Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Smiff2

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Post by Smiff2 »

BopNiblets wrote:When you click on the taskbar clock for the calendar, it appears halfway up the screen instead of down above the clock, anyone else have that?
yes, i meant to report that!

is this the place for actual bug reports, or is there somewhere better? is Clem reading this?
watcheroftheskies

Post by watcheroftheskies »

Hi Clem and all,

Just one downer: wireless (broadcom 4312) did not install the usual way. I did find a workaround, which I posted in the networking/wireless section. But this was never a problem in Mint 8 and 9 (same laptop). I used to pick the proprietary version b43, but now only STA works, installed from terminal. Maverick has the same problem.

But the desktop theme is magnificent! No more chunky window borders, smooth and clear font, nice refreshing icon-set. I think this beats the Ubuntu ambiance by a long shot; but of course - lots of thanks goes to the guys at Canonical also and all the communities upstream.

(I never in tried the 'simple scan' app since my escape from 'the dark side' (don't know why). I was pleasantly surprised my canon lide30 worked straightaway. Just a sidenote...)

Thanks and may the Source be with you...:)

pS:
Oh, just one small thing: If all borders are rounded at the top, why not mintMenu? - just a thought
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

watcheroftheskies wrote:Hi Clem and all,

Just one downer: wireless (broadcom 4312) did not install the usual way. I did find a workaround, which I posted in the networking/wireless section. But this was never a problem in Mint 8 and 9 (same laptop). I used to pick the proprietary version b43, but now only STA works, installed from terminal. Maverick has the same problem.

But the desktop theme is magnificent! No more chunky window borders, smooth and clear font, nice refreshing icon-set. I think this beats the Ubuntu ambiance by a long shot; but of course - lots of thanks goes to the guys at Canonical also and all the communities upstream.

(I never in tried the 'simple scan' app since my escape from 'the dark side' (don't know why). I was pleasantly surprised my canon lide30 worked straightaway. Just a sidenote...)

Thanks and may the Source be with you...:)

pS:
Oh, just one small thing: If all borders are rounded at the top, why not mintMenu? - just a thought
Actually the STA is the proprietary version and it works better than the B43
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

The calendar placement is correct on a Compaq-C700 laptop, Acer em350 netbook and ThinkCentre m57e desktop. Haven't checked on any of my other machines yet.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

The screen brightness adjustment doesn't work on my Samsung R519 LapTop again in this release. It didn't with Mint 9 either which I reported at the time.

The brightness level must be adjusted while Grub is displayed cos it doesn't work after that. The screen brightness setting in the Power Management Window is purely cosmetic. Nice thought though.

I see Brasero has been messed with, no copy and paste option any more. Been replaced with a convoluted alternative instead. I wonder if it is an 'Ubuntu' legacy?

Just discovered the internal wireless doesn't work with Mint 10 either. Worked perfectly with 9 of course. Now it receives OK but won't let me connect to my home network for some reason.

Otherwise Mint 10 is Brilliant. No doubt about it Clem and the Team have done a great job [as usual] with their part of the release.

As an aside, I suspect most Australian Users would look rather darkly at the name 'Julia'.

and for those who don't understand my last comment.... it would be similar to naming Mint 15 'Obama'!

Griz.
aia832003

Post by aia832003 »

I love the new theme and overall feel of the RC. Everything I have tested works as needed except that the mint-flashplugin does not work with Hulu. It will load the flash home screen on the site but no videos. I am testing on an Acer Aspire One D250 in 32bit install. Any ideas other than install the standard plugin for flash?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Does anyone have an idea when the final release might be? I had a problem with the flash plugin so I'll wait till the final release to check it out again. Thanks.
CaptHilts

Post by CaptHilts »

watcheroftheskies wrote:But the desktop theme is magnificent! No more chunky window borders, smooth and clear font, nice refreshing icon-set. I think this beats the Ubuntu ambiance by a long shot
couldn't agree more! However, for me there's one thing where ambiance is just aesthetically the most pleasant looking right now: the window border specifically. The only problem there, is that in Ubuntu you cannot change the side of the buttons from the left (or is that now also possible?). Mint's approach here, once more, is far better in leaving you the choice. Thus, currently using ambiance window border with buttons on the right :)
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I totally messed up my Mint 9 install playing around with stuff so decided to take the plunge and install the 10RC on my main machine. As it has an nVidia card I used "nomodeset" to boot the CD and install went as usual.

Problem is, after install I get a black screen with "no signal" and there is no countdown timer so don't know what key to hit and when after the POST. I don't mind waiting a couple of seconds extra for boot!

Please remind an old f@rt what he key needs to press and when. :)

Edit: OK my old brain remembered I need to hit "TAB" but as there's no GRUB screen it's really hit and miss to get the timing right. No success yet!

Edit2: OK. Fixed. "Shift" at boot brought up the Grub menu and I'm back in business. Updating now then to install nVidia drivers.
AirValor

Post by AirValor »

I've downloaded the Mint 10 64 bit ISO, and have -installed- it on my USB with Universal USB Installer. (So that I can boot with it)

I've installed Mint 10 once, worked fine everything, but I had messed up my partitions. So I had to delete all my partitions (windows too)
And reinstalled Windows.

But now when I boot unto the Live CD of Mint10RC, whenever I move my mouse, I get the following error with a black screen: "GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)"

I could install mint without moving my mouse but whenever its installed, and I move my mouse, same error happens. (I've tried it)

I've checked the MD5, so the ISO isnt corrupt...

EDIT: For anyone that stumbles to this...

The issue has resolved itself... I have reinstalled Mint on my USB only 1 more time, then tried it again. And somehow, it works flawlessly now.

Awesome release Clem!
Last edited by AirValor on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morty007

Post by morty007 »

What impresses me is that I've only tested 10 off of the cd, and it's snappy as hell. Do a simple right click and create a new folder...it's instantaneous for me compared with the past. :D
rashkae

Post by rashkae »

I like the new style, visually, but why do Ubuntu theme creators (including the new mint-x theme) think that window borders are optional? At a minimum, making the bottom border a few pixels wide (as it was previously) at least makes it easy to grab a bottom corner of a window resize when there is no gnome status resize handle.. See for example the Bamboo Zen theme (from Bisigi) that manages to add wider borders without even looking clunky.

Also note that the grab handles on the Panel (for the Window List and old Notification area, as examples) are invisible.
Smiff2

Post by Smiff2 »

rashkae wrote:I like the new style, visually, but why do Ubuntu theme creators (including the new mint-x theme) think that window borders are optional? At a minimum, making the bottom border a few pixels wide (as it was previously) at least makes it easy to grab a bottom corner of a window resize when there is no gnome status resize handle.. See for example the Bamboo Zen theme (from Bisigi) that manages to add wider borders without even looking clunky.

Also note that the grab handles on the Panel (for the Window List and old Notification area, as examples) are invisible.
totally agreed. in the rush to make linux look better than macos (not bad in itself) usability seems to be getting forgotten. watch a new user trying to resize a window - say what you want about microsoft, but they do usability studies well.

my plan right now is to use the Mint10 final gnome release and change the theme, icons etc, add nautilis-elementary, docky, etc, then eventually clone the system (somehow!). the 100% ubuntu compatibility is worth having i think (vs. say using LMDE and having to re-fix everything Ubuntu has fixed).
deleted

Post by deleted »

Did I miss the post, or does anyone notice the "hard edges" on (at least) synaptic and banshee.
Is there a way to smooth the scrollbars on banshee and smooth the category buttons on synaptic?
-Hinto
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

grizwald wrote:As an aside, I suspect most Australian Users would look rather darkly at the name 'Julia'.
This is true. Perhaps we should name Mint 11 Kevin? :lol:
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

GNOME font size issue in RC?

Post by rps63ifid »

I just pulled down and installed the RC on my netbook. I've run various releases of Linux Mint or Ubuntu (most recently 10.10) on this box since I bought it a couple of years ago and I haven't encountered this problem on this system or any other. One of the first things I typically do is select fairly small font sizes on the GNOME Preferences > Appearance > Fonts page. I usually go with Sans 7 for the application, document, desktop, and window title fonts (with the window title font also being bolded). On a small screen like this, I want the OS UI as small as possible.

I've done that on this system, as well, but GNOME seems to be ignoring the application font size setting even after restarting the system. The setting is saved (I can see it is retained on the Preferences > Appearance > Fonts page) but the font is still the original size. All of the other font settings there seem to be being honored.

Edit: I can tell it is honoring part of that application font setting, as I can change it over to use the Ubuntu font at 7pt size and the font itself changes, but not the size. And further confusing this, Firefox /does/ seem to be honoring the font size setting, but nothing else is.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Can someone try something similar on another system and see if you see the same thing?

--
/ron
<><
gtype

Post by gtype »

is it finally possible to choose the packets/components on install?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

gtype wrote:is it finally possible to choose the packets/components on install?
Nope
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
rps63ifid
Level 1
Level 1

Re: GNOME font size issue in RC?

Post by rps63ifid »

rps63ifid wrote:I just pulled down and installed the RC on my netbook. I've run various releases of Linux Mint or Ubuntu (most recently 10.10) on this box since I bought it a couple of years ago and I haven't encountered this problem on this system or any other. One of the first things I typically do is select fairly small font sizes on the GNOME Preferences > Appearance > Fonts page. I usually go with Sans 7 for the application, document, desktop, and window title fonts (with the window title font also being bolded). On a small screen like this, I want the OS UI as small as possible.

I've done that on this system, as well, but GNOME seems to be ignoring the application font size setting even after restarting the system. The setting is saved (I can see it is retained on the Preferences > Appearance > Fonts page) but the font is still the original size. All of the other font settings there seem to be being honored.

Edit: I can tell it is honoring part of that application font setting, as I can change it over to use the Ubuntu font at 7pt size and the font itself changes, but not the size. And further confusing this, Firefox /does/ seem to be honoring the font size setting, but nothing else is.

Is anyone else seeing this issue? Can someone try something similar on another system and see if you see the same thing?

--
/ron
<><
I've determined this is something -- perhaps intentional? -- with the new Mint-X and Mint-X-Metal themes. They seem to be ignoring the application font size or limiting it somehow, which really doesn't work for me on this particular system. I changed to a theme I often use ("eco" from the bisigi project) and the application font is as specified in my preferences.

Odd...

--
/ron
<><
candtalan

Post by candtalan »

Installer bug?

Please note I have experienced in the RC CD (and also in Ubuntu 10.10 desktop 32 bit) what seems to be a significant Installer bug buried inside one of the install options. It is too late to remove it from Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop CD however, you may still have time to deal with it in Mint?

Maverick installer lost Windows partitions
Bug #659106

Return to “Releases & Announcements”