Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
aboul7orouf

Re: Linux Mint 10 "Julia" released!

Post by aboul7orouf »

what about nvidia card...like my one ( nvidia g 103m)

and many thanks to you and the team
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

Congrats on the release guys, been using the RC on my desktop and netbook for a while.
Works like a charm =D
fluxbox-beginner

Post by fluxbox-beginner »

especially the design!! as always - great looking distro! i was using ubuntu and had to reinstall, so i decided to give a try to the new mint. excellent job!
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Hi!

I had tried to install Linux Mint 10 earlier and it was a bust. But I did not realize that I had to have the user and machine name and everything exactly the same as the old version for the back up tool to restore everything properly. So I went back to Linux Mint 9 for the time being.

So, I tried Linux Mint 10 on my laptop. I paid very careful attention to make sure the computer and user ID name and all that were identical. It mostly worked, but not 100% Amongst other things, I could not run the Dropbox program (I like that one, as I've got 3 computers). In fact, I could not uninstall it and then reinstall it. For some strange reason, I just could not make Dropbox work at all on my computer. So, I did things the hard way; reinstalled LM 10, did not use backup utility and just put all my data and stuff back on the hard way. But Dropbox works now!

Anyone else have problems with the backup tool restoring data and/or software on an upgrade like this? Before I try to replace LM 9 with LM 10 on my desktop? I was just wondering if I should just use the back up tool to restore data files only and just plug away reinstalling my favoured software one app at a time. I like what LM 10 has, don't get me wrong there. But this upgrade business is taking me much longer than I thought it might have.

Thanks for anything anyone can tell me!
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I had tried to install Linux Mint 10 earlier and it was a bust. But I did not realize that I had to have the user and machine name and everything exactly the same as the old version for the back up tool to restore everything properly. So I went back to Linux Mint 9 for the time being.
I circumvent this problem, by using a separate /home partition.

when the upgrade time comes, I rename my /home/user-name to /home/user-name_old.
then to a fresh install, with the new version liveCD. - using the same user-name.

then, when I have determined that all is ok, :)
I then copy anything needed from the user-name_old directory to the new user-name directory.

this seems to work quite well, for me.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
g.va.io

Post by g.va.io »

g.va.io wrote: but I found a "security" problem on login screen, before try to login on linuxmint 10 press ctrl+alt+del , it will open the system monitor (then you can see from the section File Systems the partitions and from them you can see all the files and you can copy them to usb)
anyone for this. Only me i have this problem?

//edit
p.s. on linuxmint 10 32 bit (from cd)
Last edited by g.va.io on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

It would appear this" Security breach" does the same on my laptop .
g.va.io

Post by g.va.io »

grey1960envoy wrote:It would appear this" Security breach" does the same on my laptop .
what type have you installed?(32bit or 64bit)
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Pierre wrote:
I circumvent this problem, by using a separate /home partition.

when the upgrade time comes, I rename my /home/user-name to /home/user-name_old.
then to a fresh install, with the new version liveCD. - using the same user-name.

then, when I have determined that all is ok, :)
I then copy anything needed from the user-name_old directory to the new user-name directory.

this seems to work quite well, for me.
I selected rewriting the old partition from "/" and all that. The installation itself seems to be fine. I rather suspect the software restore might be the problem. I think one or two things don't quite come off right that way. It's a bit of a pain, but I haven't lost any data, thankfully...
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Very nice. I'm having issues with Compiz not working though. I'm running LM10 as a guest in Virtualbox 3.2.10. I have installed the Guest Additions and enabled 3D in the settings and it's still not working. Any advice? I had no problems getting it to work in LM9.
NCCarlos

Post by NCCarlos »

Excellent. Loving the theme, and of course the operation is flawless so far on my laptop.
Anutesyn

Post by Anutesyn »

Been using the RC for more than one week, might actually do a clean installation just to celebrate the new release :D
azathoth

Post by azathoth »

Nice one Clem and congratulations!
I've been playing with the RC a bit since it came out and while I generally don't care for Ubuntu or Ubuntu respins, this one is pretty nice. You did a good job cleaning it up as always.
As a side note, I was happy to hear you'll be steering clear of Unity for LM11. Mint is better than that, keep up the good work!
yazdzik

Post by yazdzik »

Dear Friends,

Quick questions boradcom sta in jokey:

my live 10 dvd points toward ubuntu repositories rather than local disk

live mint 9 could run sta from live disk

why?

Best,
M
Azati Prime
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Azati Prime »

JonM33 wrote:Very nice. I'm having issues with Compiz not working though. I'm running LM10 as a guest in Virtualbox 3.2.10. I have installed the Guest Additions and enabled 3D in the settings and it's still not working. Any advice? I had no problems getting it to work in LM9.
Try running compiz --replace in terminal.
grey1960envoy

Post by grey1960envoy »

g.va.io wrote:
grey1960envoy wrote:It would appear this" Security breach" does the same on my laptop .
what type have you installed?(32bit or 64bit)
I'm running the 32 bit
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Azati Prime wrote:Try running compiz --replace in terminal.
This is what I get...

Code: Select all

compiz (core) - Fatal: Software rendering detected.
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0
I can run a LM9 Vbox with all 3D enabled side-by-side with the LM10 Vbox which doesn't have the 3D working. Not sure if this is a LM10 issue or Vbox issue? It's not a big deal as I primarily use Vbox to test things out before I go final on my Linux Mint rig (in signature). I can't run Full Screen Mode either on LM10 like I can LM9 with Vbox.

I must admit how well LM10 looks though. Very polished.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Hi everyone, for better or worse I am back! I have therefore just got my first look at Mint 10.

First impressions are that it is a world beating installer, this is really the way to go for new users, the only way it could be improved now is allow some package manipulation pre-install (perhaps behind an advanced button - it would be a shame to spoil how easy it is to use right now). As for the distro itself, it is not sufficiently different from LMDE for me to consider using 10 as my main distro, that is and will remain LMDE for a long time I think. I am also a Fluxbox user and this runs perfectly on 10, but Gnome doesn't run quite as well (at least not for me). It is only a minor problem I get, but an annoying one. If I used Gnome as my main desktop it would really bug me. The problem is that any new keyboard shortcuts that I create only work whilst the keyboard shortcut program remains running. As soon as I close the keyboard shortcuts program the shortcuts stop working, if I open the shortcuts app again they start working again :? . I have to say I get exactly the same behavior on LMDE so it is not exclusive to 10. It doesn't bother me that much because everything works fine on Flux.

The other problem I had is with using Aptoncd. I used aptoncd to copy a lot of programs from LMDE for installation on 10, but unfortunately aptoncd would not recognise the mount point that 10 produces for the cd. Aptoncd looks in /cdrom, but 10 mounts the disk in /media/APTonCD. I tried unmounting the cd creating a /cdrom mount point then manually mounting the cd there, but aptoncd didn't like that either. Probably more a problem with aptoncd than Mint 10 (it should have a way to manually specify where the cd is mounted, but it doesn't).

I don't want to criticise Julia to much, it is still probably the second best distro out there (LMDE is the best because of the rolling release!) I think it will make a great distro for anyone that prefers point releases.

Apologies if any of this has been covered before, I haven't read the forum for a couple of months and that is far too big a backlog for me to trawl through.
rfraser3

Post by rfraser3 »

Great new version and a simple quick upgrade from Isadora - and I am a complete newbie to Linux!!!
Well done.
Rog
Peter4933
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Peter4933 »

Thanks everybody. i am impressed with "Julia". It definitely seems faster on my good old Dell laptop, against the previously installed "Maverick". The main bonus for me however is that I am now able to download programmes on BBC iPlayer, which I could never manage before.
Great job!
Warm regards,
Peter4933.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”