lock up during wine configuration

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

lock up during wine configuration

Post by jerrybee »

I've installed wine using Synaptic. When I try to configure it by entering winecfg in a Terminal, I get a message about it creating the ~/.wine directory then the computer locks up completely. The only way I know to break out of this is to hit the Reset button -- is there another, better, way? This winecfg thing is such an aggravation that I've gone back to Celena.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well Linux has a "software reset button"
Press and keep pressed the alt and Printscreen buttons then type R E I S U B
When you type the B you computer reboots
This is a way to reset that is much gentler to the system
I don't really understand the part about going back to Celena :)
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

system lockup

Post by jerrybee »

Husse wrote:Well Linux has a "software reset button"
Press and keep pressed the alt and Printscreen buttons then type R E I S U B
When you type the B you computer reboots
This is a way to reset that is much gentler to the system
I don't really understand the part about going back to Celena :)
Thanks. It seemed like the Reset Button reset wasn't very gentle because on one occasion I saw messages about how the system was having to do something with the Journals.

As for my going back to Celena: I'd like to have wine working so that I can install a Windows audio file editor program (Wave Corrector) as a part of my effort to move LPs onto the hard drive. And since I can't configure wine in Daryna, that leaves me moving back to Celena on my daily-work HDD. I'll leave Daryna on another HDD that I can swap out. Also, during the boot process, Daryna goes through some long testing on the various partitions that takes several minutes -- not the end of the world, but not great either.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Re: lock up during wine configuration

Post by donlinux »

I have the same problem. I tried installing wine via the software portal with wine doors and it locked up completely every time I tried to config. or access any wine function. Uninstalled via synaptic and reinstalled just wine via synaptic. Same problem. Complete lock up, even when I right click a .exe and tell it to open with wine. Only way out is to physically reboot.

If anyone has an answer, I'd sure appreciate it as I've found no topics here... yet.

Thanks,
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

donlinux wrote:I have the same problem. I tried installing wine via the software portal with wine doors and it locked up completely every time I tried to config. or access any wine function. Uninstalled via synaptic and reinstalled just wine via synaptic. Same problem. Complete lock up, even when I right click a .exe and tell it to open with wine. Only way out is to physically reboot.

If anyone has an answer, I'd sure appreciate it as I've found no topics here... yet.

Thanks,
I'm sorry that you're having the same problem. I just was once again reminded of it after I'd installed Daryna over Celena on my multi-boot hard drive -- didn't have this problem in Celena, and haven't a clue as to what has been changed. Over the weekend I was looking over my past posts and noted that there had been no replies to my post, so this may have a very low priority in the scheme of things at Mint.
I, too, would appreciate the "experts" having a look at it and coming up with a fix.

Jerry
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's sad that wine and Daryna are not happy together. I might ask Clem about this as I have no clue what so ever (and I don't use wine)
no replies to my post, so this may have a very low priority in the scheme of things at Mint.
This is not how things work here.
I go through the list of unanswered posts and answer the ones I think I can answer with a reasonable amount of work and hope that someone else answers the others. But if I still find it unanswered after some time I try to write an answer.
I also go through my own posts to see if someone has added to them and they are so many that it's close to "hopeless" to keep track of them. Right now I'm looking for a post I promised to answer later, but I don't find it :(
And do remember we are all unpaid volunteers - it'll take a while before Clem can pay me...
Husse

Post by Husse »

I got a kind PM from jerry explaining he did not complain about the forums
Unfortunately I don't see any solution for you and I have only seen you two with the problem. This does not mean there can't be more people experiencing it - for starters I don't see all posts. I used to look through the forum, but it has grown so much that I don't have time for that.
In fact the forum seems to have more than doubled over the last month or so
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

I believe it has to do with onboard graphics and via versus vesa drivers. I found a post on the ubuntu forums, and there are a LOT of people having this problem with ubuntu. Unfortunately, I had to go to work and have not been able to find that post again. The person in question changed back to the vesa driver and wine worked perfectly. My problem is that when I used the vesa driver with my onboard graphics, I was unable to get to a 1280X1024 resolution which I can with Daryna, so I guess I do without my favorite mailwasher pro for a while.

I will search Ubuntu forums at my next earliest convenience and post here.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ donlinux
Don't forget the ctrl + h option in Firefox - i.e. the history
Vesa is just an emergency option so you can get the real thing installed and working
My search for this did not lead me towards something useful and I'm a skilled googler - else I would not be the moderator here :)
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Heres' some ubuntu forum links having same type of problem, but I don't really see any fixes:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... figuration
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=wine+cfg
jerrybee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jerrybee »

donlinux wrote:Heres' some ubuntu forum links having same type of problem, but I don't really see any fixes:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... figuration
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=wine+cfg
Thanks for the links to problems in Ubuntu. The repeating suggestion of uninstall and reinstall doesn't get it done either. Could it be that the latest Ubuntu and the latest Mint use the same kernel, and that's what's causing the problem? Anyway, we're not alone in this one.

Off I go to report a new problem -- screen resolution that changed by itself and can't be changed back.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Here's a possible fix if you're using an ice card. Didn't work for me though as I have onboard graphics/audio.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ne+crashes

Looks like this is a bigger problem than I originally thought and hopefully someone smarter than me can come up with a workaround.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”