Linux Mint Xfce (201104) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
VtPoet
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint Xfce (201104) released!

Post by VtPoet »

//They don't have a timeline...//

I know... hence, my speculation. I may compile and install myself.
syncdram

Post by syncdram »

Hey All! Welt i made the switch from ubuntu to LinuxMint Xfce Debian (full) time. This is a wonderfull release and fast. Install went like butter, and everything thing i have is working just fine! As they say " Silly Rabbit Unity is for Kids! " Unity is not a desktop app, they have fallen and the erra of main stream ubuntu has ended. I am just a twinkling of the mass exodus that is taking place. I ran ubuntu beta 2 for 2 weeks, and the lay out is just rediculious, takes forever to try to do anything and its just plain sssllllooowwww....... Using the system has put a leash around your neck and your stuck were your at, what you see is what you get and can do. Xfce is fully customizable, fast! and gives the end user comfort and the ability to enjoy the Linux experiance.

With that said, Thank You LinuxMint and to All Involed.
nanachitang420

Post by nanachitang420 »

I dont know how to post. so started reply
having compaq 615. xp installed first and win 7 later so now working with vista bootloader as dual boot.
Hard disk is having 4 partitions out of two are for xp and win 7 and two are data storage
remaining 3 partitions(total 7 on same hard disk) used for installing Linux Julia-- 1 gb for swap, 2 gb for /home and 15 gb for julia
after installation unable to boot to julia via vista bootloader even I am using Easy BCD 2.1 beta.
Please help
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You cannot dual-boot Windows and Linux when loading Linux through BCD. You need to use the Grub bootloader for this, which comes with Mint. (You did the manual partitioning? Make sure you installed the bootloader on /dev/sda).
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
casey972oo

Post by casey972oo »

Hi There ! ...

all I can say is ! ... Microsoft Corporation don't like it at all ! ... those ' dual-boot-installations ' ! ...
that's why you can't boot your ' Linux-Partition ' with this ' Vista-Boot-Loader ' ! ... is just for ' ntfs ' ! ...
not for ' ext4 ' ! ... you can't read this ' Linux-Partition ' with ' ntfs ' ! ... but you can read/write ' ntfs ' with ' ext4 ' ! ...
so this is your problem ! ... just install ' Windows ' first ! ... and then LINUX ! ... with ' Grub-Boot-Loader ' ! ...
this will work ! ... (as long as Microsoft Corporation let you) ! ...

good luck ! ...

casey972oo

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You cannot read NTFS with Ext4, no, you can read NTFS with Linux which supports both filesystems. BCD + Ext4 does not work, BCD is a Microsoft thing so made for NTFS and maybe also FAT.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

SabreWolfy wrote:@vrkalak: So Debian Wheezy may have XFCE 4.10 or whatever and there may never be a Debian (Stable) with XFCE 4.8 for example?
Sounds about right. :)

Since, Debian Squeeze was just released as 'stable' a couple months ago ... and Wheezy should be released as 'stable' in the Spring of 2013.
It's conceivable that Wheezy would have Xfce-4.10 as default.

Since, work is already well-under way for the next stable desktop version of Xfce-4.10 and should be released by mid-2012.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”