Linux Mint 3.1 Celena is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

nice upgrade..!

Postby capricornus on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:33 am

Clem
thanks again for this nice upgrade I'm gladly testing now on a K8/Sempron2600/SATA/256MBRAM/integratedVIA/AGPvideo system.
It installed and works fluently.
Against all advice I upgraded all with Synaptic, 98 files, lot's of stuff, but 'till now no crashes or problems.
Thumbs up.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby AndyD on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:42 am

Ede wrote:AndyD: That sounds strange. I'we never heard of anyone having similar problems. I had similar problems when using gparted from the LiveCD, but never from the installer-wizard.

3.1 is almost the same as 3.0, just with minor changes, and as far as I know, there's almost no changes in the installer.

Something is wrong with the partitioner I guess. I removed the 3 SATA drives and 3.1 installs & boots correctly. 3.0 installs & boots flawlessly with all drives connected. Either the partitioner or some SATA/PATA driver?

3.1 is very slow at offering the list of available drives to install to

Rather disappointed at the lack of response tbh :-(
AndyD
Level 1
Level 1

Impressed!

Postby jeff_s on Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:03 am

Just installed Celena last night.

I'm impressed.

What I like:

1. Beagle no longer in default install. I hated Beagle. It's a massive resource hog, and didn't really provide a service or solve any essential problem - it only slowed down the system. When installing Cassandra, the first thing I'd do is uninstall Beagle. No longer installing Beagle by default was a very wise decision.

2. No automatic update notifier. Lot's of users like having it, so they can keep their systems up to date with latest security patches, bug fixes, and latest goodies. I, however, don't like being nagged about it. I can simply go into Synaptic (or command line with apt-get) and update they system whenever I see fit, and look carefully at what's being updated. Plus, the notifier uses extra resources phoning home, which is something else I don't need. Again, not including the notifier is a wise decision.

3. Awesome artwork. Mint keeps looking better and better. The gorgeous eye candy alone is reason enough to go to Celena.

4. MintMenu seems more responsive.

5. Great default home page in Firefox - with Mint-ified Google search and links to Mint.

6. System is over all more responsive, even more so when I would remove Beagle from Cassandra.

Great job Clem and crew!
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?" - George Carlin

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
jeff_s
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:55 pm

AndyD: this sure sounds like a UUID problem. Are you getting an error messages similar that includes a UUID fault?
I had a dual boot that acted badly after an upgrade to Celena 3.1 from Cassandra on one partition, and a new install of Celena on another. UUID was different in the fstab for the two separate partitions. I would get output in tty that said the 'file system check failed' and 'a maintenance shell is being started' and 'bash group commands not found' and 'apt-get not installed' and 'bash: lesspipe command not found' ... etc.

I missed the uuid fault - I suppose because it was too late to be installing an OS. Since I had data backed up I decided I must have borked something in the upgrade and re-installed using the live cd. I know, a brutal fix. While the install took place, I saw what looked like a momentary mount of drives (drive icons would flash on the desktop). The end result however was that this new install would boot and work, but the other previously installed Celena install on the other partition would not boot. That's when I noticed the uuid error in the tty console when boot failed.

Commands to check the uuid if you don't have them:
sudo vol_id /dev/sdax -u (where x is the number of the location of the partition). You would use: sudo vol_id /dev/hdyx for the IDE drives.
This will display the UUIDs you need to verify on both disks.

Note: Mint doesn't need to use the UUIDs; you can use the device names (/dev/sda1, etc.) instead. That is the advice Scorp123 provided in a backup how to (and I have followed that advice advice). Open fstab in a text editor by typing: sudo gedit /etc/fstab in terminal, and delete the uuids - use the device names. Do this for the fstab on both disks.

Sorry for the length of this post.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:58 pm

Clem, and any one else who gives 2 squats....

I am new to linux and also mint as such.

I have tried linux on 2 other laptops in the past an acer piece of ...and a linux built to order one that has issues - ubuntu installed and even overwitten that with mint - bea was it???

Ok - Celena on a refurb thinkpad R51 - brief comments.

volume buttons work

screen brightness works

trackpad works and double clicks - though no settings. but not wild and anarchic like past experiences with mint and/or ubuntu specifically.
record CD data - yes

play DVD yes

play music CD yes

got wireless running yes

just tried hibernate and it seemed to work - had to press the start button...thought it was going through a restart - but it asked for my password and wifi was still connected! Wow!!! Impressed!

I am currently writing a legit article on linux experience as a noob and also featuring Mint. But since I just installed celena a few days ago and also just received this laptop the same day i loaded 100% formatted over the windows without ever opening up in windows i am still experimenting and working on this before I can continue and finish a more articulate article on linux, noobism/newbism, and Mint Celena in specific.

Seriously, no stuff: This is the finest and most comprehensively satisfying linux experience I have ever had!

Had to comment and please forgive the crudity.

finishe article will be submitted and posted! as a new person to linux I am not rushing it; But Celena is freakin sweeeeet!

Gray Wizard/Norman

p.s. I am deeply impressed!

Very Zen!
Last edited by GrayWizardLinux on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Very Nice Release

Postby porcorosso on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks, Clem and company.

I've examined Linux distributions and some BSDs on occasion over the years just to see at what point it was going to be convenient for me to switch from closed source. It has always been possible, but never very convenient until fairly recently. Actually, some Linux distributions have been there for a couple of years, but I needed for the application software to get where it needed to be. Mind you, Open Source applications have been pretty solid for a long time, but only fairly recently has Microsoft produced products which made the conversion of huge archives of data I need to bring over possible for me.

But this distribution is really VERY nice. Going manually (no restore from previous configurations) from bare metal to fully configured with all of the software I need and ready to be used on-the-job takes me less than 2 hours. Closer to 2 days with WinXP, and about 6-7 hours with Vista. And I'm more familiar with the Microsoft products. That's pretty impressive, any way you turn it.

I like the way your minds work. You've put just what's needed in the distro, especially with Celena. And I've even succumbed to the eye candy thing. Beryl, with all its little quirks, is pretty nice to play around in.

So I guess the 3rd quarter of 2007 was the last quarter for me to run MS software on my admin machines. I've already tested everything I needed to test.

Funny story. One shop I do admin chores at set up a Check Point VPN using the silly software that only works with Internet Explorer. I guess it's okay for an MS shop to do that, but the damned thing doesn't work yet with Vista and IE7! After all of these months! But I got on to the VPN using a Cassandra install running ie4linux as a lark last week. First time I tried. Hilarious, because their guys haven't found a way to get on using Vista yet.

Not that I'm going to run wine or ie4linux on my work machines. I'm sticking pretty much with your distribution as is -- with one major exception. I'm using synaptic to perform updates on a regular basis.

I know, I know. I'm just doing it to see if it actually causes me any problems. So far, nary a one. I'm thinking that's likely to be the case for people who run pretty standard software installations on pretty standard hardware. If I'm wrong, I won't pout or blame you guys. After all, it doesn't take me long to do a clean installation! And it's kind of fun.

8)

Love the toys. You will be getting a donation from me. It won't be big, 'cause I'm semi-retired and not rich. But it'll be heart-felt. And it will be as much as I spend on the TechNet subscription that was supplying me with MS software, at least. I hope everyone who gets this type of use from your distro will think to do the same.

Many thanks for your fine work.
porcorosso
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:16 pm

Yes - I agree - I am trying to do something that is small but heartfelt and as big as i can for being a small one man business too. I am that impressed. I am actually rather blown away!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Liking it

Postby dbcad7 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:20 pm

Installed 3.1 a few days ago. Very nice... a few thoughts on it...

The live CD for some reason only gave me 800x600 which made it difficult (but not impossible obviously) to do the install, because all the "next" and "ok" boxes were not on the screen. This is not a Mint problem exclusively. But I think the installer should be redone to make the windows less than full screen (or resizable). Having done a few installs before, I knew when to just hit enter, others might not.

I also had a lot of crashes, that turned out not to be Mint specific, because I found through Google that they are across many distros. Turning off the cool and quiet in the Bios is apparently the answer because no more crashes since. I had also had them in Xubuntu but very infrequently. .. Mint made me really research the problem. which is a good thing really.

Mint is excellent by the way... but damn you, your making me want to buy a real video card (currently onboard NV 6100) I've seen some really great videos on YouTube with Celina, and I just don't have the oomph to run the cube apparently.

Thanks for a great distro, and keep up the great work !
dbcad7
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msgnomer on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:39 pm

You can change the resolution by pressing F4 at the boot screen err thingie (I'm not sure what it's called :lol: ).
Jess
msgnomer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby wdc on Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:33 pm

I just did a fresh install of Celena deleting Cassandra and it's great. Thanks for this beautiful distro.

Best regards.

Christian from Chile.
wdc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ANDer on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:44 pm

I just did a fresh install of Celena but at the bottom left of my desktop on the tray bar I still see "Cassandra" instead of "Celena".
How to solve it?
Thanks.
ANDer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:26 pm

right-click->preferences->applet_text .. change "Cassandra" to "Celena", the next time you'll log in it will be changed.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

fabulous!!!

Postby akshunj on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 pm

I did a fresh install on my laptop over Cassandra. No issues whatsoever at all. :-)
(Except for the little niggling stuff that Ubuntu passes on...)

To really liven things up, I upgraded to the 2.6.22-12 kernel. There was a wicked bug in the 2.6.20 kernel with my processor throttling when I restored from suspend. With my shiny new kernel, I'm bug-free!!! And everything works!

As a sidenote, I've tracked almost every bug that affects my laptop and documented it in Google Notebook. Almost all of these are Ubuntu bugs that Mint inherited. Nothing is a show-stopper, but it's neat to get them all fixed so that you can have a smoother overall experience. My hardware specs are below:

Acer 5610, dual-core intel @ 1.6Ghz each. SATA hd, intel-hda sound chip, intel integrated graphics @ 1280x800, touchpad, atheros wireless.

My notebook is public, so check it out. It's just a bunch of clippings and links for the issues I had. Hope it helps someone.

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Postby dbcad7 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:46 pm

akshunj

What kind of issues were you having ?

I have been having problems that I think are related to either Cool & Quiet or powernow. (many crashes)

My first fix was to disable Cool and quiet.. and that stopped crashes.. but had odd pauses sometime for many seconds.

I then read of disabling powernow, and re-enabling Cool & Quiet .. this also seems to work. Things seem much better... am almost ready to activate the desktop effects again, and see what happens.

I am guessing you installed kernel manually ?
As I am new to Mint, how did this affect your video drivers ? I take it you disabled, installed kernel, and then got them again ?

A basic how to on how you upgraded the kernel would be appreciated.

Thanks
dbcad7
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dbcad7 on Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:02 pm

Never mind, read your notes.. and figured it out.. and upgraded kernel.

Had to rerun envy... and got everything going again.. but sadly, still issues with running powernow. Have again disabled it, and seems fine for now.

Thanks anyway.
dbcad7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: fabulous!!!

Postby elder on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:24 am

akshunj wrote:I did a fresh install on my laptop over Cassandra. No issues whatsoever at all. :-)
(Except for the little niggling stuff that Ubuntu passes on...)

To really liven things up, I upgraded to the 2.6.22-12 kernel. There was a wicked bug in the 2.6.20 kernel with my processor throttling when I restored from suspend. With my shiny new kernel, I'm bug-free!!! And everything works!

As a sidenote, I've tracked almost every bug that affects my laptop and documented it in Google Notebook. Almost all of these are Ubuntu bugs that Mint inherited. Nothing is a show-stopper, but it's neat to get them all fixed so that you can have a smoother overall experience. My hardware specs are below:

Acer 5610, dual-core intel @ 1.6Ghz each. SATA hd, intel-hda sound chip, intel integrated graphics @ 1280x800, touchpad, atheros wireless.

My notebook is public, so check it out. It's just a bunch of clippings and links for the issues I had. Hope it helps someone.

--Akshun J

Hi there,

Can you point on how to do the kernel upgrade to .22?
thx.
elder
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:26 pm

elder wrote:Can you point on how to do the kernel upgrade to .22?
thx.
Here it was on the paged he linked to.
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-upgrade ... -fawn.html
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby elder on Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:31 am

merlwiz79 wrote:
elder wrote:Can you point on how to do the kernel upgrade to .22?
thx.
Here it was on the paged he linked to.

Thanks, merlwiz79!

But down to bottom of the page I can see the following comment:

# Dexter Filmore Says:
September 22nd, 2007 at 6:03 pm

This so totally gets you into trouble the moment you want to compile something kernel related like vmnet or such. This approach is just plain bull. You need a fresher kernel look at the kernel build howto in the wiki.
Not easy but won’t fsck up your entire system."

So it this a safe procedure or not?
elder
Level 1
Level 1

mint 3.1

Postby john on Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:42 pm

Hi
I experiencing some issues with Mint 3.1, which I didn't have with 3.0
I have a system with a two HD on ide1 and a sata one.
I use the 1st disk for full installation and the 2nd is a NTFS
Install is without issues, it ask on which disk I wish to install, proposing both disks on ide and the sata, so they are all recognized.
after installation and re-boot, I have an error 16, just after "grub loading..please wait"
Any clues what this could be?
I tried disconnecting the sata, to no avail.
I remove a line in menu.lst pointing to a message (as mentioned above), plus commenting out the UUID references in fstab. Still no joy.
Help is greatly appreciated
thank you

john
john
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akshunj on Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:02 pm

elder wrote:
merlwiz79 wrote:Here it was on the paged he linked to.

Thanks, merlwiz79!

But down to bottom of the page I can see the following comment:

# Dexter Filmore Says:
September 22nd, 2007 at 6:03 pm

This so totally gets you into trouble the moment you want to compile something kernel related like vmnet or such. This approach is just plain bull. You need a fresher kernel look at the kernel build howto in the wiki.
Not easy but won’t fsck up your entire system."

So it this a safe procedure or not?

So, right off the bat, let me tell you that this is risky. Clem uses the 2.6.20 kernel in Cassandra and Celena because it's stable. He's being really conservative and that's a "good thing". Also, this is definitely an ugly hack. You're jamming a precompiled kernel that's being tested for a future version (Gutsy) onto Feisty. If you need to do any compiling of tricky kernel modules like for vmware or (surprise) nvidia, you'll be in a whole heap of trouble. I know this from experience. Life is fine on my laptop. But my desktop needed Gutsy dependencies for it's nvidia display driver. 61 packages to be exact. And when I rebooted, I realized that some of those upgrades had broken my system. Live and learn.

The "right way" to do a kernel upgrade is to compile it yourself. I'm not familiar with the Debian way, as I'm an old Slackware vet. But I think a previous post referenced it. That way, you avoid the dependencies that the gutsy kernel brings, but you've got your own sources and headers for compiling mission critical stuff like nvidia drivers.

As a sidenote, I remember every time I installed a new version of Slackware, the FIRST thing I would do is recompile my kernel. Man, linux has come a looooong way since then. You noobs don't know how good you have it!

--Akshun J
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements