Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
quantumbox

Finally Fixed It!!!

Post by quantumbox »

Finally! They've fixed the problem I've had with all previous releases of Mint/Ubuntu, where my my external hard drive would unmount itself after 15 minutes if not in use, requiring me to power cycle the drive to get it to remount. It's been connected for 24 hours now and no signs of closing. YAY!

I also find that the video driver is improved. Isadora was giving me issues with blocky video on full-screen, and since this PC is basically a glorified television (in fact, the monitor IS a television, and the tower is on my entertainment unit in the living room), good video quality was crucial. Sadly, a year ago, Windows was the only thing I could find that would give me proper video drivers for my graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 4800).

Got both my printers (USB and Apple airport) connected in minutes. Having a goofy problem with double-sided printing, but I'll deal with that later.

Now everything is running as expected, and I couldn't possibly be happier to have Windows effectively off my computer. I've kept it on a small partition, because we sometimes like to play video games and any way you cut it, they just run better natively on Windows... But now, for my day-to-day business NO MORE STUPID Microsoft!!

<3 Julia xox
Carl Forster

Re: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by Carl Forster »

I have just downloaded it to a new system DT as follows....
ASUS P5G41T-M LX
cpu intel e5400 CORE 2 DUO 2.7gHZ
4GB ddr 3 RRM 2 X 2GB
SEATGATE 80gB SATA HDD
DVD READER

Disk has been set up using FDISK then a format DOS.

Problem it gets to the enter your information and passwords here it hangs will NOT give me the FORWARD ben back and forward cannot figure out why.

Help would be appreciated.

Regards carl (New Zealand)
Chad De Lange

Post by Chad De Lange »

Hi How do I Compile programs
2Stoned

Post by 2Stoned »

Mint 10 is just awesome! Some great improvements and a new slick smooth theme. More Freedom then even before. Thanks to the Mint Team!! :wink:
ilAli
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ilAli »

one of the weakness of Linux editions against windows is that (most of them) every 6 months they realize a new edition .
from one point of view this is good but from another point of view it is bad because users can not rely on their OS. for example i want to install Mint 10 on my pc now but about some months later the new version will realize and after about 1 year later i cannot give support from company. but Microsoft realizes it's windows about every 3 years. if i want to hold my mint 10 for 3 years, who will support the OS? additionally from psychological point of view after for example 1.5 years when i see that my own mint is mint 10 and the current one is mint 13, it has a sense of musty to me.
What do you think?
(i hope my weak English be understandable!)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

For this kind of users, there's the 'LTS' release that is made every 2 years. They have 3 years of support. Linux Mint 9 is an LTS release, and 13 will also be one.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Colonel Panic »

2Stoned wrote:Mint 10 is just awesome! Some great improvements and a new slick smooth theme. More Freedom then even before. Thanks to the Mint Team!! :wink:
Yep. I've just downloaded Julia and am running it on a public computer (in my local community centre). It's already clear to me that it's another winner from the Mint team - a superb release. Well done guys.
pav01

Post by pav01 »

It looks nice indeed but I can't install it on my PC.
I have tried to install it today after reinstalling windows and formatting the hard drive. I have used 'instal alonside other systems' option, everything went smooth until the reboot. It have displayed an error: 'you need to load the kernel first'. I have reinstalled it again, then formatted linux partition and installed again... Then I have removed all partitions and installed it again with option 'use entire disk'. Unfortunatelly it shows the same error all the times. CD Integrity check passed ok. My impresion about Linux Mint is very poor, I don't think that it can be something wrong with my pc, windows installed without any problems and after removing all partitions there is clear that poor code is the cause rather some other os conflicts. I have wasted all all day for trying to install it and finished with windows again...

[edit]
I have sucessfully installed Fedora 14 wihout any problems...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can you boot into the Live CD and post the contents of the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg on your disk?
nekoCAT

Post by nekoCAT »

I would like to say thanks to the developers for this release. I've been using it since it first came out.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

It is great!
Drop Ubuntu use Mint. :wink:

And keep the 'freedom' so watch out for Unity or Gnome 3.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Gnome 3 without the shell is actually a good free and open-source DE, but the Gnome Shell is madness indeed.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Yes indeed. The 'fallback' is right. Shell is back to the menu's in a modern way. Without a desktop which we
use everyday. I don't need a hatefull OS for a handheld on my desktop or laptop.

The problem is I know KDE very well and I loved KDE =<3.5.
So they 'made' KDE 4.x.x :shock: :roll:
It is usable now, but there are still all kinds of annoyances. Like the panels, which are not 'free', config etc.

So it could be an alternative for Gnome, but not fully in my opinion.
I downloaded and installed PCLOS KDE on a partition and it is not wrong.
Xfce does not all things the way I want it to. Further it's allright.
Etc.

And: in fact I don't want Windows again. The last Windows for me was Millennium.
But if 'they' are going to force it upon me, I have use Windows again.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

I have Ubuntu on a partition here. I try Unity. It is usable when one doesn't have anything else.
At the moment I use for day to day work Mint-Xfce of Mint LMDE. Perfect!
And Lxde is also very, very usable with a little care.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

There are other existing threads to discuss these subjects. This is a two-year old thread announcing the release of LM10.

Thread Locked.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”