Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Andrew33

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by Andrew33 »

Hey kmb,

The answer to your question is yes...I'm running a Dell Latitude D810 and everything you saw that's in it....unfortunately, I don't have any other type of mouse, I did at one time, but either got lost or misplaced. So I will most likely have to buy another one to really test your other suggestion on that....my mouse is able to resize on LM9 Gnome with no problems, and it's the same type of borders as 10 RC.....so you (I hope) can understand my frustration. Everything works fine with the LM9 Gnome edition and that includes using the scrolling issue with touchpad ....so this is why I'm questioning this with 10 RC. I also have no problems with this in LM9 KDE Isadora, everything works great. I also know that (in my years of building PC's) every kind of computer will react differently with different OS's, and each has their own drivers for everything to function correctly....and such is the case with Linux.

I don't know what else to say....except that I'm at an empass with this. Unless there's a fix somewhere that I don't know about????? Thanks

Andrew
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

andrew5859 wrote:Hey kmb,

The answer to your question is yes...I'm running a Dell Latitude D810 and everything you saw that's in it....unfortunately, I don't have any other type of mouse, I did at one time, but either got lost or misplaced. So I will most likely have to buy another one to really test your other suggestion on that....my mouse is able to resize on LM9 Gnome with no problems, and it's the same type of borders as 10 RC.....so you (I hope) can understand my frustration. Everything works fine with the LM9 Gnome edition and that includes using the scrolling issue with touchpad ....so this is why I'm questioning this with 10 RC. I also have no problems with this in LM9 KDE Isadora, everything works great. I also know that (in my years of building PC's) every kind of computer will react differently with different OS's, and each has their own drivers for everything to function correctly....and such is the case with Linux.

I don't know what else to say....except that I'm at an empass with this. Unless there's a fix somewhere that I don't know about????? Thanks

Andrew
If everything worked properly with LM9 one possibility would be that it might be a kernel issue (stress the word: might). Driver problems between one version of a Linux Distro to the next are can often be related to the updated kernel that comes with the new release. Using a regular desktop mouse would definitely help in troubleshooting the problem then. Since you're located in the US, a standard wired MS optical mouse usually runs below $20 from Tiger Direct. I've done some quick Googling about the possibility that it might be a kernel issue but no real results so far. I'll post back here if I find anything.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

marcus0263 wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:
Beerislife wrote:Installed it on my ThinkPad Edge but on suspend/Wake get this error:

GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Seems to be a known bug but doesn't cause me any problems.

Maybe my imagination but battery life seemed to be better with Windows 7?
Yep, known upstream bug

Battery life, yep. I get over 5 hours on my Netbook with Mint, just under 4 with Winbloats 7 Pro (and no wasn't running running Aero)
It may be my imagination but I feel it's the other way around for me :mrgreen: Windows 7 running Aero battery seems to last longer than mint 10RC running Compiz. It also seems to charge faster or the Gnome battery indicator is borked. One minute it tells me there's half an hour to go for full battery, put it into suspend come back later and the figure has gone up to an hour and a half! It's very erratic. In Windows it would indicate it was fully charged.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Beerislife wrote:
marcus0263 wrote: Yep, known upstream bug

Battery life, yep. I get over 5 hours on my Netbook with Mint, just under 4 with Winbloats 7 Pro (and no wasn't running running Aero)
It may be my imagination but I feel it's the other way around for me :mrgreen: Windows 7 running Aero battery seems to last longer than mint 10RC running Compiz. It also seems to charge faster or the Gnome battery indicator is borked. One minute it tells me there's half an hour to go for full battery, put it into suspend come back later and the figure has gone up to an hour and a half! It's very erratic. In Windows it would indicate it was fully charged.
I'd say the Gnome battery indicator is a bit flaky sometimes. Generally it's been my luck that it's fairly accurate, but sometimes I look and say confused?

Anyway I don't don't run Compiz on my Netbook, not worth the degradation in performance or battery life.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

I have it installed now, and I'm pretty happy with it. One thing though: why do I have a keyboard icon in my notification area? When I click this icon, I can see what layout I'm using and switch to another one, but I can already switch layouts with Left Alt. So it's pretty useless having this icon here. Right-clicking it does nothing, though. How do I get rid of this thing?

EDIT: Found it. You just do

Code: Select all

gconf-editor
and then apps>gnome-settings-daemon>plugins>keyboard and uncheck "active". This will make the icon go away on reboot.
Last edited by red-e-made on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ysNoi

Post by ysNoi »

Hi...

I've been using Linux Mint since Isadora release and I know it's really great.

So LM10 will also be great or more...And I'm gonna love it....

Congratulations to this release...Keep it up.. :D
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

I got Mint 10 Julia working like a charm, Can't wait till it is stable I did not heed the warning to not run this as my sole OS but I haven't had any problems yet.This replaced Mint 9 on my laptop which I loved but as I said 10 seems to be quicker .before anyone says anything let me assure that nothing else was changed on my Dell Inspiron 1525 since I was running 9.All I can really say is to Clem and his team GREAT JOB KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

grey1960envoy wrote:I got Mint 10 Julia working like a charm, Can't wait till it is stable I did not heed the warning to not run this as my sole OS but I haven't had any problems yet.This replaced Mint 9 on my laptop which I loved but as I said 10 seems to be quicker .before anyone says anything let me assure that nothing else was changed on my Dell Inspiron 1525 since I was running 9.All I can really say is to Clem and his team GREAT JOB KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!
Well it does run wonderful. Just keep a backup just incase a bug does jump out. Clem and his Team has and is doing a awesome job. I have 10 as sole on my Laptop. In my opinion it is stable at this point just a few little bugs that others are noticing that some have not or just not saying anything. I am building a new syetem here in a few days and 10 will be the sole os on it at this point. :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Anutesyn

Post by Anutesyn »

I'm new to this OS and this forum so I'm rather unsure of where to post. I'm using the 10 RC and I've found some bugs (I think).

First is the calendar that each time I press the clock it activates and opens outside my screen. I cant move it back down.

The second is: Somtimes when I login the task bar (eh the thing with the buttons for each window open) moves and gets stuck between the Menu and the panel icons. (practically invisible).
abequar

Post by abequar »

Hi All,

I'm newbie. I'm enjoying Mint 10 RC in Samsung Q330. But I'm expenciering problem on connection internet with Nokia N8.
I received all disconnection. Maybe is Bluetooth 3.0 ???

Please someone could help me???

cheers,
Marcello
deleted

Post by deleted »

Just applied some updates... the release must be close.
-Hinto
alligoodw

Post by alligoodw »

hinto wrote:Just applied some updates... the release must be close.
-Hinto
Did your updates include a new kernel?
deleted

Post by deleted »

I can't remember.
-H
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

Good work team!

Not too keen on the theme - there's a real lack of contrast, it's too gray IMO.
buzz

Post by buzz »

Anutesyn wrote:I'm new to this OS and this forum so I'm rather unsure of where to post. I'm using the 10 RC and I've found some bugs (I think).
calendar positioning is a compiz bug. you can turn off compositing or force the window position with the compiz settings manager. I linked to the bugs this earlier in this thread.
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

This one is very good indeed. Couldn't wait for the bespoke Xfce version so decided to run the generic Xfce desktop on top of Gnome (which I detest). Surprised by the ease and functionality of this combination which bodes well for Merlwiz' eventual masterpiece.
manojkhot

Post by manojkhot »

Hi.
I am using Linux Mint 9 gnome edition from last 8-9 months. I have done all setting on my laptop, I don't want to change this setting but when I heard about Mint 10 suddenly I installed this version on vmplayer. I like this version so much but don't know how to upgrade my laptop in 10.
any body know about this.
Please Help me.............................
Thank you so much.
manojkhot

Post by manojkhot »

[quote="Anutesyn"]I'm new to this OS and this forum so I'm rather unsure of where to post. I'm using the 10 RC and I've found some bugs (I think).

First is the calendar that each time I press the clock it activates and opens outside my screen. I cant move it back down.

The second is: Somtimes when I login the task bar (eh the thing with the buttons for each window open) moves and gets stuck between the Menu and the panel icons. (practically invisible).
Image[/quote

Hi,
In Linux any version when u click on calender or clock you will see the calender window. But when you click again on clock it will hide automatically.

for windows button problem please go in compiz settings and click on " select window manager" and click on compiz option buttons will come and you will see your task bar.
Thanks
deleted

Post by deleted »

FWIW,
Java 5 swing apps + gnome compositing + nividia driver (both from the repo and from NVIDIA's site) causes gnome compositing to stop. This didn't occur in Mint 9.

[Edit] It's (compositing) not a problem running with java 6 from the repo. Yee-haa.
-Hinto
mistywindow

Linux Mint 10 RC - Wow!

Post by mistywindow »

I've been dipping my toe into Linux for years. I managed to work with Ubuntu 8.04 for 6 months before giving up and going back to Windows 7. There always seemed to be a deal-breaker.

A month ago Windows 7 infuriated me almost as much as Vista had so I went back for another go at Ubuntu. It was OK but my notebook and netbook Broadcom wireless and Bluetooth were infuriatingly flaky. In desperation I installed Mint 10 RC 32-bit on my netbook (HP 210 Mini) and Mint 10 RC 64-bit on my notebook (Dell Studio XPS 16).

Instant Heaven!

It just works!

And it's beautiful. Elegance is a rare commodity in open source but Mint has it in abundance.

I now have Internet tethering from my iPhone to both machines via Bluetooth - which Windows 7 couldn't accomplish. Outstanding achievement Mint team.

One of my dealbreakers previously was notetaking applications. I use Evernote and there's nothing to match it. Someone on my blog referred me to the Evernote interface Nevernote for Linux. It's excellent. Another box ticked.

This is life-changing. I now have zero reasons for going back to Windows - ever. I've just sold my Adobe CS4 Design Premium Suite and MS Office 2010 in $1 auctions. Got good prices too. :) I got so carried away that I made a small donation. And I'll be making more.

No regrets.

Thank you.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”