Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
GaryP

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by GaryP »

Roku wrote:Hey, Ive got a question. I have Mint 10 right now and I want to install 11, but how?
I mean, how can I install the system without loosing everything I have? I just want to upgrade, not install everything from the beginning.

And the second question. If I install 11 RC, then at the end of the month, when Mint 11 will be fully released, I can just upgrade 11 RC to 11 without loosing everything again?

And sorry for my english :)
I just installed Mint 11 over Ubuntu 10.4 and was really surprised that it kept -all- of my documents, pictures, and programs that I had added to Ubuntu. And it was -so- Easy to install. It even picked up the partition on my external 2 TB drive that I wanted to use for backing Linux. The other partition is used for backing up Win 7. It did not however pick up all three of my printers, only the Brother laser printer. Once I get Upgrade manager and Synaptic working I am sure I will really like Mint. Best of luck with it. Gary
jinda

Post by jinda »

Installed 11 to my 8 gb thumb, flash, and or jumb drive.
The installer said that the size of the partitions was to small.
I then hit the back button but the quit or exit wasn't there or I
just did some thing wrong. I don't know why the partition size was wrong.
Then I started over and I think I
got everything I think correct. The installer said that it could copy over window$
sutff like wallpaper and outlook settings. I couldn't find any of it,
that doesn't mean it didn't work.
It asked to load my video card gforce gtx 260 didn't like that all.
I just boots to bash. I think the grub is not correct. But that just and idea.
The tv card I have, I think is killing the video card or the other way around.
So far same as mint 10 and I still have no idea what I doing.
szacsvdm

Post by szacsvdm »

I think now is the right time, for Linux Mint. Lot's of people aren't really impresed by GNOME3 or Unity. Good choice to stick with GNOME2 instead. At least until GNOME3 gets polished enough.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

Having blown up my old laptop yesterday, I bought a nice shiny new one - full 64 bit etc. Downloaded and burned the 64 bit version of 11RC. Can't get it to install. I've opened a thread on the board, but was wondering if they was a general problem as I seem to have seen quite a lot of issues with anything based on Ubuntu 11.04.
tru23

Post by tru23 »

Just don't rush I beg you. Ubuntu Natty came with so much irritating bugs and problems (apart from the whole Unity stuff), it's gave a lot of headaches. I hope Mint won't make that mistake, since you're free from schedule.
Cactusface

Post by Cactusface »

Hi Clem,
Just installed Adobe Reader 9,.... in Mint11, It hangs every time on the first page! So I hope that's going to be another fix, but in general I like it, not too keen on the blank start/boot screen.
Regards
Mel.
Cactusface

Post by Cactusface »

Hi,
Just installed Adobe Reader 9,.... in Mint11, It hangs every time on the first page! So I hope that's going to be another fix, but in general I like it, not too keen on the blank start/boot screen, also Gnome commander bombs out when ask to connect to FTP, works fine in 10.
Still looking forward to the full version..
Regards
Mel.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

szacsvdm wrote:I think now is the right time, for Linux Mint. Lot's of people aren't really impressed by GNOME3 or Unity. Good choice to stick with GNOME2 instead. At least until GNOME3 gets polished enough.
unity and gnome 3 in my experience has been awesome and feels the part of a modern desktop for today.

everytime i go back to mint 11 or mint 10, even kde 10, they all seem a little too out dated.

in my eyes and understanding, the idea and concept behind unity / gnome 3 is rather a clever marketing move as to attract new linux users from windows.

unity and GN3 is so much more human logic designed (like the iPad1 & iPad2). everything on ipad runs so smooth and is so human easy to use.in my opinion, thats what linux is heading towards. linux is starting to head towards more to mobility design and i feel that notebooks / desktop pc are becoming a past.

tablets and smart phones are the future. desktops and laptops will be for power users and majority of global technology users are going to be using the tablet / smart phone for basic things to get things down easily and efficiently i.e emails, photos, internet, music, movies and audio/video calls
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can install Unity from Software Manager on Mint 11, and there's a Gnome 3 PPA which also contains the Shell. You can also download the (buggy) shell for Gnome 2 from the Software Manager, if the PPA is not installed.

Note that Mint 11 contains a PPA bug at the moment.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
alladin

Post by alladin »

linux ear if I wanted a computer for my list, any version of Linux is the latest version and it has the most prominent features is a home business because I wanted to be heavily subsidized ticket management software document The safest and most effective
ESM

Post by ESM »

I have no idea why the Mint team decided to make the Pidgin icon the way it is now in Mint 11. It shows nothing, it's like a comic blur without text now. Can we please have a better one in which we see what the program is doing?! teh old one was perfect by the way. The icon from Felicia, so to say.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The bug with Pidgin has been fixed with an update yesterday. Please install all updates before complaining about Piding any more.

If you want to see a clearer notice when someone sends you a message, you can right-click the icon and set it to flash.
ESM

Post by ESM »

I have already updated, like I do each day.... And all i see now is a small like I said strip comic kind of blur..mostly gray or white. Is that the new updated Pidgin icon?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The not-updated one is purple, and it's said that you can change it somewhere in Pidgin, but I've not yet found out how to do this.
ESM

Post by ESM »

So I guess you are looking at that grey messy thing too? Not all is a better thing.
2Stoned

Post by 2Stoned »

Installed it a few hours ago and i like it. Some improvents visually as well when it comes to useability and stability. I would recommend this, way better then Natty! I did not have any bugs yet.. hope it stays like this :D

Tnx Mint team!
dichthuatbbc

Post by dichthuatbbc »

I have no idea why the Mint team decided to make the Pidgin icon the way it is now in Mint 11. It shows nothing, it's like a comic blur without text now. Can we please have a better one in which we see what the program is doing?! teh old one was perfect by the way. The icon from Felicia, so to say.
------------
dich thuat
joaor10

Post by joaor10 »

Hello! I'm a biig fan of Mint.

Recently I bought an EeePC 1215B with the AMD Fusion, and installed Ubuntu 11.04 to see if it works. Everything worked except suspend and hibernation.
When Mint reaches the final version, I'll try it, however, if you have the oportunity to fix this issue it would be great.

Thx
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Install Bug Partition

Post by marcus0263 »

Katya in a VM and cannot define any customer partioins

Major Bug and after googling found that Ubuntu in their infinite wisdom removed this option. Need to have this back, it's not a feature it's a bug.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It is said that you can still copy/paste custom mount points into the installer. I haven't tried this.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”