Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release candidate of Linux Mint Xfce. Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) Introduction to Linux Mint Xfce Linux Mint Xfce is rolling on top of a Debian Testing package base and uses the same repositories as LMDE. This offers the following advantages to Linux Mint Xfce: A huge performance [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1708
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint Xfce RC (201104) released!

Post by merlwiz79 »

Many bugs are being posted here
lKingjr wrote:a few thoughts on this release...
1. I'm having the same issues as others as far as the right-click in the Mint-X themes. Works fine with other themes.
2. I can't get the cursor to change to black. It only shows over FF.
3. VLC has all sorts of issues and ends up locking up the guest, I've tried several different audio&video settings. gnome-mplayer works.
4. I wish a newer version of lxappearance was included, say 0.5+.
5. The wallpapers not "sticking" in the desktop preferences is sort of annoying.

I have xfce installed along with gnome in my LMDE install and have not run into all the same issues. strange.
1. gtk-menu-popup-delay = 1 causes this.( I always remove it)
2. Probably needs to logout?
5. The wallapers can't be in folders. All must be in /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops without any other folders.

MintUpdate has "Fix Broken Packages First" error message.
Missing mintdesktop-xfce xfce4-clipman mintconfig-xfce.
Should probably be using xfce power manager instead of gnome power manager.
Menus only have icons and buttons are missing icons.(always have these set in the Ubuntu based Edition.)
OOo is replaced with LibO when updating.
No places plugin on the panel.
Some applications are Gnome apps instead of the Xfce ones.(gedit, gnome-system-monitor, etc)
Missing Move to trash and Delete options i have added to thunar in Linux Mint Xfce.
Removable Drives and Media not set correctly.
Probably missing more customizations but haven't look at it much.

I'm not a fan of the Debian versions since it is harder to setup on computers than Ubuntu.
Tons of problems with sound and video not being detected even though they are in Ubuntu.
I know Linux Mint 7 set them correctly without having to do anything.
Why can't Debian?
It's harder to get languages installed after the initial installation.
No Hardware Drivers application like Ubuntu.
coman norbert

Post by coman norbert »

This debian edition is not working for me... i prefer the ubuntu based editions for hardware recognition, easy driver install, compiz work out of the box în merlwiz79 Ubuntu based Mint Xfce editions.
@merlwiz79
all the best for you! Thanks for beautiful Xfce editions.

LMDE and LMDE Xfce is not enough good for me.
Hezy

Post by Hezy »

merlwiz79 wrote:Location: Here again :)
Welcome back. We all wish you well.

Merlwiz, I guess that in LMDE Xfce Clem is trying to use Xfce as a viable alternative to Gnome, just in case Gnome 3 leaves Mint without it's main desktop environment. This explains the application choice (gedit and grome terminal, f-spot and rhythmbox, etc.). It is a little disappointing for the Xfce fans who like light and fast apps, but still an interesting experiment. The bugs are not surprising considering that Clem is new to the insides of Xfce, but most of them are easy to fix. I'm staying with Mint Xfce 9 for now, but I'll keep an eye on LMDE Xfce to see how it develops.
edwardr

Post by edwardr »

I too am staying with Mint 9 Xfce. Although Mint Xfce Debian RC worked a lot better on my machine than when I tried the original Mint LMDE, I'm not about to put in the effort getting Xfce Debian working (no wireless for one) when I have an LTS version working like a dream. A system that works and doesn't break is very important to me. I will be more tempted when Jockey and Xfce 4.8 are brought over to Xfce Debian (I like the ease of automounting local drives and viewing network drives in the new Thunar). I am very leery of rolling releases (i.e. rolling breakages) after the fiasco I had attempting to use the original LMDE on my laptop (I spent hours getting wireless, sound, etc. working then updates would break things, until in frustration I removed LMDE).

I will be watching the development of Mint Xfce with great interest, but Merlwiz did such a good job with Mint 9 Xfce that it will take a lot to get me to switch.

Great to see you on the board Merlwiz, I hope things are going well.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Finally the great Merlwiz79! People will definitely compare LMDE xfce with your work on Mint 9 XFCE!

@Merlwiz: what are your thoughts on the LMDE XFCE? We would like to hear your opinion on it. You already mentioned that it is harder to write to debian..
M_Mynaardt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_Mynaardt »

Oh boy!

A new version of Linux Mint Xfce!! :D

I haven't had a chance to install an play with it just yet. However, I did make a live USB of it using UNebootin and I was surprised at just how fast it started up from my flash drive! I hope it's some kind of fast on a hard drive if it's that fast on a flash drive!
~*~ M_Mynaardt ~*~

Linux Mint is your computer's friend.
Always trust Linux Mint.
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Merlwiz79.

Welcome back! It is great to see you again, and I hope that your problems are being sorted.

I have tried the new Debian based XFCE and don't like it. I much prefer your Gnome based versions, so I am definitely staying with Mint9 XFCE.

Cheers.

Keith
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Ok found a lot of gnome stuff installed that shouldn't be.
The screensaver isn't starting cause of gnome settings being installed.
Also the default session is wrong.
Also the mixer panel plugin should launch xfce4-mixer.
The problem with my sound was because I didn't use xfce4-mixer(Mixer) to set it up.

I think I'll try to fix all of these problems and make a new ISO later.
Most of these are just settings and application conflicts.
Some mint packages needs fixed or installed to solve some of the problems.
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

@merlwiz79: would the changes mean a reduced size of the ISO... I'd be very grateful if it would reach 900mb :lol: also do we have to re-install using the your new iso, if it is released, to fix these problems?
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by deep64blue »

I love the idea of using Debian for the non-mainstream editions, yes it's a bit more work but well worth it IMO.
Isthmus

Post by Isthmus »

First I have to say a HUGE thanks to the mint team for moving Xfce to debian and for taking a more proactive approach to modernizing it (adding a working mint menu to Xfce is something I have wanted forever). Barvo!

Thanks to merlwiz for all he has done before and for continuing to help turn the Xfce version of mint into a spectacular product.

Now for a few questions:

- What version of Xfce is being used in this rc? Is it Xfce 4.8? If not are there plans to upgrade this to 4.8?

- what is the planned rolling upgrade frequency, Monthly?

- are there plans to add some of the ubuntu features such as automatic hardware recognition, full codecs, ect?

- will publicly available hardware drivers from companies be used, or will linux drivers be the only alternatives?

- Will compiz be preinstalled and available like it is in the current main edition?

Overall great effort guys and thanks again for all you do.
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I like XFCE because most desktop settings are done in the Menu , rather than poking around with your cursor on the desktop itself.
If I set up a second User account , this person is very unlikely to destroy the desktop settings.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/L ... w=7f7fca69
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Isthmus wrote:Now for a few questions:

- What version of Xfce is being used in this rc? Is it Xfce 4.8? If not are there plans to upgrade this to 4.8?
- are there plans to add some of the ubuntu features such as automatic hardware recognition, full codecs, ect?
- will publicly available hardware drivers from companies be used, or will linux drivers be the only alternatives?
- Will compiz be preinstalled and available like it is in the current main edition?
Allow me to share some of the info that I have gather from the forum
1. xfce RC is using XFCE 4.6.2, I think it maybe upgraded to 4.8 as it is a rolling distro

2. clem made a post in the mint forums about taking 'snapshots' of updates a.k.a. respin as to the frequency? he made no mention of it

3. Jockey-gtk (responsible for hardware detection) is not installed due to some conflicts.

4. Compiz is not pre-installed on lmde xfce (I wish we could just call it LMDX) due to the hardware drivers not installed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The rolling update frequency is Debian's: each 2 years a complete new version, updates are just coming when they're ready or proven stable.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
pedrosonic

Post by pedrosonic »

Comparing the memory consumption in the 32-bit live sessions of Linux Mint Xfce and Linux Mint 9 Xfce:
Linux Mint Xfce RC: 107 MB RAM Vs Mint 9 Xfce: 153 MB RAM
That's a big improvement.
Now, do you think Mint XFCE RC consumes less RAM than Mint 10 LXDE?
In other words, does the debian-based XFCE consumes less RAM than the Ubuntu-based LXDE?
I don't know wich one to install in an old computer (Duron 900 Mhz, 750 MB RAM)
Thanks in advance for the replies.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

With 750 MB RAM you don't have to worry about this little difference in RAM usage. And you can always give your computer some extra RAM.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Zarggg

Post by Zarggg »

Just a couple things I noticed while test-driving the RC in VirtualBox:

#1: When installing, I had to set up all the partitions manually. When I installed Linux Mint 9 Xfce on my laptop (an old Gateway with 512MB RAM), I believe that this was done for me by the installer.
#2: I am not able to install VirtualBox Guest Additions. Running autorun.sh and VBoxLinuxAdditions.run both do nothing. (not a game-changer, but helpful for testing)

Hopefully these will be addressed in the final release. Until then, I don't feel comfortable updating my laptop, which I use just about every day at uni.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Once I got everything running correctly it was using about 130MBs(32bit CPU) on cold boot.
Not really a change from Linux Mint 9 to me.
Isthmus

Post by Isthmus »

aljoriz wrote:
Isthmus wrote:Now for a few questions:

Allow me to share some of the info that I have gather from the forum
1. xfce RC is using XFCE 4.6.2, I think it maybe upgraded to 4.8 as it is a rolling distro

2. clem made a post in the mint forums about taking 'snapshots' of updates a.k.a. respin as to the frequency? he made no mention of it

3. Jockey-gtk (responsible for hardware detection) is not installed due to some conflicts.

4. Compiz is not pre-installed on lmde xfce (I wish we could just call it LMDX) due to the hardware drivers not installed.
Thanks for the info. So are you saying that LMDX will have no automatic hardware detection? Or are you saying that as of the initial release it won't have it while the problems are worked out?

The way it is looking this might be a fun distro to test while the major bugs get worked out of it. I have a nagging feeling that once that happens. LMDX will be a force to be reckoned with, especially on older hardware.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”