Linux Mint 3.1 Celena is out!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Postby rfruth on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:03 pm

Just switched to Celena and wow not too heavy or light just right ! :)
rfruth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby n3tfury on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:01 am

I have Celena installed, but i don't know which version. where can i look to find out?
n3tfury
Level 1
Level 1

Postby red-e-made on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:13 am

n3tfury wrote:I have Celena installed, but i don't know which version. where can i look to find out?

Did someone give you a LiveCD or something? Where did you get your Celena? The source would be a good place to start, in terms of checking which version you have.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Postby n3tfury on Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:58 am

i downloaded the .iso myself. all i know is that it's Celena 3.1 from the download page. i've been using it for over a month.
n3tfury
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:34 am

It must be BETA 017 so.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby n3tfury on Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:40 am

clem wrote:It must be BETA 017 so.

Clem

thank you sir. shouldn't there be an easier way for a new Mint user to find out which version they're running? basically i'm taking your word for it because of a timeline that i've given you.

i tried to look for "added on" or a date anywhere in the download section but there is none. it would make users more at ease to see a date so when i totally reinstall i know i'm not doing it for nothing.

other than that, keep up the good work. i'm really enjoying my experience with Mint.
n3tfury
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jbaerbock on Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:05 am

clem wrote:You could add the line in the end of the /etc/gdm/PostLogin/Default file... it's messy but it would work fine.

Clem

Worked like a charm thanks Clem!
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby calumc on Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:31 am

Clem great work, Celena is beautiful.
However i regret to say that i did find one extremely minor bug in the installer. When asked to select a location for a timezone all the time are one hour to the left. EG Dublin showed up as GMT+1
Its nothing major but maybe something to refine in future versions.

Oh and one small idea. I know that you added the online start page in firefox so that you could get a definite number of people using mint but would it be possible for you to make the stats public so we can all see how big its gotten?
calumc
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Wh1sper on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:19 am

calumc wrote:Oh and one small idea. I know that you added the online start page in firefox so that you could get a definite number of people using mint but would it be possible for you to make the stats public so we can all see how big its gotten?

Nice idea! I vote for it.
Mein Blog fuer Nerten und Linux Strategen http://zockertown.de/s9y/
Wh1sper
Level 2
Level 2

Postby clem on Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:03 am

calumc: It makes it easier for us to track, however I'm not entirely sure the way we're counting right now is accurate. phpMyvisites is telling me only 4782 people have opened Firefox in Celena so far (only English speakers are counted but still....). Ou main mirror shows 37204 downloads... so on that mirror alone that would mean 32422 people downloaded Celena but never went to point of launching Firefox in it??? That doesn't make sense... not to mention the fact that there are 5 mirrors as we speak. We can't trust the number of downloads to be the same as the number of users and only some of the mirrors actually track them but we certainly can't trust what the start page says. I'll see if I can store the HTTP data manually instead of using phpmyVisites and if we can get a better idea... but so far we're still in the "we don't have a clue how many users there are" kind of thing :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Wolfen69 on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:33 am

great job, clem. i just switched over from ubuntu just because i like the way the menus are setup and the default look is great.

i fix windows machines for a living, and plan on giving all my customers a copy of celena to try out. it's a great distro, especially for newbs. keep up the good work, and i'll keep seeding. peace.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Missed on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:42 am

Downloaded and installed just fine. It's great. Love it.

I very nearly installed Opera from an AptonCD backup. If I had, then I would not have shown up in the FireFox stats. As it was I went for the Software Portal version.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Ede on Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:27 am

Clem: What about a very small piece of software that just monitors if the user uses mint and when he's online / offline? Ofcourse, mintAssistant could ask if the user would participate and that it's anonymously.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Just as bas as the beta :-(

Postby AndyD on Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:36 am

Downloaded 3.1 and it's just as duff as the previous beta!!

During install as the wizard tried to prepare the hard drive the partition kept mounting and a window opening to show it's contents. Something seems to think it's a removable device?

If done quickly enough the window was closed and the partition unmounted before the install fails. Install completes but then fails to boot as per my report of the beta. The partition cannot be found.

Dug out Mint 3.0 and it installs perfectly.

Sorry guys, but 3.1 so far is far from complete.
AndyD
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ede on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:31 pm

AndyD: That sounds strange. I'we never heard of anyone having similar problems. I had similar problems when using gparted from the LiveCD, but never from the installer-wizard.

3.1 is almost the same as 3.0, just with minor changes, and as far as I know, there's almost no changes in the installer.
Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Installed with only one issue.......

Postby ElEdwards on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:27 pm

Hey :) I love this!

After the installation and the reboot, I was filled with dread when GRUB got hung... but this turned out to be momentary... after about 5 seconds, the normal GRUB menu came up and I was able to continue.

I looked at /etc/grub/menu.lst and found this line in it:
Code: Select all
gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint
which doesn't exist in /etc/grub/, so I commented it out, rebooted and all is fine :)

Thanks, Clem and the Team!! :D
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Regarding the Kernel version......

Postby ElEdwards on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:33 pm

My kernel version is 2.6.20-15. Is this the latest?

I've been installing all kinds of OS's, just playing until I find one I can settle on and I think I've come back home to Mint :)

....but the last time I installed Ubuntu 7.04, I was prompted to download around 130 updates, including kernel 2.6.20-16.

After installing and booting Celena, I have never gotten an "Updates Available" message... is this correct or is something missing?

Thanks! :)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rogerdean on Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:21 pm

That's right, the automatic update manager has not been enabled on boot in Celena. The thinking is that this will help stop people damaging their systems by installing core updates without really knowing the consequences. It's been a bit of a debate, but that's where we are now. I'm in favour.

Of course you can always do a manual update through synaptic, so it's easy enough if you really need to

Roger
rogerdean
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ElEdwards on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Thanks, Roger.... that's just what I did a few minutes ago :)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rfruth on Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:37 pm

AndyD Celena did the same thing to me (install mounted some drives) but have seen gparted do the same thing so I just right clicked on the mounted drives icons & unmounted them then went ahead with install as usual - not too clean IMO but not a show stopper
rfruth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements