Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by Carl »

grey1960envoy wrote:Is there a release date for the stable edition yet?
Nope and I wouldn't of thought there will be :wink:

you can check to see when it's submitted for testing though:

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Any idea when the Mint 10 KDE RC will be available?
chadabryant

Post by chadabryant »

I installed the 32-bit RC last night on an OptiPlex GX520 w/ 1GB RAM. I normally wait for a full release, and was actually considering sticking with LM9 for a while due to it being built on an Ubuntu LTS release, but my curiosity got the better of me. That said, the install was absolutely flawless and without any problems whatsoever. My only modification to the standard DVD install was removing Thunderbird, XChat & F-Spot and installing Pan, Google Chrome, Google Gadgets & Picasa.

Long story short, Linux Mint will continue to be my OS of choice for the foreseeable future, and my hat is off to everyone who has contributed towards making it the best OS available.
Ray McCrum

Post by Ray McCrum »

Just a note to the Developers. I have been using Linux Mint since version 6. I got bored the other dat, the 19th of Oct., and logged on to find the Linux mint 10, so I downloaded it.

Since the 19th I have been running this EVERY DAY and I did not realize it was not the Final Edition until today.

I have had a very few minor glitches that were all solved by a re-boot. You guys have outdone yourselves this time.

I am running this on a Gigabyte Motherboard, a model GA-MA785GMT-US2H, with an AMD 3.0 X2 250 Processor and 4 gig of Kingston Ram.

Just want to tell You I very much appreciate the work Your Team does with Linux Mint.

Thank You all very Much ! ! !

Ray McCrum
ogmhc10n2@att.net < < < New Email address since registering.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I have loaded Mint 10 RC on an old Laptop I have and its performing wonderfully so far. I do like the new theme, its different. I also have noticed a increase in speed of my system. Great Job!!!! Hats off to the whole mint team for a great new OS that will reside on my Laptop.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Just upgraded my main boot OS from Mint-7 to Mint-10 RC. I wanted to go with 9 because it's LTS, but due to issues with Ubuntu 10.04 Mint-9 won't work for me. I was also thinking about moving to the Debian Edition, but that appears to be broken on my hardware as well. Mint-10, however, works great.

I know some have complained about the new theme, but I like it.

Only odd thing is, even after upgrading to the DVD edition I still had to install Gparted. Any reason that's not included?

Oh, and I've got that issue with the calendar appearing half way up the screen (when you click on the clock in the panel). Other than that all seems well.

Thanks again to Clem and all who help him. :)
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

I also liked that I could download the CD .iso then upgrade to the DVD edition from the start screen. Is that going to become the standard way of doing it. It would simplify the number of image files that need to be maintained and distributed.

Download a CD image for the free/non-restricted version (the version that does not contain any restricted software), then from the Welcome screen you could have 2 options (instead of the current option of only the full DVD version):

1. Install codecs and restricted drivers (for people who want to start lean and install their own apps).

2. Upgrade to the full DVD edition (to get everything Clem wanted to include).

Just a thought (that you have probably already though of, lol!).

Aloha, Tim
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I am finding few faults with Julia after loading it up last week getting rid of firefox ,every time I do it loads a different browser that I do not use what is up with this? I also did find the calendar up high but to me this feature doesn't matter.
Timmi

LinuxMint10RC: Firefox4? WiFi-nokeyring? Codecs/plugins

Post by Timmi »

Hi Clement,

1) It would be nice if we could get firefox4 as the standard browser, not that old thing that pretends to be one.
The popularity of Chrome tells it all... it's mostly firefox users that have defected to the dark side. ;-) (and I'm one of them). It CAN be upgraded, right, if it is beta firefox now, and we can just have an upgrade procedure for the final version in the repo? I have discovered that fetching ff4 from their website and installing it is rather troublesome for a beginner.

2) Also, it would be nice if the stored password for a WPA password did not require the user to enter a keyring password on bootup. A user may have lots of stuff launch on bootup... like Pidgin, Skype, etc... and it would be nice if a WPA connection would just connect immediately, without user input.
Another problem with this, is that if I tell it to "use unsafe storage", it won't ask to create a keyring for other passwords.
So we have to save everything unencrypted, just so WiFi can connect without user intervention.

3) also, in Mint9, it has been HELL to try and get some sites' streaming media to work with Mint9 (and firefox). It seems we had a regression in that version, in terms of driver/codec/plugin readyness over vanilla ubuntu. This was a disappointment. Hopefully, this has been addressed in Mint 10, and that it will be, once again, the leader of the pack in this area. BTW, it was saddening that the LTS release is not suitable to keep on my system for this reason! I have tried to fetch the proper plugins using firefox's procedures: alas, no dice.

Thanks very much for your hard work. We are very appreciative!
Timmi
Last edited by Timmi on Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC: Firefox4? WiFi-nokeyring? Co

Post by kmb42vt »

Timmi wrote:Hi Clement,

1) It would be nice if we could get firefox4 as the standard browser, not that old thing that pretends to be one.
The popularity of Chrome tells it all... it's mostly firefox users that have defected to the dark side. ;-) (and I'm one of them).
It CAN be upgraded, right, if it is beta firefox now, and we can just have an upgrade procedure for the final version in the repo?
I have discovered that fetching ff4 from their website and installing it is rather troublesome for a beginner.
About this one, Ubuntu/Canonical has already made the announcement that Firefox (not Thunderbird, unfortunately) will now be updated to milestone versions as well as the stabilization and security point releases so when Firefox 4.0 finally hits the street (sometime in the first quarter of next year now says Mozilla) Firefox should be updated in Mint to the latest release as well shortly there after.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
alexusbas

Post by alexusbas »

I really love the new look of mint 10...its my main OS now. thanks

can't wait for the final release :D
Timmi

Re: LinuxMint10RC: Firefox4? WiFi-nokeyring? Codecs/plugins

Post by Timmi »

The popularity of Chrome tells it all... it's mostly firefox users that have defected to the dark side. ;-) (and I'm one of them). It CAN be upgraded, right, if it is beta firefox now, and we can just have an upgrade procedure for the final version in the repo? I have discovered that fetching ff4 from their website and installing it is rather hard and confusing for a beginner.

2) Also, it would be nice if the stored password for a WPA password did not require the user to enter a keyring password but still be able to include other apps in the keyring. (or just a way for it to not prompt for it on bootup for wifi connection). A user may have lots of stuff launch on bootup... like Pidgin, Skype, etc... and it would be nice if a WPA connection would just connect immediately, without user input.
Another problem with this, is that if I tell it to "use unsafe storage", it won't ask to create a keyring for other passwords.
So we have to save everything unencrypted, just so WiFi can connect without user intervention.

3) also, in Mint9, it has been HELL to try and get some sites' streaming media to work with Mint9 (and firefox). It seems we had a regression in that version, in terms of driver/codec/plugin readyness over vanilla ubuntu. This was a disappointment. Hopefully, this has been addressed in Mint 10, and that it will be, once again, the leader of the pack in this area. BTW, it was saddening that the LTS release is not suitable to keep on my system for this reason! I have tried to fetch the proper plugins using firefox's procedures: alas, no dice.

Thanks very much for your hard work. We are very appreciative!
Timmi
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LinuxMint10RC: Firefox4? WiFi-nokeyring? Codecs/plugins

Post by marcus0263 »

The popularity of Chrome tells it all... it's mostly firefox users that have defected to the dark side. ;-) (and I'm one of them). It CAN be upgraded, right, if it is beta firefox now, and we can just have an upgrade procedure for the final version in the repo? I have discovered that fetching ff4 from their website and installing it is rather troublesome for a beginner.
Beta browser standard as default? Come on ..... :shock:
Timmi wrote:2) Also, it would be nice if the stored password for a WPA password did not require the user to enter a keyring password on bootup. A user may have lots of stuff launch on bootup... like Pidgin, Skype, etc... and it would be nice if a WPA connection would just connect immediately, without user input.

And you're requesting at in the same post to standardize on a Beta browser ....... :roll:
Timmi wrote:Thanks very much for your hard work. We are very appreciative!
Timmi
Yes, Clem has and his team does an outstanding job of cleaning up and polishing Ubuntu.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

mint10 makes a very nice drive partitioning live CD/USB

I couldn't get Gparted live, PartedMagic, UBCD etc to work. none of them would start on one of my old computers, even trying every safe mode etc option they had.

Mint10 worked first time and boots faster than them anyway!

so thanks even if i don't use it as my system :)
buzz

Post by buzz »

In regards to the calendar position. This is an upstream bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/631664

there is a workaround in that thread for those using compiz. if not using compiz then it isn't a problem.

I too can confirm the issue about a change to the application font size with the mint-x-* themes being ignored. This is quite annoying if running linux mint on lower resolution screens, where you want to make the best use of screen space (and stop windows overflowing off the screen). Switching to other themes solves this. If it is intentional I would ask for it to be reconsidered.

in sound settings, i get no sound when using the test speakers. is a sound missing from the linux mind sound theme ? sound is working fine, just the speaker test makes no noise.

Apart from that looking good ;-)
darudey

Post by darudey »

Can I install Mint 10 RC as my main OS with the option to update to the stable release in the future?
Or should I really wait for the stable release to be ready?
towerofpower

Post by towerofpower »

Due to sheer bravery i installed RC10, holy smokes. I am impressed. Its beautiful and fast. I am happy that I took the leap.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

darudey wrote:Can I install Mint 10 RC as my main OS with the option to update to the stable release in the future?

I have it installed and it does really well.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

willie42 wrote:
darudey wrote:Can I install Mint 10 RC as my main OS with the option to update to the stable release in the future?

I have it installed and it does really well.
Just keep applying the updates (via Update Manager when they appear) and you'll end up with the final version of Mint 10. You might want to read this Linux Mint post thoroughly:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1559

When you get to the part that answers your question (you'll know it when you see it), know that the Update Manager allows level 1, 2 and 3 updates through so you're all set anyway. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
doubled
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doubled »

doubled wrote:
rashkae wrote:At a minimum, making the bottom border a few pixels wide (as it was previously) at least makes it easy to grab a bottom corner of a window resize....
I also "vote" for this as an issue that makes it very difficult to resize a window.
It seems this issue was fixed with an update to the Mint-X theme. Many thanks.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”