Daryna KDE CE BETA 011 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Daryna KDE CE BETA 011 is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The first release candidate for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna KDE Community Edition is out and available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_kde_b11.php

Please test it heavily so we can find and fix as many bugs as possible.

Note: Use this thread to report bugs and to give us feedback.

Clem
zard
Level 1
Level 1

Slowest Download

Post by zard »

Attempting Download of the latest Release may take a couple days. as lintelligence Mirror is a slow 6k and the torrent Tracker is responding ok, but 12 peers, zero seeds. :(
sprint
Level 1
Level 1

Daryna kde

Post by sprint »

Hello
I just installed Daryna KDE beta 11, it looks great good work !!!
small bug when its starts up error message from KDE launcher i believe, but the rest works so far.
I downloaded this from the German ftp server in 10 hours, i will try now to send it up with Bittorrent,If someone can tell me how to change a iso to a torrent please PM me ...
And my server won't go faster than 40 Kbps up so have patience please

again this looks good !!

Sprint
Husse

Post by Husse »

Lets hope gigamike gets the ISO soon
As son as I get the ISO (and am awake) I'll start seeding (max 65 kB/s)
Still about 5 hours to go
For some reason I don't know it has not been mirrored yet
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

known issues: big monitors + nvidia card

Post by Boo »

with reference to my release notes and known issues.

when I installed the beta to my system, which has a 24inch dell monitor and an nvidia 8800GTS video card, I had some video problems with the screen going crazy and locking the video up so a hard reset was required.

So my notes on large screens and envy for nvidia is the same issue and not 2 separate ones. I wrote the notes just to be paranoid and to warn everyone. Others with a similar setup may have no problems.

on further testing on my installed system I have had no problems with envy and installing/uninstalling the nvidia driver with my large screen.

I will do further testing tonight with fresh installs of KDE mint.

Could anyone with a similar setup (large screen and nvidia/ati card) please post their experience in setting up their video.

EDIT: further investigation shows that this may be just to do with the dell 2407wfp monitor.

EDIT 2: I have done more fresh install testing and have had no problems with KDE, envy, nvidia and large monitor with no manual changes.

cheers
Boo
:D
Last edited by Boo on Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
zard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zard »

Update Current Status: Torrent stopped at 10.7% as No further Seeds and German Mirror is choking at 25% with Time Remaining of between 61 and 316 Hours! :cry: :x :evil:
Husse

Post by Husse »

At about 9 pm GMT I added a seed with between 63 and 85 kB/s. I have to "strangle it" to be able to use internet
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Dissapointing download times (torrent or worse direct download). It's the same old news every time a new release (beta or rc or final) is coming out. Please resolve this issue because is one of the most annoying things to handle each time. I'm trying the last 2 days to download the iso (it has come up to 74% completed so far with the torrent client using a 1Mbit DSL line). Help....
bernado

Post by bernado »

35 SEEDERS javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
65 LEECHERS javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

torrent is running with high speed at the moment and the better alternative to direct download - thank you all ......
sprint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprint »

Thanks Florut for the info , i'am gonna do so !
Edit ; it works ! i'm seeding between 9 KB/s and 51 KB/s

i'm glad that i contribute in this way !

Merci bien Florut
au revoir

greetz
Florut wrote:
I downloaded this from the German ftp server in 10 hours, i will try now to send it up with Bittorrent,If someone can tell me how to change a iso to a torrent please PM me ...
You may not have to do this : try to dowload the torrent and start it with your bittorrent client (i.e. utorrent) and let it download a couple of minutes.
Then close your BT client.
Then open the default temporary torrent download directory (see your client prefs), copy the filename of the Daryna KDE iso and delete the file. Then place the working iso copy you dowloaded in the same directory and rename it by pasting the name previously copied.
Then reopen your BT client, the file will be "checked" and then you should leave it seeding at least until you see there is another seeder.

If you can't manage with that you could also upload it on this site :
http://dl.free.fr/ : you only need to push the "parcourir" button then the red "envoyer" one, then the file will be uploading and a link will appear (the first one is the good one). You could publish it here so i could begin to seed the torrent !

Without any seeder the downlad will be awfully long. Thanks for sharing !!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I have tried to turn off the adept-notifier by default and just leave MintUpdate but i have not found a clean way yet.
you can can disable it from appearing/running in its preferences settings. This is a user level change.

I will do some more testing on my laptop tonight to test for wifi problems.

I have not had any problems with ubiquity starting or installing. I could only think it is a bad download or burn though you seem to have checked them. It may require another download :(

qdlaty
Level 1
Level 1

Switching from Gnome to KDE

Post by qdlaty »

Instead downloading whole ISO and reinstalling system what is the best suggested way to switch from Daryna Gnome to KDE?
Husse

Post by Husse »

The problem with the adept notifier has to be solved. Boo can't you remove it completely like with Update manager in Gnome?
I found no Migration assistant (the thing that lets you import an account) This is actually very handy when it works
My install stopped at Installing (?) language packs - 212 hours download time and yet I chose english...
When I clicked Skip I thought for a while that I had canceled the install but it went on with very little showing up on the screen.
This is probably a bug in Ubiqity or a combination of that with the theme used for dialogs...
I have not had the time to run it yet - have to fix mail etc to use it.
Oh - I stopped seeding it during the night - the network cable had disconnected - back now (73kB/s)
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I have installed kde mint to my laptop (dell inspiron 6000) and had no problems.

I setup my wireless networking using knetwork-manager (network pulg icon next to the clock) by right click, connect to other wireless network.
my network card is an intel 2200BG.
i am using WPA2 encryption.

adept is the problem with adept-notifier. adept-notifier is a dependency of adept. if you remove adept you break other KDE tools like language install from kde config.

Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint rsohne
I don't like KDE.....
I'm in Daryna gnome beta 021 now.
In there you go to Appearance in Control Center and the Visual effects tab - this is an extra "Gutsy step"
Husse

Post by Husse »

I think this was the same in the xfce beta.
In Firefox and Thunderbird Profile manager it is not possible to browse your way to your profiles if they are not on the same partition as /home
I have the profiles in a really small partition to be shared with everything on this computer.
And a Gutsy bug - it is no longer possible to browse and then push a button and get the path in writing - and it's a long one....
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

here is a solution to starting compiz.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3505975

I have not tested it yet.
I will look into creating a menu item to do this if it works.

HarcourtD
Level 1
Level 1

KDE version is best I have seen to date

Post by HarcourtD »

Hello, I have tried several Linux distros the last month or so. They have KDE, GNOME or both as default. I downloaded this KDE in less than 3 hours. Burnt and installed within an hour.
The layout is nicest that I have seen. Good work.
It maybe me but my iGoogle page loads in fast! Tried a few product page downloads from suppliers. FAST
The cpu is not taxed with "kacpid", it doesn't even show up in the services, thank goodness. Is that left out on purpose...? Or did I just get lucky?
All other KDE distros had it, could never kill, bury or destroy that crud no matter what. At 60%+ it really was a bummer to have running.
It lists all the hardware by name and model number or series.
Nothing MS has even knows that there is on board or external usb,video,modems,10/100,sound,joystick,cams.....nothing.
Until Intel M/B drivers are loaded in. Then the dummy "sees" new hardware and still needs to be told what,how to do with them. After 30-40 reboots from start to finish, it "may" be updated and finally ready to use.
Your Linux Mint both in GNOME and KDE is ready to view flash,java,dvds' and play mp3 in the hour from start to finish with all the hardware working and system updated.
Wow...!! Good work.
I'll start tinkering with it, most likely will mess things up as I do that well.
Thanks alot for these two nice Linux distros.

Intel D945GCcr w/Dual Core 800 series
1 gig ram
200 gig Seagate IDE
Asus DVD rw
Nvidia 7600GS
Cisco cat5/usb cable modem
Logitech Extreme 3D joystick
two usb cams, Labtec and dunno
Realtek on board sound
Logitech usb mouse
Memorex multi-media key board (not usb)

Loaded in with acpi=off for live prior to install. OS loaded onto hdd with acpi=off. Runs about 2% cpu usage.

ps with MS usb keyboard and mouse (Mint GNOME anyway, dunno yet with Mint KDE) would list it as a choice of gaming hardware. It all worked ok as multi-media keyboard, but the usb joystick wouldn't activate.Fix by restarting with non usb keyboard plugged in and the joystick worked perfectly in games. Maybe MSs' little heehee to me as a Linux convert....
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

laptop volume buttons

Post by flammenwurfer »

First, let me say that it looks great and is definitley going in the right direction.

And, the problem. My laptop volume up/down and mute buttons don't work. They worked perfectly out of the box in Cassandra. I also have media controls that are secondary using the function key that worked in Cassandra no problem also, and now don't work in Daryna.

Oh yes, my laptop is a Lenovo 3000 N100
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Kyashan wrote:
Boo wrote:I have installed kde mint to my laptop (dell inspiron 6000) and had no problems.

I setup my wireless networking using knetwork-manager (network pulg icon next to the clock) by right click, connect to other wireless network.
my network card is an intel 2200BG.
i am using WPA2 encryption.

adept is the problem with adept-notifier. adept-notifier is a dependency of adept. if you remove adept you break other KDE tools like language install from kde config.

Hi boo,
I'm happy for you that you had no problems,but It doesn't mean that this particular problem doesn't exist at all because both me and Florut had it...I post my configuration,maybe some one can understand more from this:

notebook Acer aspire 1694:
GPU Ati x700 mobility Radeon
512 Mb ram
Wireless adapter: Intel 2200 bg (it seems to work fine but when you try to connect it stops at 68 percent of the handshaking and than "impossible to connect" in the same identicalway of Florut....Mh Florut,do we have the same laptop??? :D )

Intel Centrino single core 2.0 Ghz
Same here. I downloaded the iso twice, checked everything (ok) and tried to install KDE Daryna CE using the two different isos (two different dvds). I had the same problem. The installer didn't start and the network manager couldn't connect to wireless network (in all previous versions I had no problem.) I didn't have any problem either with the main edition - gnome daryna, celena, cassandra or ubuntu gutsy gibbon or kubuntu gutsy gibbon. I have a HP Pavilion zt3050ea laptop (Intel 2100 wifi). I definetely can describe it as a bug.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”