Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by Pierre »

In less than a week:-

there is a Huge amount of references < on the 'net > to "Linux Mint 11" :o

that's seriously amazing :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
chris_kay

Post by chris_kay »

Linux Mint 11 is awesome, I really like it but there are 3 things you should definitly change for the final:

1. Put the "Show Desktop" Button in the bottom panel to the right like it's in Windows. It's faster to point the cursor to a corner.
2. Make GDebi the default program for opening deb files: If I download a deb file in my browser and just choose "Open" instead of "Save as" I of course want to install it and don't want so see what's in it (like it is now because the archive manager is the default program).
3. Disable Window Decorations for Firefox and Opera (not Chrome!). So the useless title bar above the tabs won't appear anymore.

Thanks.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

Mint 10 is the closest to a perfect operating system that I have ever had. Since my opinion is so high about 10, Mint 11 has a big task to measure up. I have had some problems with 11 that I never had with 10. I can't get some of the Gnome options to work. When I use Compiz, the way the windows work get all screwed up. I had to figure how to get the bar across the top of them, the side bar, and how to get a window to move again when I used Compiz.

I installed 11 on a new drive and left my Windows XP/ Mint 10 system dual boot system alone.

I like the fact that the apps are updated. But 11 freezes up occasionally too. This never happens with 10. I want to upgrade to 11, but I think I'll wait for a little while.

:?
Bodylang

Post by Bodylang »

I like it from the 1st seen, Its my first experience with Mint releases, though i believe it have some problems with compiz layout manager just like ubuntu 11.4
john123

Post by john123 »

I like Linux Mint 11 it work's perfectly but once i stop using it and close my laptop and come back latter it is toldly frozen. Only the mouse moves this never happened with Linux Mint 10 and i hope they fix it.
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

Still haven't fixed the Alps P/S 2 Alps Dual Point Touchpad issue.......being unable to use the L&R buttons to grab the border of the window & using the pad with finger to resize the window. It would seem that after LM9, they forgot about that in the programming or kernel.....I'll keep bringing this up till it gets fixed....it seems as though no one is listening very well. This is the only one issue I have with the newer versions put out, and it not just with Mint, it's Ubuntu and Kubuntu as well.....yes, I know, those are different OS's and different forums, still no one listens.
funky_uncle

Post by funky_uncle »

Cactusface wrote:And sorry but I don't like the blank screen at boot time, a bit like the Mac your never sure what if anything is happening, and something happening might be nothing!!!! You could be just hanging there.
I agree.

I can't see a good reason to not have a splash screen or any idication that the system is actually booting. Weird idea. I was just about to burn a new copy of the live DVD because the one I was using didn't appear to do anything at all.

But I assume it'll be possible to change that manually.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Due to a bug in Nouveau, I get a very distorted screen during boot as long as Plymouth is not yet active. And as Plymouth loads much later, I have to look at that ugly screen for 10 seconds instead of the fraction of a second that it used to be.

With NVidia proprietary it works fine, but this is still no reason for me to drop Nouveau.
Last edited by AlbertP on Mon May 16, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
john123

Post by john123 »

I have went back to Linux Mint 10 for now because every time i use Linux Mint 11 it freezes right down to the clock on the top panel nothing works except the mouse i sure hope they fix this. Linux Mint 10 runs great so far this rc release is disappointing.
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

I sure hope someone from the development team is reading these complains. :D
karashata

Post by karashata »

There's a (possibly unofficial) bug reports thread here for people who are having issues. I'm not sure if any of the devs or anyone are really looking into it seriously as there is also an official bug report page on launchpad here.

I would recommend filing any bugs on the launchpad site since they're more likely to be looked at and addressed there, but mentioning them on the forum thread might not hurt either.
newlinuxman5000

Post by newlinuxman5000 »

Wonderful job, Just replace mint 10 with RC 11 very nice.....for my no problems and the 64 bit
runs like a top. Thank you Mint team.....well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Exx

Post by Exx »

11 is still too rough around the edges for me... I'm sticking with 9 until some issues get worked out.
andymuqsith

Post by andymuqsith »

How To Upgrade linux mint 10 ( julia ) to linux mint 11 (katya)? please tell me about that!
:o
e-mail : andy.muqsith@yahoo.com
ESM

Post by ESM »

I now also have 11 on my PC and the problems with Compiz. It just needs to be shut down for the windows to work correct. That cannot be the correct thing, right?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please open a seperate thread, and tell us which graphics card you are using (and which driver, in case you installed one). If you don't know your graphics card, look it up using this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -G
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

sorry guys, this release just didnt do it for me considering whats available (like GS / gnome 3 and even unity is cool) :lol: and unfortunately i turfed it after a day of use and went back to mint 10 - kde10 and unity

is there any chance in the future releases to change to a more lively theme as the recent themes look to out dated (too grey and light)... its like mint is regressing back to windows 98 / windows 2000 or xp with out a theme look.... :roll: i dont know where we are heading with this new theme but it looks so too dull and lifeless imho - but this is my opinion.

i know use power users can easily change these desktop settings, but to a new user it looks :oops:

also, its minor, but, the damn start menu LOGO...it just dosnt go with mint at all...what is it meant to be? the good old mintMenu logo is what i change to after a fresh install.

perhaps i could suggest the Orta theme with mint dark x icons.....

over all, great work guys, lets hope mint 12 is alot more lively in looks and 11.04 / 11.10 becomes alot more stable and hopefully a patch comes out soon for the 2.6.38xx kernel as this kernel that present in 11.04 (mint11 also) runs my laptop SO SO SO hot - im currently using the old original 2.6.35-22 kernel and man, laptop is running very cool and fan is hardly ever on.....
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I have to say that I am very impressed. Just installed on my old laptop (512MB RAM, 1.6GHz CPU) and it's not any slower than 10th as car as I can tell. The only thing I can't get running yet is GYache, but that's no surprise. Happy to see LibreOffice as well. I like the look of the desktop as I prefer minimalist, but that's just preference. All in all - impressed, well done Clem and team.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Follow-up. I'm sure that I never had to do this on previous versions of Mint (9, 10, Main, KDE, LXDE, XFCE etc). Mint doesn't seem to auto-connect to pre-configured wireless networks at logon any more. I know that I can make it do so by editing the settings for each of the wireless entries, but I am certain that previous versions assumed "Automatically connect at logon", which made far more sense to me.

EDIT:
Can't get BURG to install at the moment either. Same issue as GYache - presumably just down to the repositories not having updated their paths yet.

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bean123ch/burg ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bean123ch/burg ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

EDIT:
For both this and the previous post - needed to change repository information to 'maverick' for BURG and to 'natty' for Gyache. No great problem, but I would certainly expect the system to default the path to 'natty', rather than 'katya'.
Last edited by SimonTS on Tue May 17, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Mint 11 first failed to connect to my wireless, but that was because the WPA key was wrong... I thought I knew the code by heart but got 1 digit wrong. After entering the correct code, it connected, but after a reboot I had to click the network to reconnect. Then I went into the network's settings and enabled automatic connecting. After that I haven't had any problem with wireless.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”