The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 21

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 21

Post by Husse »

The Linux Mint Newsletter - Issue 21 has been released
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... r_Issue_21
We will release a short newsletter every Monday or Tuesday
Last edited by Husse on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Thanks for the very informative newsletter. Husse. :)

Blogger
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Thanks Husse. :D

But you write
"The challenge for the Mint team will be the upgrade path which will eventually determine whether it’s possible to upgrade from Celena to Daryna"
Good but what about an upgrade patch from Cassandra to Daryna? This will be possible? Maybe? :-)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

A quick update on that:

- It will be possible to upgrade from Celena to Daryna. Cassandra users will need to follow instructions to upgrade to Celena and from there to Daryna.

Hopefully in the future we'll develop a tool called mintUpgrade to automate this.

Clem
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

One thing I 'hate' in Ubuntu is to do a re-installation with every release twice a year.
Who needs a new version twice a year? I like Mint but I would like it 'breaks' this cycle. :roll:

Maybe the ideal would be a development à la Red-Hat (and its clones: CentOS, Scientific...) by example, with a longer maintenance versions... OK they are enterprise distros type, and then? :D
Clem wrote:Hopefully in the future we'll develop a tool called mintUpgrade to automate this.
OOOh YES! :lol: We must be able to upgrade without problems! (not like Ubuntu)

There were a few times I used Pardus (I stopped because of their relaxed approach to security) and I was able to upgrade with one simple command to the next version with no problems. Idem with Frugalware... Everything is there even the new artwork. Absolutely perfect! :D

It is incredible that Ubuntu is not able to do the same :twisted:

I'm sorry if my post is a little "provocative" and it is a Ubuntu problem (someone was talking about another base in another topic? http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ing&t=5817 :wink: ) not specifically a Mint problem :oops:
I just wanted to give my humble opinion on the subject... 8)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Husse

Post by Husse »

On upgrade
You are not forced to upgrade just because a new version is released. From Cassandra Mint is so good that you can skip a version or two. Then make a clean install of the first version which supports upgrade with the mint tool
(And I'm not saying that Bianca and earlier is crap, it's just that a lot of Mint goodies were introduced with Cassandra)
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

it's just that a lot of Mint goodies were introduced with Cassandra
Husse,

You are right about that. Cassandra has been the most well thought out Linux distribution that I ever used.
Adler

Wildwood, New Jersey -- On The Jersey Shore
What Doesn't Kill Me, Makes Me Stronger - Friedrich Nietzsche - Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich starker
Adler's Home @ http://www.jjmacey.net/, And Where I Have Been.
Blog @ http://jjmacey.net/blog/
kody
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrades...

Post by kody »

As a linux newb, I had no idea to put my /home mount on a separate partition. Now that I've done that, I expected upgrades to be a piece of cake, especially since the mint installer actually tries to check for user profiles.

But this never works for me!

So, my ideal upgrade and installation would be:
a) the installer finds user profiles successfully,
b) the installer and partition editor always recommend that you have /home mounted to its own partition.

The apps are the easiest part of linux to reinstall I find. It's hassling with user files and permissions and such that really is a big bother. I'd like to upgrade without my wife asking, "where's my wallpaper?! What did you do _this_ time?!" :roll:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Husse wrote:You are not forced to upgrade just because a new version is released. From Cassandra Mint is so good that you can skip a version or two. Then make a clean install of the first version which supports upgrade with the mint tool
Yes of course. In fact I am always with Cassandra :lol:
But Cassandra is based on Feisty and Feisty will not be followed for a long time so we need a mint tool quickly :D
(but in absolute terms it should be possible to upgrade just with apt-get)

And question: six months are really enough to make a distro? :roll:
kody wrote:The apps are the easiest part of linux to reinstall I find.
Yes but why have to reinstall? An upgrade should bring up-to-date system perfectly and therefore the user should have nothing to reinstall :D
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

I dunno how I feel about the news letter simply being a list of topics with links to other places. I appreciate that is probably the easiest way to get the info out there to people, but I dunno, I just felt disappointed to load it up and find there was no actual content.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”