from experience. Life is fine on my laptop. But my desktop needed Gutsy dependencies for it's nvidia display driver. 61 packages to be exact. And when I rebooted, I realized that some of those upgrades had broken my system. Live and learn.

The "right way" to do a kernel upgrade is to compile it yourself. I'm not familiar with the Debian way, as I'm an old Slackware vet. But I think a previous post referenced it. That way, you avoid the dependencies that the gutsy kernel brings, but you've got your own sources and headers for compiling mission critical stuff like nvidia drivers.

As a sidenote, I remember every time I installed a new version of Slackware, the FIRST thing I would do is recompile my kernel. Man, linux has come a looooong way since then. You noobs don't know how good you have it!

--Akshun J
akshunj

Re: mint 3.1

Post by akshunj »

john wrote:Hi
I experiencing some issues with Mint 3.1, which I didn't have with 3.0
I have a system with a two HD on ide1 and a sata one.
I use the 1st disk for full installation and the 2nd is a NTFS
Install is without issues, it ask on which disk I wish to install, proposing both disks on ide and the sata, so they are all recognized.
after installation and re-boot, I have an error 16, just after "grub loading..please wait"
Any clues what this could be?
I tried disconnecting the sata, to no avail.
I remove a line in menu.lst pointing to a message (as mentioned above), plus commenting out the UUID references in fstab. Still no joy.
Help is greatly appreciated
thank you

john
Grub doesn't seem to be finding your install. Maybe you can post your Grub config so we can take a look? Again, my Slackware experience betrays me. I know lilo cold, but grub is still a bit of a mystery. I'm sure some of the gurus around here can help you, though...

--Akshun J
grgaud
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 3.1 Celena is out!

Post by grgaud »

clem wrote:Hi,

Linux Mint 3.1 aka Celena is out and available for download:

Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/celena.html
Screenshots: http://www.linuxmint.com/screenshots.html
Download mirrors: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html

Many thanks to Agust for his fantastic artwork and all the people who contributed to this release.

Clem.
Is there any news about Linux Mint 3.1 Celena running the XFCE Community Edition? It's a really great distro, I love it! I was looking for a good reason to wipe Windows XP off my HDD and I found it in Linux Mint 3.0 with XFCE.
If you've never been here before,
make sure you come back and visit again.

grgaud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grgaud »

calumc wrote:the XFCE and KDE guys are waiting for Daryna seeing as its going to have lots of new features inherited from Gutsy
That's an excellent idea, thanks for the info.
If you've never been here before,
make sure you come back and visit again.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”