Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
jcpeart
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by jcpeart »

I used to be a Mint user back in the days of Celena after trying Ubuntu and finding it too difficult for a complete newbie. Then I moved back to Ubuntu and never felt that Mint had that much more to offer to entice me back. Now with the Debian edition I am back and truly loving it so far. I think this edition should move up on your priority scale. As far as I am concerned, you could move away from Ubuntu altogether.

Congratulations and good work.
efgee

Post by efgee »

@ dev team

Just wanted to let you know that I love LMDE and it's the rolling release.

Had the latest Linux Mint Ubuntu main-version running but working on it was no fun - the gui was really slow.
Replaced Linux Mint with Linux Mint Debian Edition and IT IS snappier - working is fun again!

Please keep working on it in the future.

Thanks
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Can someone please help me install the broadcom sta driver? I simply do not understand how to do it. I have read the read me file but just don't understand. I have never had to do this before but I have always ran ubuntu when it was all done via synaptic. Thanks in advance.
efgee

Post by efgee »

z06gal wrote:Can someone please help me install the broadcom sta driver? I simply do not understand how to do it. I have read the read me file but just don't understand. I have never had to do this before but I have always ran ubuntu when it was all done via synaptic. Thanks in advance.
On this page:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p313931
is a script that works.

Just make sure you need the STA driver and not the b43.

More information here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 68#p326068

bye
namaserajesh

Linux Mint Debian (201009) released!

Post by namaserajesh »

Thanks. I wil downld it.Distrowatch gave 3rd rank to Linux Mint.Great.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I am multi-booting nine Linux distros.
I tried using LMDE for my permanent bootloader , but one of the recent online updates destroyed some of my Grub menuentries.
Now I am back using Ubuntu Maverick as my permanent bootloader, LMDE is working fine on its own merits.
Aniquibobo

Post by Aniquibobo »

StanTheMan wrote:I am multi-booting nine Linux distros.
I tried using LMDE for my permanent bootloader , but one of the recent online updates destroyed some of my Grub menuentries.
Now I am back using Ubuntu Maverick as my permanent bootloader, LMDE is working fine on its own merits.
Thanks for info.

/Ani
Bonsaii

Post by Bonsaii »

Wow!

Thank you so much, this is eye-opening!
After 6 years with first Kubuntu then Ubuntu
and installing Puppylinux and Damnsmalllinux
on older laptops, I came to LMDE.

(Literally, I'm forgetting the 15 years DOS + MS. )

LMDE it is the fastest and easiest OS,
I have ever used.

It works out of the box on a Compaq nx7300,
no fiddling, none, nada.

The internet (same browser w/ addons and
same connection as before on Ubuntu 9.04)
is at least 5x faster.

It feels like a completely different universe,
way better of course.

In conclusion:

Thank you soooooooooooooo much!

Bonsaii
Zyxon

Post by Zyxon »

I was waiting for this so hard and for such a long time. At least a Debian based rolling release distro! Thanks a lot!
(I used sidux before, but I'm a GNOME guy, so that didn't really work for me.)
sipiatti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sipiatti »

Is there any news about when we could get a 64 bit version of this great LMDE?
SIPIATTI
---
Chatter1: Heya! You knew there is a whole life behind internet?!
Chatter2: confused! ...
Chatter2: Link..?
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I've added LMDE to my torrent server for 24/7 seeding. Been seeding LM 8 & 9 iso files for a while.
  • linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-i386.iso uploaded 37.5 GB (Ratio 50.32)
    linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso uploaded 24.9 GB (Ratio 33.66)
    linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso uploaded 37.7 GB (Ratio 57.23)
    linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso uploaded 24.3 GB (Ratio 36.92)

LinuxMint-8.iso uploaded 6.89 GB (Ratio 10.25)
    LinuxMint-8-xfce.iso uploaded 1.66 GB (Ratio 2.44)
    LinuxMint-8-LXDE.iso uploaded 1.77 GB (Ratio 2.71)
    LinuxMint-8-KDE.iso uploaded 3.11 GB (Ratio 2.87)
    LinuxMint-8-Fluxbox.iso uploaded 2.70 GB (Ratio 4.22)
Not bad for a crappy little Pentium-III that was collecting dust in the closet until I resurrected it for NAS and torrent server duty. :)
s1ck0

Post by s1ck0 »

Jesse654 wrote:Aha! That is quite useful information. So...if I wanted to tinker with grub options for, say, my second installed system, I'd have to go into the 2nd system, change the grub file, update-grub there, then reboot to the 3rd (LMDE), update-grub again, then reboot to the 2nd to analyze any changes. What a PITN! OTOH I'm learning a lot about grub.

And if one of my systems updates grub again...I better keep a look out for which one.

isn't it better not to install grub in LMDE if you already have an existing working grub2?

that's what i did, i already have an existing grub2 courtesy of LM9 and when LMDE asked me where to install grub, i opted not to install it...

never had any problems since then...
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

It really doesn't matter which OS you use to manage Grub
I'd be inclined to use Grub from the OS I use Mainly.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I use the bootloader with Ubuntu Mavverick beause the bootlist display defaults to White on Black. But you can change the colors by editing /etc/defult/grub

If you ever want to change your bootloader to one of the other grub2 distros you have installed , boot into that desired distro , log in and run this command

sudo grub-install --root-directory="/" /dev/sda

This will re-write the MBR pointing it to the root ( / ) partition that you are logged into , writing the MBR to the device sda .
PietroTux88

Post by PietroTux88 »

LMDE 64 BIT?when is be released please AMD64 bit i want use Linux Mint Debian Edition 64 bit please Clem
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

s1ck0 wrote: isn't it better not to install grub in LMDE if you already have an existing working grub2?
IMHO, yes. I agree with caf4926: use it from your main OS. It appears this is the most convenient option.

When I first installed LMDE, I unchecked the grub option. However, during the first round of updates (>100, IIRC), grub got updated, and I let it...
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Isn't it possible to have apt ignore grub? I haven't tried it myself but it's easy with arch/pacman so I would be surprised if the the functionality wasn't available in apt as well.
For my setup I have grub2 from LMDE installed to my mbr and install the other bootloaders to their root partitions and chain load. It's the simplest, I've never had a problem after updates, it doesn't significantly increase boot time and makes it a lot easier to mix grub, grub2 and even lilo when I need it.

-edit: There is one caveat I should mention. With this setup, what can happen after legacy grub has an update(rare) is that /boot/grub/menu.lst could feasibly be overwritten with the old partition numbering scheme. You would want to change it back of course lol.
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

azathoth wrote:Isn't it possible to have apt ignore grub? I haven't tried it myself but it's easy with arch/pacman so I would be surprised if the the functionality wasn't available in apt as well.
For my setup I have grub2 from LMDE installed to my mbr and install the other bootloaders to their root partitions and chain load. It's the simplest, I've never had a problem after updates, it doesn't significantly increase boot time and makes it a lot easier to mix grub, grub2 and even lilo when I need it.

-edit: There is one caveat I should mention. With this setup, what can happen after legacy grub has an update(rare) is that /boot/grub/menu.lst could feasibly be overwritten with the old partition numbering scheme. You would want to change it back of course lol.
To answer my own question, yes. It's easy, see http://linux.die.net/man/5/apt.conf
k3lt01

Post by k3lt01 »

Hi

I downloaded LMDE the other day and haven't had much time to play with it so far. The LiveCD works really well on my desktop but not very well on my laptop (that is not a support request). I have been using Ubuntu for over 3 years and have been pretty active on the Ubuntu Forums (same username as here) and have even tested a few releases. I heard about LMDE from another Ubuntu user the other day and decided to take a look as I am interested in rolling release OSs.

Michael.
dpcdpc11

Post by dpcdpc11 »

release an updated Live CD version please! one in which PPPOE DSL connection works and add all the other fixes made in the last month! pleasseee!
thanks you!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”