Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
msuggs

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by msuggs »

Adler wrote:Hi All,

I am coming back using Linux Mint Debian.
Hey Adler, long time no see.

Welcome back! :D 8)
anamnesis

Post by anamnesis »

Congrats! You've done an excellent job! Thank you so much. Maybe you could consider to include the easy third party driver installation from the "ubuntu-mint". I had no problems to install the nvidia driver, but I reckon some new users will struggle a bit:
install nvidia-glx *and* nvidia-xconfig from synaptic.
After installation run $ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Cheers
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Been trying out Linux Mint Debian on LiveUSB and I'm pretty impressed. One question though: I can't seem to make the LiveUSB persistent. The option does not appear on Start Disk Creator, so I was wondering if there was a way to do this through Terminal.

PS: Before you ask, I added 4GB of extra space to the LiveUSB before setting it up.

EDIT: Went ahead and installed it because why not. I love it. Getting Compiz running the way I wanted it to was perhaps the most challenging part. Everything else ran very smoothly.

I'm personally very pleased that Mint is moving towards Debian, the Source as it were, as opposed to editing/building upon a distro derived from it. I also love the rolling distribution aspect of this. Thanks one and all for the part you played in making this a reality.
pretender

Post by pretender »

Hi all! I do not know if I posted right place, if not, I apologize.
I burned a dvd with LDME, I've booted,but I have not internet connection in liveCD. what should I do to have web connection? if I'll install on hdd the Linux Mint Debian,I will have still the web connection problemm?
thanks in advance!
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

pretender wrote:Hi all! I do not know if I posted right place, if not, I apologize.
I burned a dvd with LDME, I've booted,but I have not internet connection in liveCD. what should I do to have web connection? if I'll install on hdd the Linux Mint Debian,I will have still the web connection problemm?
thanks in advance!
Probably you will have the same issue.
How do you connect? Auto-DHCP connection? DSL (PPPoE) connection? 3G modem? Wireless? Dialup?

And you could open a new topic with your questions, with a good descriptive title so it will be easier to find answers.
pretender

Post by pretender »

secipolla wrote:
pretender wrote: Probably you will have the same issue.
How do you connect? Auto-DHCP connection? DSL (PPPoE) connection? 3G modem? Wireless? Dialup?
And you could open a new topic with your questions, with a good descriptive title so it will be easier to find answers.

ok,on my machine I've Mandriva 2010.1,I'm connected to web via DSL(pppoe).I can't configure DSL,it told me an Error,I don't remember what kind of error,but,in short, I can't connect to web,it's the first distro who I can't make the web connection,with LinuxMint 9 I've no problem! I think some packages is missing on DVD,they are not included by default.
sorry if I posted in a wrong place,but I don't like it to open a new topic.
lots of thanks.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

There was a problem with the ppp package that came in the live-dvd.
Boot into Mandriva and run

Code: Select all

wget -c http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/network-manager-pptp/network-manager-pptp-gnome_0.8.1-1_i386.deb
wget -c http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/network-manager-pptp/network-manager-pptp_0.8.1-1_i386.deb
wget -c http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/ppp/ppp_2.4.5-4_i386.deb
to download those packages.
Then boot into LMDE, copy those downloaded packages to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ppp
Then Network Manager should work again for you to set your DSL connection.

Source
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

Oh, my darling, Clem & Team! Thanks for another great release.

After partitioning in the installer, got the “please select a root (/) partition before proceeding” msg and realized, Oh, yeah, I need to set up a logical drive too! That brought me back a couple decades. Since the "New" option in Gparted was the only option untried up to that point, it wasn't that hard to figure out.

I had to work through some Grub2 issues as I have nVidia and now a triple boot (MInt 32-Gnome, Mint 64-KDE, LMDE). nolarut's suggestions (#280 from blog release post) helped re: don't check the last option to install the boot loader; boot into recovery mode and choose update grub. However, I had go into the recovery mode for the *second* OS installed; doing it for the first didn't work. (I guess I'm still unsure which options in /etc/default/grub apply to all installed OSes and which apply only to the OS where that file resides.) Then initial updates to LMDE changed grub anyway, adding a recovery mode for LMDE not present initially; I lost the memtest option on bootup, but that's not a concern.

HW support seems about the same for me (haven't had sound since Ubuntu 8.04--on an older machine.)

Clem: Thanks so much for the details in your "LMDE feedback & reviews" blog post re Debian Testing vs. Sqeeze, etc. It's nice to get a little clearer understanding of how all that works and where it fits into LMDE plans. You mentioned those wanting more stability can go from Testing to Squeeze (when it's moved to Stable) and stay there. How does one do that while still receiving any necessary security updates?

Thanks also for reiterating LMDE is R&D ("an experiment" in the release post) and for explaining the time frames for LM10 and LMDE work. It's good to know. Your open and honest communication is very refreshing; you and your team's listening to and embracing users' suggestions is quite encouraging. Many thanks!

I didn't get into setting up the latest driver from nVidia so I could play with compiz settings...

IMO: 64-bit is definitely the future/present.

Did someone (or two) mention a FreeBSD kernel? Kidding--you guys have enough releases to keep you busy. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if someone did put Mint on top of FreeBSD at some point.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Jesse, the settings at /etc/default/grub apply only for the system where it is. The other systems obey their own /etc/default/grub files.
For memtest, install memtest86+ and run update-grub as root.

Regarding the sound, remove pulseaudio and that may solve your issues or follow the instructions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio#ALSA%20Configuration (create an /etc/asound.conf).
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

secipolla wrote:Jesse, the settings at /etc/default/grub apply only for the system where it is. The other systems obey their own /etc/default/grub files.
secipolla, well, from my experience, options like GRUB_DEFAULT and GRUB_INIT_TUNE seem to be set by the last update, independent of OS. Options like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, which have resolution info, may be dependent on the individual system, although I am not totally convinced. I should try out some more experiments.

Thanks. I'll try out your other suggestions, too, when I get a chance.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

I had serious problems booting this distro to say the least. Maybe Im just not ready for Debian.
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

Jesse654 wrote:
secipolla wrote:Jesse, the settings at /etc/default/grub apply only for the system where it is. The other systems obey their own /etc/default/grub files.
secipolla, well, from my experience, options like GRUB_DEFAULT and GRUB_INIT_TUNE seem to be set by the last update, independent of OS. Options like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, which have resolution info, may be dependent on the individual system, although I am not totally convinced. I should try out some more experiments.
I tried changing various options in various /etc/default/grub files (then running "sudo update-grub") but changing only the last one installed, that for LMDE, had an effect. From what I remember with previous tinkering, when I had installed the second system (64-bit KDE) and tried to adjust the boot up splash screen resolutions, the first system's (32-bit Gnome) got fixed (ie, got nice LM logo on splash) while the second one lost the logo and just went to "Linux Mint" text. This seems to imply that some functionality can be changed across different /etc/default/grub files, but, as I am far from a grub or Linux expert, I don't know. memtest86+.bin is present in my boot directories for the first and second systems, but not for LMDE; I'm assuming that's why grub doesn't currently pick it up. As you suggested, secipolla, I'm sure I could install it and update grub, but my boot up works okay for me at this point.

When I get adventurous again, I'll try (yet again) to fix the ongoing sound issue.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

When you run update-grub, grub reads its configuration files, checks other installed systems and recreates /boot/grub/grub.cfg
That happens in all systems that have grub2 but you can only "see" the results for the system that has its grub installed to the MBR.
What confused you is that whenever grub (package grub-pc) is updated it installs itself to the MBR (I think this happens if it was originally installed to the MBR). So say you had grub2 from LM9 installed to the MBR, then you installed LMDE and overwrote the MBR again. When your grub-pc is updated in LM9 (not update-grub but an update to the package) it installs itself to the MBR again and then you get a new grub screen. If grub-pc is later on updated in LMDE it does the same and that may have confused you.
If the grub in the MBR is from LMDE and you run update-grub in LM9 you won't see any difference in the grub screen until you run update-grub in LMDE and it detects the changed grub.cfg in LM9.
starrfleat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by starrfleat »

I installed Linux Mint Debian on my Acer Aspire 9410 laptop, a 32 bit PC. Impressive O/S. My laptop now compares favorably with my DELL Optiplex 745 duo core desktop. Whips around the internet so well on the included Firefox, I don't feel a need to install the Google Chrome browser, or any other. In time, I might install the WINE version of Internet Explorer for those pesky sites which don't cooperate well with Firefox, or any other non-IE browser.
To help this O/S draw more people away from Windwoes, I'd echo the requests of others. It would be great to have the Broadcom FWCutter driver installed when you install everything else. It would be so much easier to not have to haul my laptop to the other end of the house with my desktop, just to plug in the FIOS wire so I could download and run the Debian version of the driver, which seems to need to be connected to complete installation. Needless to say, I have a wireless card in my laptop, altho I could run with a FIOS plug-in wire. My desktop is currently on that, however.
I, too, would prefer to have GDEBI installed. I downloaded and installed it myself, but having it already installed conveniently gives me the option of just hunting down software not listed in the Synaptic "directory". Just get the Debian version of something, and let GDEBI handle dependencies, etc.
Much thanks for Linux Mint Debian. Now I may be able to run my laptop until it crumbles, without having to settle for a highly stripped down O/S just to get speed and performance out of it. :mrgreen:
haylocki

Post by haylocki »

Hi,

Tried to install LMDE on a Tecra 8200 with 256MB ram

Gets all the way to "removing live packages" then locks up :(

Not one to be put off I took the hard drive out and put it in a Dell Inspiron 1000
Installed perfectly, so back to the Tecra went the hard drive. Restart and Woohoo LMDE on my Tecra.

Biggest problem sound isn't working, pulse audio only seems to detect the built in modem. Man I hate pulse audio.

Discovered that I was able to run gnome desktop on the laptop now. With the Ubuntu based distros 256MB of ram is just not enough. LMDE with Gnome desktop only uses the same amount of ram as Mint XFCE. So I installed XFCE, and wow! Less than 100MB running the desktop. For some reason the menu in XFCE had no icon, but that was easy to fix.

Is it faster ? Oh yes, I guess the people who don't see any speedup are using fast computers, where everything is pretty much instantaneous anyway.

So many updates, took over 2 hours on my slow internet. Bit of advice if your going to set up LMDE on several computers : install apt-cache-ng on the first machine and use that to cache all the downloads. Because of the cache, my downloading time on the other laptops went from 2 hours to 2 mins. Oh yes.

also Installed on a Dell Inspiron 1000. Flawless install, seems to all be working correctly
Installed on a Acer Travelmate 240. Had no dvd drive, so back to the Inspiron with the hard disc. Seems to all be working correctly.

Oh, one thing missing from the live dvd : no cryptsetup. This is a pain as I use LUKS on two of the laptops, but after installing cryptsetup my home partitions were once again available.

Still waiting for a 64 bit release for the desktop, in your own time Clem :mrgreen:

thanks for the great distro

Cheers, Ian
username

Post by username »

I'm very pleased to see that LM has designed a Deb based distribution! :) Previously, I was using LM7 KDE. At first, I opted not to install grub, thinking I could edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst in PCLOS Gnome with LMDE's menu.lst file, Then I found out that this wasn't possible because that file didn't exist. What I ended up doing was re-installing LMDE to include the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file. I then rebooted into my primary hard drive (122GB) containing PCLOS and ran redo-MBR. It asked and I accepted the option to include LMDE. A rolling release is the way to go, IMHO. That plus the fact Debian distro's is what I cut my Linux teeth on. The installation wasn't difficult for me, but I did have to do it 3 times due to my concern over grub recognition of an alternate OS on a different HD. Now that things are up and running, my next step is to update and upgrade things. I'm glad that the developers decided to shy sway from the Ubuntu repositories for this distribution. I can only see it becoming more & more popular and developed as time goes by. Thanks again, Kurt.
TheMonster0

Post by TheMonster0 »

Great release. I finished installing and tinkering with it. Worked like a charm. Had to do some tinkering to get my HP and Canon printers working, but that is always like that. Compared to setting up aptosid (sidux), this was easy. Good work.
rustleg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rustleg »

clem wrote:
Linux Mint Debian (201009) Today is very important for Linux Mint. It’s one day to remember in the history of our project as we’re about to maintain a new distribution, a rolling one, which promises to be faster, more responsive and on which we’re less reliant on upstream components. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with [...]
Bother! Another choice to confuse me.

I currently use Debian 64 bit and have recently test driven your standard Ubuntu based Mint (64 bit) and am impressed. However I tried Ubuntu some time ago and found it less than robust where I needed it, and I don't like their committed release schedule since it's bound to mean any new version is rolled out whether ready or not. Now you've launched a Debian based version it sounds extremely attractive. So I have the following choices:

1. Wait for the new Debian Squeeze to become the official stable release.
2. Jump into Linux Mint Debian 32 bit and then have to install 64 bit later.
3. Wait for Linux Mint Debian 64 bit.

If this turns out to be nice and stable and updates on a rolling basis I'm all for it.

Just my musings. Please continue the good work and I give my hearty thanks and congratulations for all your efforts.
Jolicoeur

Post by Jolicoeur »

Should a new person to Mint choose the Debian or the Mint 9 versions?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

regular Mint 9...either gnome or kde versions....This debian version is in the Research and Development beginnings and is for the advanced who love to do lots of tinkering....it's not smooth and polished like the ubuntu/kubuntu based regular Mint versions...Moving away from an ubuntu base means they have to figure out all kinds of things to plug into it that normally are done in ubuntu to begin with...bug fixes, tweaks...all kinds of stuff...and mint has a small staff and have to work on the main versions at the same time, so expect a LONG LONG time for this to get to where they want it to go...

maybe a year from now, it might be newbie friendly...but right now? uh uh... :wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”