Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
AXP

Re: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by AXP »

very fast mirror in Russia:

http://mirror.yandex.ru/linuxmint/stable/10/
ftp://mirror.yandex.ru/linuxmint/stable/10/

please add to off list

thx
Andy Axnot

Post by Andy Axnot »

Kudos for a great release. I think I could actually get to like Gnome! :D

For anybody interested, Trinity KDE 3.5.12 installs just fine; follow instructions for Ubuntu Maverick on Pearson website,
http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

Andy
blackblack

Post by blackblack »

About a week ago, my Microsoft system would no longer boot. It told me that I either had a hardware problem or a software problem (go figure!). As I had Mint KDE installed in a partition, I was easily able to eliminate hardware as an issue. I ended up reformatting the Windows partition and reinstalling all my software, which wasted a Sunday afternoon. I rebooted several times. All was well. The next day I started the machine, only to find a repeat of the same problem...would not boot. I had had enough, so I wiped the entire disk and installed Mint 10. What a PLEASURE! I have one machine running Helena, and now my "Microsoft" machine is running Julia. The additional drivers allowed me to activate my wireless card, without having to spend hours to find it on the web. I am an old Unix user, who today hates computers. The developers did a great job with Mint 10. I just wanted to say "Thanks!"
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Julia Rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
palsor

Post by palsor »

Just installed Julia on my brother's new laptop to introduce him to Linux. Have always used Slackware and Gentoo, but I wanted something more user friendly for him. I am astounded! Installed effortlessly (once I found out you couldn't use capital letters in a username!), looks fantastic, and everything so far works perfectly. And I think he'll be using Windows less and less and Linux more and more. Bravo to Mint!
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I'm thinking of giving Julia a run on my friend's laptop which is currently running Vista. I had planned to wipe the pre-installed OS off it and install Vista fresh but getting drivers for all of the speciality components was a nightmare and even the ATI drivers simply didn't load at boot time. I ended up taking the "short" way out and recovered the factory defaults and proceeded to then remove about 15 applications which unnecessarily replace perfectly functional Windows components for stupid things like wireless configuration. Even after doing that it was noticeably slower than my previous fresh installation, but at least the hardware was working out of the box.

I'll take my Live USB around next time :) He already uses Pidgin, Firefox and Thunderbird so that's a head start on many Windows users, but he also runs Skype and the more common MS Office components (Word, Excel etc) which may pose more of a problem to replace if he doesn't take to Open Office nicely (which he may, he's not fussy).
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

OK, I'm going to ask again on this page, since it went unanswered on the previous one:

When can we expect to see Level 1 and Level 2 updates on MintUpdate for those of us who want to upgrade from Mint 10 RC to Mint 10 without having to download another .iso, burn another disc, and do another fresh install?

Sorry for repeating myself here, but there've been no answers to this question since the full release was announced. And I think it's a fair question to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Zarggg

Post by Zarggg »

I was under the impression that the level 1 & 2 updates should already be on the repositories.
DrTeeth

Post by DrTeeth »

I was expecting to see a surge of updates once the final version went live and I have not. That is why I am trying to get clarification.

DrT
jimdj

Post by jimdj »

Hi
I have been running linux mint 8 for a year now and it blows windows out of the galaxy. Anyway I am seriousely thinking of upgardeing to mint 10 the only possible problem that i see is with my graphics card. I have an acer travelmate 2300 laptop, and I have tried mint9 and could not get the graphics to work. My question is will they work with mint 10?? please let me know, i have a 64 meg intel extreme graphics adapter BTW.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

jimdj wrote:Hi
I have been running linux mint 8 for a year now and it blows windows out of the galaxy. Anyway I am seriousely thinking of upgardeing to mint 10 the only possible problem that i see is with my graphics card. I have an acer travelmate 2300 laptop, and I have tried mint9 and could not get the graphics to work. My question is will they work with mint 10?? please let me know, i have a 64 meg intel extreme graphics adapter BTW.
Why don't you burn a DVD and try it without installing?
m4daredsun

Post by m4daredsun »

red-e-made wrote:OK, I'm going to ask again on this page, since it went unanswered on the previous one:

When can we expect to see Level 1 and Level 2 updates on MintUpdate for those of us who want to upgrade from Mint 10 RC to Mint 10 without having to download another .iso, burn another disc, and do another fresh install?

Sorry for repeating myself here, but there've been no answers to this question since the full release was announced. And I think it's a fair question to ask.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, it is a fair question to ask.

And an authoritative answer would be very nice...
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

m4daredsun wrote:
red-e-made wrote:OK, I'm going to ask again on this page, since it went unanswered on the previous one:

Thanks in advance.

But it has been answered many times if you search.
If you have updated with all the default settings that you get when you installed the rc version, you already have the full version on your machine.

The likelyhood of of a mass of updates being needed to take you from rc to full is very small, and there could even be no packages to update; the rc is after all a "release candidate" and could turn out to be the final release.
aelfinn

Latest review of Mint 10 on Dedoimedo

Post by aelfinn »

Just thought you might be interested: review of Linux Mint 10 on Dedoimedo, generally very favourable, but with one or two detailed suggestions to improve the user experience even further.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Just installed Julia and it's another quality release.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
estiko

Post by estiko »

I have been using Julia. Very nice. Also, a lot of changes compared with Isadora.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

ajgreeny wrote:
m4daredsun wrote:

Thanks in advance.

But it has been answered many times if you search.
If you have updated with all the default settings that you get when you installed the rc version, you already have the full version on your machine.

The likelyhood of of a mass of updates being needed to take you from rc to full is very small, and there could even be no packages to update; the rc is after all a "release candidate" and could turn out to be the final release.
If this question has been answered, "many times", how about providing a link? We're not the only ones asking this question, after all.

And yes, "there could even be no packages to update" is precisely the point - they would only be Level 1 and Level 2 updates, so I don't know what this point proves.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

When is LMDE going to be updated to match JULIA?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

It can't match Julia, they are built from different upstream sources. Only the mint tools can be the same really.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

randomizer wrote:It can't match Julia, they are built from different upstream sources. Only the mint tools can be the same really.
mint tools and graphics as well?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”