Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 “Katya” RC. Linux Mint 11 “Katya” RC New features at a glance: Multimedia codecs and extra applications The Software Manager The Update Manager The Desktop Settings tool Artwork improvements System improvements Software selection For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1752
Fandangio

Re: Linux Mint 11 "Katya" RC released!

Post by Fandangio »

Thanks Clem, your attempt to make the best Gnome 2.x desktop ever has been completely realised.
Linux Mint 11 is absolutely awesome :)
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

Thanks for the great RC Clem & team devs. I love it... can't wait until it's finalized!
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)
ldconfig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ldconfig »

Thank you very much. Works great in live mode on my laptop. My wifes laptop not so much core i3 with on chip video. Just black screen on boot even setting the xdriver to vesa and nomodeselect did not help.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If it has on chip video, it should work from Mint 11 on. The 2.6.39 kernel may work better on that laptop if the 2.6.38 fails, you might be able to use another computer to install Mint and the 2.6.39 kernel to that harddisk and place it back into the laptop. Note that you need to compile the kernel as the final release of 2.6.39 hasn't come yet.

Nomodeset is useless on some on-chip video from Intel, it may make things even worse.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ldconfig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ldconfig »

Thank you but I have to wait until the great guys at Mint get it fixed.. I have not compiled a kernel since the 90's and after a mild stroke in 09 I dare not even try now. Again thank you for the info :)
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Shiney! Does this version allow for full disk encryption, rather than just /home?
rumpel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rumpel »

Noodles wrote:Shiney! Does this version allow for full disk encryption, rather than just /home?
You can already do this with LM 10 and previous: http://readm3.org/os/ubuntu/full-disk-e ... n-lvm-luks
Noodles

Post by Noodles »

Indeed you can. But it isn't part of the default installation, like say fedora or the alternate release of ubuntu.
/Zoran\

Post by /Zoran\ »

Will the known problems that are present in the RC be fixed by the final release?
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Sorry, didn't see a thread for bugs/suggestions, however I have one. I think that the settings in Compiz, namely the Grid and Resize Window colors should be a Mint green instead of the Ubuntu orange. Wish I could post images, so I will link them. I already changed the colors so you get the idea.

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/screenshotuik.png/
http://img402.imageshack.us/i/screenshot1gt.png/

Thanks
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Seems to me there should be an official Linux Mint 11 RC bug report thread somewhere? Something that always seems to be lacking when the RC of a new release comes out. It's not always appropriate to be bantering about possible bugs that might not even exist on a bug report. Is there and official thread somewhere on the forum. The only one I found was in "Non-technical questions" which probably not the right place for it.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

Downloaded, burned, installed. No problems at all and drivers for my new GT430 video board were offered right off the bat. Seems to be pretty smooth although subjectively it seems slightly sluggish compared to Mint 9. Updates were rather slow. All in all it looks pretty good but it still doesn't play my .mts video files from a Canon Camcorder any better than earlier Mint and Ubuntu versions - still jerky.

Jerry
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

Mint 11 has Graphics display problems with ATI Mobility HD 3600 video card.
Display is very choppy, and/or have diagonal cutoff of image over entire field.

Machine presently runs Mint 9 dvd 32 bit and/or Mint 10 dvd 32 bit without these issues.
P4 3.0 HT processor/ 2 GB RAM/ 160GB hdd/ ATI HD 3600
Roku

Post by Roku »

Hey, Ive got a question. I have Mint 10 right now and I want to install 11, but how?
I mean, how can I install the system without loosing everything I have? I just want to upgrade, not install everything from the beginning.

And the second question. If I install 11 RC, then at the end of the month, when Mint 11 will be fully released, I can just upgrade 11 RC to 11 without loosing everything again?

And sorry for my english :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you install all updates offered to you, your system is automatically converted into a 'final' Mint 11.
Roku

Post by Roku »

Oh, ok. Thank you :)
And how about Mint 10 to Mint 11 RC?
sminterz

Post by sminterz »

hi! i'm using mint11 RC and i'm loving it :) i think this is the best gnome experience ever :D

still, i found some "bugs":

- orange in the grid
- pidgin shuts down when sending a file (when it ends) (don't know if it's mint fault :P).
- the color of the indicator applet is a litle darker then the color of the panel (don't know if it's intentional :P)

ah! i think it could be nice to give the option to associate a edge binding to the mint menu (in the corner where it's placed), to work like the applications in gnome3 (i'm using mintmenu this way and it's fun :]).
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I have also had that Pidgin problem in Mint 10, but after some time it suddenly worked OK. I am too busy atm to put Mint 11 on a USB stick (or CD/DVD), will do that as soon as possible (I have already downloaded it).
thouartsimple
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thouartsimple »

With Mint 11 Katya, almost anytime I left or right click almost anywhere (gnome-panel, awn, nautilus) the screen flickers and the display messes up for a few seconds then goes back to normal... and I have to right click again and hope it doesn't do it. LOL most annoying bug! =) I am using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers.
-Nick

Laptop: PCLinuxOS KDE (Toshiba Satellite A305D)
Desktop: LM11 Katya Gnome, LM10 Julia KDE, PCLinuxOS KDE, LM10 Julia LXDE, Bodhi Linux (All 32-bit, custom built PC)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”