Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
secipolla

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by secipolla »

From the announcement we know that Jockey isn't compatible yet with LMDE, so you could either install nvidia-glx from the repos (I never tried but is supposed to work for that card) or use sgfxi.
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

secipolla wrote:From the announcement we know that Jockey isn't compatible yet with LMDE, so you could either install nvidia-glx from the repos (I never tried but is supposed to work for that card) or use sgfxi.
:)
Thanks, sérgio. I got it by the script sgxi. I installed the smxi/sgxi like this by using this code as root:
"cd /usr/local/bin;wget -Nc techpatterns.com/smxi.zip;unzip smxi.zip;smxi "
you might read the full instruction details at http://smxi.org/site/install.htm

cheers.
:idea:
ozos

Post by ozos »

I installed LMDE today, I'm updating right now. I didn't have any issue in the installation, It was pretty easy. All is working really nice. I'm new in the Mint community and I'm glad to be here.

Thank you.
Ozos
Pikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pikey »

Well this is good news I must say!! I'm just returning to Mint after a couple of years or so away .. Mint 7 was the last version I had loaded I think!

Anyhow I'm running Mint Debian in VirtualBox at the minute .. so far so good!

It's about time you got away from that Ubuntu nonsense ..
vicshrike
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vicshrike »

The Debian move made me want to try Mint again, and what positive pleasure it is! Looking forward to a long term relationship, thanks to all who made it possible!
_stefan__

Post by _stefan__ »

Thanks clem and ikey for this wonderful release, good thing you shifted your "ubuntu" dependency to Debian!!
Cheers to MintDev team :)
joshN

Post by joshN »

Very excited to try Linux Mint Debian for the first time. I'll let you know if you pull me away from Lenny i386 for good.
skwrl

Post by skwrl »

Very new to Mint and these forums, so hope this is somewhat useful to someone...

I too had a very slow first update, and expect a faster repository will be the fix? Within Synaptic=>Settings=>Repositories, it has the same "find fastest" that Ubuntu has.

I've read somewhere that in LMDE that the "System Sources" isn't working, but I'm not sure if that's any change to repositories, or simply the gui tool?

- skwrl
joshN

Post by joshN »

Been using for 24hrs and you've won me over. I'd been on Debian (Lenny and Sid) for about 6 months, I needed to upgrade my 32bit laptop from stable to testing for a feature and luckily I heard about the LMD just in time. I get all the functionality of Debian for the programmer in me and all the GUI of Mint for the human in me :D Keep up the good work. I promise to find ways to be helpful and am blown away by how great this distro is. Definitely won't be able to shut up about it at work.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Greeting,
Thank you for LMDE.
I am a LinuxMint9 user. In fact, LinuxMint is my first success on my adventure to Linux OS installation.
So i have been using LinuxMint9 for a while and to be honest, i only had networking issue and after reading some forums, i followed some suggestion and it just worked for long time and become my main use.

So after i installed LMDE on two computers, and use it for a few days. Here is my observations, i believe this had been mentioned somewhere as well. I just want to put my experience here, perhaps for other users as well as for feedback to developer.

With LMDE, the one thing i must say is : it installed really fast. ON LM9 i normally have to wait for very long time for downloading language. A slow computer might even take more than 1.5 hour which is too long. LMDE installation too much shorter even using the same old computer.
All my movie files just played.

network file browsing is good too, however , there is a problem on network file sharing, when i want to share files, previously i just mouse over to the directory/folder/file, right click, click some more , somewhat intuitively, that is all . This time, on LMDE, when i right click, the file manager nautilus just shutdown and disappear. This is very repeatable on both computers.

sound, while movie and song files all could be played as well as previously, i noticed several times, the sound simply disappeared. upon reset, it return to be normal.
after playing some more, i noticed, the movie player can stop after i surf internet for sometime. Once it stopp, it cannot be started.. until i power reset because i do not know how to troubelshoot this problem.
today, this problem occured at least three times, each time i could just power reset and return to normal.
but to be honest, for last several month using LM9 i have really zero incidence of sound problem or player stop problems.
I do not know what is wrong, but this is annoying considering to my simple computer usage of internet surfing, listening to music, watch youtube, watch movie.

another feedback, the size is more than 800M, so i thought most of the stuff on LM9 Gnome would be in the LMDE Gnome, however, when i surf and use Chinese i am surprised to see square with number.. and realised that ttf for chinese must have been missing, of course i did a sudo apt-get install (a ttf file) and few minutes later, installation complete, restart browser and i am ok on viewing them properly. i thought it is better to include in the release, afterall, it is just some small files when compared with 800M.

i certainly hope these problems can be quickily resolved. I was reading some forum about nautilus hack and would be trying soon.

thanks for reading and hope to have solutions.
PietroTux88

Post by PietroTux88 »

When will the 64-bit Debian Linux Mint (201 009)? Do I know when it is released the 64-bit support since there is a 32-bit
5dolla

Post by 5dolla »

sadly no one knows when the 64 bit version will be made . just how we dont know why or how the magnetic poles of the
earth shift.just as Sometimes things happen in 32 bit land that my not make sense. and some times in 64 bit land
some things don't happen that also dose not make sense. anyway the gods have determined that for some reason a 32 bit
linux mint was a good idea. just hope that those of us with the modern computers will get to experience a unhindered
linux mint debian edition be fore the magnetic poles shift again. It seems that they shift every 150000 years or so; just
like debian's stable release cycle. Since the last shift was about about 149000 years ago im staying optimistic that
a 64 bit release will happen before the 150000 year deadline :D
knireis

Post by knireis »

Thanks for providing this release
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Many thanks from the Greek Linux Mint Community.http://linuxmintgr.yaglb.com/index.phpGreat work, everyone.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Maybe someone smarter than me can figure this one out.

1) Downloaded the torrent and tried to install from the disc.
It stalled.

2) Remade a Live disc and tried again, with the same result.

3 Redownloaded the torrent from a different source and it failed to complete the install, too.

I unhook my hard drives and install to USB memory sticks.
This one is a new 8Gb stick, so size is not a problem.

Does anyone know what is going on, besides me just wasting discs?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

ikey wrote:Just want to say a quick thank you for all those trying LMDE and contributing
towards our project.
And thank you Ikey for your efforts. :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Orographic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Orographic »

Hi Guys,

Just intsalled Linux Mint Debian today and its really nice, well done on the fine effort so far. Sadly, Flash fullscreen is a bit more fragmented in YouTube than Standard Mint. I have also had the 'no signal' message on my monitor on boot but this is intermittent. After about thirty seconds the system shuts down and when i start it up again, all is well. This problem also occurs on Lucid and Fedora 13 but not Windows 7 on this same machine with identical hardrives.

Its a really nice setup but I need this 'no signal' message dealt with in some way. I haven't actually had this message in Mint Standard yet and it never happens in Windows 7.
hariseldon

Post by hariseldon »

Very very impressive release. I like what I see, having never entirely understood the Mint project as an Ubuntu derivative. It generally seemed to me that the problems of Ubuntu would carry through with a new theme and a nicer updater, which seemed irrelevant to me as I use the CLI for updating/installing packages. I moved to Arch eventually, but once I eventually bork my Arch (as will inevitably happen, I always play with it more than I should) I'll probably be moving to LMDE, as it's really rather scrumptious. Debian reliability with Ubuntu/Mint usability? Yes please.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

clem wrote:
Linux Mint Debian (201009) Today is very important for Linux Mint. It’s one day to remember in the history of our project as we’re about to maintain a new distribution, a rolling one, which promises to be faster, more responsive and on which we’re less reliant on upstream components. Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) comes with [...]
Announcement: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1527
Flippin' awesome man. Just nudged a little something your way. Someone should anoint you as the Mint God!
Thanks mate/.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

I am coming back using Linux Mint Debian.
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/

Return to “Releases & Announcements”