Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Linux Mint 10 RC - Wow!

Postby mistywindow on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:28 pm

I've been dipping my toe into Linux for years. I managed to work with Ubuntu 8.04 for 6 months before giving up and going back to Windows 7. There always seemed to be a deal-breaker.

A month ago Windows 7 infuriated me almost as much as Vista had so I went back for another go at Ubuntu. It was OK but my notebook and netbook Broadcom wireless and Bluetooth were infuriatingly flaky. In desperation I installed Mint 10 RC 32-bit on my netbook (HP 210 Mini) and Mint 10 RC 64-bit on my notebook (Dell Studio XPS 16).

Instant Heaven!

It just works!

And it's beautiful. Elegance is a rare commodity in open source but Mint has it in abundance.

I now have Internet tethering from my iPhone to both machines via Bluetooth - which Windows 7 couldn't accomplish. Outstanding achievement Mint team.

One of my dealbreakers previously was notetaking applications. I use Evernote and there's nothing to match it. Someone on my blog referred me to the Evernote interface Nevernote for Linux. It's excellent. Another box ticked.

This is life-changing. I now have zero reasons for going back to Windows - ever. I've just sold my Adobe CS4 Design Premium Suite and MS Office 2010 in $1 auctions. Got good prices too. :) I got so carried away that I made a small donation. And I'll be making more.

No regrets.

Thank you.
"Not what I have, but what I do is my kingdom."
Thomas Carlysle
mistywindow
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Postby The Alpha Gamer on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Has the MintMenu button not loading properly on startup bug been fixed in 10?
The Alpha Gamer
Level 3
Level 3

Postby grey1960envoy on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:58 pm

I have yet to find fault with Mint 10 since I installed it on my laptop except the calender being in a different place but hey I never look at it anyway so no biggie.I have gotten used to FF being the default browser but I installed Chrome which I use only.I just ignore FF.as for the mint menu I find it loaded as soon as I need it.
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby stalonge on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Well , after 20 days working here .. everything is fine ... except N wifi network is not working ... just G network is running ... hope the fix for this be realease soon ..

Great job devs

LinuxMint .. forever

:D :D
stalonge
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GeneC on Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi!

Thanks all involved with the project. Mint 10 is just great. I am very new to Linux and Mint. (3 months). I installed MINT 10 RC (64 bit) a couple weeks ago, and its been running flawlessly. Everything works. ATI driver works fine.

Here is the curious part. I also just installed MINT 10 RC (32bit). I wanted to see if it recognized my 6GB of RAM as I read it would do by installing the PAE kernel by default. It did recognize the 6GB of RAM just fine, which pleased me, BUT the ATI driver does not work? :?: It works perfectly on the same machine (dual boot) on the 64 bit version. Everything is the same. I tired un-installing and re-installing the driver. Still no good. The boot hangs up at a black screen with an error message about "...too many connections...". Just for the heck of it I un-installed and re-installed the ATI driver on the 64bit version, and it re-installed and worked just fine?? Anyone have any ideas?

My computer
AMD PhenomII x4
Graphics (on-board) ATI Radeon 4250
6GB RAM

Its not a big deal as the default driver runs the compiz "extra" visual effects selected. Which surprised me.

Gene
GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

Qiana (Cinnamon/XFCE)
Sparky XFCE (Debian Testing)
Sparky Cin 2.2 (SID)
OpenSUSE 13.1 (Gnome)
Evolve OS (Budgie)
GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Postby starrfleat on Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:09 pm

I've installed L M 10 RC on my Dell Optiplex 745. Lookin' Good.
Whatever you've done to the printer programming and drivers for HP printers, keep it. I replaced an old Lexmark X125 with an HP PSC 1315. No linux could detect the Lexmark. Mint 9 detected the HP, but when I tried to print in black only, it printed in green. :P
LM 10 RC prints in black when I tell the installed version of Open Office writer to print black text. I didn't try to analyze the problem in MInt 9; no time; so if I had to print from that PC, rebooted into Windows XP. Now that L M 10 RC gets it right, that's one more feather in your cap. Dunno how or why, but thanx and congrats.
starrfleat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bpgator on Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:12 pm

I have been using mint linux for three years now. I started out trying all the different distros at that time, found mint and fell in love with it. Mint 10 RC is the best yet. a couple of coworkers in the office viewed my thinkpad set up with mint 10 rc and said "wow, whats that". I now have 5 of my friends and coworkers using mint 10 in dual boot with windows. They hardly ever use windows any more and love mint. The mint team has done a great job! :D
bpgator
Level 1
Level 1

Postby grey1960envoy on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:22 am

I have to ask What is windows ?something you look through I hope and not something to throw money into ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby excentrica on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 am

I am not sure where this belongs, but this is the only place I could find with Reference to Mint 10 RC...

I have an Asus K50ID notebook, and when I switch from main power to battery, it intermittently freezes up.
I tried Ubuntu 10.10 = same problem.... but does not do so in Mint 9 or Ubuntu 10.04LTS. So the problem you have with power is related to Ubuntu 10.10 which you have based RC10 on..... the bug has been reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... mments=all

Any help trying to fix it, iron it out before you final release could be a really great thing! I have had to roll back to Mint 9 because of this problem.

thanks
Glenn
excentrica
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Susu on Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Whooohooooo, final release is near. Watch it: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :mrgreen:
At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say...
Susu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby phrostbyte on Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:42 am

Susu wrote:Whooohooooo, final release is near. Watch it: http://community.linuxmint.com/iso :mrgreen:

Excellent... I've been saving my last DVD-R for it. :D
phrostbyte
Level 2
Level 2

Postby grey1960envoy on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:56 am

I've been very happy with the RC since I installed it (it is my ONLY OS against suggestions) and have had absolutely ZERO problems everything worked right out of the box aside from the printer needing a bit of TLC.Re-installed drivers and good to go.
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Karliboy on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:44 pm

Looking forward to the final release! I don't care how long it takes to bring out the beast as long as the chains holding it won't break :)
Karliboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Karliboy on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 pm

bpgator wrote:I have been using mint linux for three years now. I started out trying all the different distros at that time, found mint and fell in love with it. Mint 10 RC is the best yet. a couple of coworkers in the office viewed my thinkpad set up with mint 10 rc and said "wow, whats that". I now have 5 of my friends and coworkers using mint 10 in dual boot with windows. They hardly ever use windows any more and love mint. The mint team has done a great job! :D

... And what does your boss say to this? : p
Karliboy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kmb42vt on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:29 pm

Karliboy wrote:
bpgator wrote:I have been using mint linux for three years now. I started out trying all the different distros at that time, found mint and fell in love with it. Mint 10 RC is the best yet. a couple of coworkers in the office viewed my thinkpad set up with mint 10 rc and said "wow, whats that". I now have 5 of my friends and coworkers using mint 10 in dual boot with windows. They hardly ever use windows any more and love mint. The mint team has done a great job! :D

... And what does your boss say to this? :P

He/she is probably one of the converts. :mrgreen:
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Susu on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Grrrrr, can't wait for the final release any longer. Will make it main system on my netbook, although it needs some major (kernel) tweaking. Go, Mint, go!
At the end of the day, it's what you do, not what you say...
Susu
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tracar on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:34 pm

i have a small request to make things a bit easier and less frustrating.....but im unsure if its something i can do on the post install or you all. at the programming level !

anyways . i have a wide screen monitor and like my resolution way up.... but often find my self getting aggravated at the complexity agility and time it takes to move my mouse pointer ever so slightly (feels like one line of resolution) to the edge of a window to grab it and change the window width ,but often drop the window due to my finger tapping on the mouse . can a fix for that be implemented to the rc10+ ?

LoveTheMint !
tracar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tracar on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm

if everyone hated everyone we would all be treated equally ;)
now nut/Vag up and lets get to the point of this thread

previous qoute:
"I imagine two ways around that: one, you can increase mouse cursor speed.. and two, you can disable trackpad clicking. "

it appears to me that as the screen resolution increases the border resolution also increases, making the line thinner (harder to resize with the mouse pointer).
so a great change would be to have the border thicken respectively with the increase in screen resolution. just an idea.
tracar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bpgator on Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:41 am

kmb42vt wrote:
Karliboy wrote:

... And what does your boss say to this? :P

He/she is probably one of the converts. :mrgreen:

Ha, thats very funny because he is one of them. Its his first linux distro and he's liked it from day one.
bpgator
Level 1
Level 1

Release: Linux Mint 10 RC

Postby gentilpote on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:32 am

Bonjour à tous
J'ai essayé d'installer mint 10 sur une clef usb : ça a été une catastrophe !
J'ai un acer revo avec un disque dur et un lecteur de dvd externe.
J'ai inséré une clef usb et mis le cd de mint-10 dans le lecteur Dvd
J'ai lancé mint à partir du Dvd et demandé l'installation sur la clef usb.
Résultat :
Le boot sur la clef usb a échoué, elle ne boote pas, l'écran reste noir.
Mais plus grave, le grub de mon disque dur (pourtant non-monté) a été désagrégé...
Maintenant quand j'essaye de booter sur le disque dur, je n'ai que le prompt "Grub rescue >"
Quelqu'un saurait-il comment rétablir mon ancien boot mint-9, cat j'ai vu que mes fichiers étaient toujours présents ?
Et si ça ne marchait pas, quelqu'un saurait-il comment récupérer les liens de firefox ?
Merci d'avance à tous.

Ps : Ce message a été écrit à partir du live du Dvd de mint-10 qui marche très bien.
gentilpote
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements