mintUpdate 1.2 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Yeah that doesn't work so well then lol.

Btw MerlWiz I look forward to your Daryana version :P
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mintupdate in KDE

Post by merlwiz79 »

Sagasha wrote:OK I got it started in KDE and it shows some 80 updates but when I click "Install" it doesn't do anything?

What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks
I am in XFCE, but I have KDE CE installed with mintUpdate and it worked fine before.
Do you have Synaptic installed?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Same for me as jbaerbock... Synaptic lists 4 upgradable apps, while mintUpdate finds none even after refresh. :(
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

mintUpdate only performs update, synaptic does dist-upgrade... so it can explain why synaptic sees more things than mintUpdate.

mintUpdate runs in user mode at boot.. and in root mode after you click it. In user mode it can't perform updates so it relies on other programs to update APT and stores its files in your home... in root more it's using /usr/lib/linuxmint

There are a few remaining issues, mostly with mintUpdate running in the background... I'll try to fix these as fast as I can.

Clem
Sagasha

Re: Mintupdate in KDE

Post by Sagasha »

merlwiz79 wrote
I am in XFCE, but I have KDE CE installed with mintUpdate and it worked fine before.
Do you have Synaptic installed?
Guess I missed that!!! Thanks I installed Synaptic and it works. I made a shortcut for it in K-Menu, thanks again.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:mintUpdate only performs update, synaptic does dist-upgrade... so it can explain why synaptic sees more things than mintUpdate.

mintUpdate runs in user mode at boot.. and in root mode after you click it. In user mode it can't perform updates so it relies on other programs to update APT and stores its files in your home... in root more it's using /usr/lib/linuxmint

There are a few remaining issues, mostly with mintUpdate running in the background... I'll try to fix these as fast as I can.

Clem
When I look at the list in /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate it has all the updates that was in Synaptic.
When I look in the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/ it has the update i didn't install the last time and no new updates.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

merlwiz.. can you explain more, give me examples.. I don't really understand. Is wajig installed on that system? what does it give you when you type sudo wajig toupgrade?

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:merlwiz.. can you explain more, give me examples.. I don't really understand. Is wajig installed on that system? what does it give you when you type sudo wajig toupgrade?

Clem
Yes it's installed.
I have installed all the updates already.
But the file /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/upgrades shows old updates that I can't install since the -dev hasn't came out for it.
But the file in /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate/ had all the updates that Synaptic had.
So I moved it to /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/ but it got overwritten with the old list again.
So I used Synaptic to install them.
I will have to login to Xubuntu Gutsy and take screenshots later today.(I am sure it has updates)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ede: can you give me an example of package that appears in synaptic and not in mintUpdate? don't forget to tell me the repository needed to see that package update by the way.

Merlwiz: the home file should be outdated.. the /usr/lib should be newer.. the difference between the 2 is that the /usr/lib one is taken after apt-get update is called. Don't hesitate to send more info and an example of package and where it is in these files.

Guys, I've just fixed a lot of things so I'm getting ready to release 1.3... if what you're seeing is a bug 1.3 won't fix it but as there's a new logging scheme in it, it will help us understand the problem better.

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:Ede: can you give me an example of package that appears in synaptic and not in mintUpdate? don't forget to tell me the repository needed to see that package update by the way.

Merlwiz: the home file should be outdated.. the /usr/lib should be newer.. the difference between the 2 is that the /usr/lib one is taken after apt-get update is called. Don't hesitate to send more info and an example of package and where it is in these files.

Guys, I've just fixed a lot of things so I'm getting ready to release 1.3... if what you're seeing is a bug 1.3 won't fix it but as there's a new logging scheme in it, it will help us understand the problem better.

Clem
Ok here is the screenshot.
The empty upgrades is from the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/tmp/
The one with the new info is from /home/USERNAME/.linuxmint/mintUpdate/
Click image to enlarge:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You're looking at Gutsy there.. :) The only thing I can think of.. is that the new python libs in gutsy break something in mintUpdate which is only run in root mode... and that makes the refresh crash...

If you close synaptic and refresh manually in mintUpdate you get nothing at all?

... or ...

can you show me the output of "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" (don't do the upgrade.. just show the output and select "No").

and then the same but with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade..

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

by the way.. if it does actually break mintUpdate... version 1.3 should tell us about it in the logs.

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:You're looking at Gutsy there.. :) The only thing I can think of.. is that the new python libs in gutsy break something in mintUpdate which is only run in root mode... and that makes the refresh crash...

If you close synaptic and refresh manually in mintUpdate you get nothing at all?

... or ...

can you show me the output of "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade" (don't do the upgrade.. just show the output and select "No").

and then the same but with sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade..

Clem
It's Xubuntu Gutsy with everything I was adding to Celena XFCE CE, even the theme and wallpaper.
I opened mintUpdate click refresh then opened Synaptic to show the updates it had from yesterday.
It can't be Gutsy since I get the same thing in KDE CE.
Though that was my 1st though and didn't post about it.
Here is the info you wanted.
http://www.box.net/shared/nz0q5kd3vr
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I think this started when in Xubuntu I forced Firefox not to update to firefox mint.
In KDE CE I used forced version of libhal1 and libhal-storage1 so I can install the -dev of them.
I haven't done anything like that in Cassandra(Main) and mintUpdate 1.3 works fine.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

just thought id point out the link in the first post is broken, but if you just go to the daryana you can get 1.4 thru http
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ive been hacking around the interface today, to try and make it look neater, heres what ive come up with

heres the updated glade file and mintUpdate.py

http://rapidshare.com/files/62499787/mi ... r.bz2.html

the python changes are pretty minimal it can be summed up as

Code: Select all

def force_refresh(widget, treeview, statusIcon, wTree):
	#start of edits
	# this is just to ensure the Select/unselect button works after the refresh which autoselects all
	global toggle
	toggle = 1
	wTree.get_widget("selection_label").set_text(_("Unselect All"))
	#end of edits
	refresh = RefreshThread(treeview, statusIcon, wTree)
	refresh.start()

#Start of Edits

#Ive Redefined clear to encompass select_all and the old clear with an if statement
def clear(widget, treeView):
	global toggle
	if (toggle == 1):
		#def clear(widget, treeView):
		model = treeView.get_model()
		iter = model.get_iter_first()
		while (iter != None):
			model.set_value(iter, 0, "false")
			iter = model.iter_next(iter)
		wTree.get_widget("selection_label").set_text(_("Select All"))
		toggle = 0
	else:
		#def select_all(widget, treeView):
		model = treeView.get_model()
		iter = model.get_iter_first()
		while (iter != None):
			model.set_value(iter, 0, "true")
			iter = model.iter_next(iter)
		wTree.get_widget("selection_label").set_text(_("Unselect All"))
		toggle = 1
#End of edits
the code is only there because i thought having a clear and select all button looked cluttered. tell me what you think clem :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Hairy Palms,

I like what you've done with the GUI but I like the one we already have a little bit better. The Clear button is one of my favorites, the first button I click on actually... cause I usually clear, then select things I want, one by one.

Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

ah ok np :) the unselect all button still has the same function as the clear button tho,
one thing i thought i might report, when you select the changelog tab, the program hangs for a 3-4 seconds, i wonder if there might be a way to resolve this by threading out the aptitude command.
klaeje
Level 1
Level 1

mint update

Post by klaeje »

the link to upgrade doesn't work! :oops:
is there another way to do this?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”