Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Terrel Shumway

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by Terrel Shumway »

mirecek1965 wrote:Now i have another problem. Yesterday all OK, today i get strange main menu:

How i correct this please?
Wow! A traceback in menu. How cool. I want one too! <g>

Seriously, did it go away when you restarted? I'm shooting blindly, but it looks like your D-Bus crashed.
ho0ver

Post by ho0ver »

I tried a "dist-upgrade" from the shell last night and it more or less broke the system on an asus eeepc 1005 hd. The window manager died and kept respawning, some errors about gdk-pixbuf not being found. I'll try the regular update manager process next and report back in case it breaks.

Thanks for the tip about the pae kernel, would it make sense to use it on this atom cpu which only does ht I believe?

cheers, Uwe
ho0ver

Post by ho0ver »

Ok, this time nothing broke, but I'm getting the following error:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad_0.10.22-3_i386.deb: Versuch, »/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstxvid.so« zu überschreiben, welches auch in Paket gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-bad 0.10.22-0.1 ist

any ideas?
Uwe
ho0ver

Post by ho0ver »

seems like the package in question has been fixed in the meantime, apt-get upgrade worked now.

cheers uwe
w6kkt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w6kkt »

It is doing "Mint" dis-service by using it's name in front of 201109 Debian destro. Over years, Mint has earned a glowing reputation, as a ready to use-out of the box, user-friendly operating system. Using the "Mint"
logo to promote your Debian derivative is mis-leading.

Respectfully
Intel Pentium G3220
Asrock H81M-ITX mb
8gb PC3 ram
1x samsung 128gb ssd
Samsung dvd burner
Silverstone SG05 ITX case
Jesse (w6kkt)
tacit

Post by tacit »

w6kkt: I doubt Mint has earned its glowing reputation by sitting idle these past couple years. Consider LMDE another step toward greatness.

Sure it has rough edges now, but will likely be faster and more stable than any Ubuntu derivative could hope to be.

Ubuntu 11.10 runs dog-slow in comparison.
w6kkt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w6kkt »

Tacit: What was your method for speed comparison figures between Ubuntu 11 & LMDE? I expressed my opinion concerning the naming of LMDE. "Mint" is a derivative of Ubuntu,and known world-wide to be the most user-friendly Linux OS, which LMDE is not TODAY.

Respectfully
Intel Pentium G3220
Asrock H81M-ITX mb
8gb PC3 ram
1x samsung 128gb ssd
Samsung dvd burner
Silverstone SG05 ITX case
Jesse (w6kkt)
jackmetal

Post by jackmetal »

Thanks for the LMDE..... I definitely love it. MUCH better than Ubuntu was. Even my wife is loving it compared to Ubuntu on her laptop. :-)

I've been running since it was first released on one of my laptops and now have it on a number of my media servers and other systems, and I've even replaced one of my ArchLinux builds with it. ;-) Excellent OS and I definitely like it as a rolling release based off debian instead of Ubuntu (I've noticed a speed increase and my wife has also)!!! Thanks!!!!
Deer Hunter

Post by Deer Hunter »

w6kkt wrote:"Mint" is a derivative of Ubuntu
"Linux Mint" may have began life that way, but not all Mint is based off Ubuntu. There are two different paths to Mint.

1st is: Debian-->Ubuntu-->Mint

2nd is: Debian-->Mint Debian

Starting with the release of Ubuntu 10.10, Mint's Xfce edition switched from being based on Ubuntu, to being based on Debian. On the presentation page for Mint Debian, it says that they're planning to do KDE and Fluxbox releases of Mint Debian in the future as well. And, LXDE is the only non-Gnome edition of Linux Mint 11, that I can see to download.

Give it time. We've seen what a great job Mint has already proven they're capable of doing, and now that they've "eliminated the middleman," so to speak, I'm sure Mint Debian will end up being even better in a little while.

Davis
TuxSax

Post by TuxSax »

I'd love to get a suggestion about installation of LMDE.
I really like Gnome but I don't really like what's going on with Gnome 3 and that weird shell, but I believe Gnome 2 days are counted, so what is LMDE future regarding this?
Also Xfce is an option but I don't really know it and I don't know how wide its support is, I'm talking about little issues, such as Dropbox integration, or internet sharing and the like, things I do quite easily nowadays and can't live without.
I've been using Ubuntu for a while, now I have a not so strong PC, a bit old, and I find Ubuntu and Unity not so appealing and very heavy on my PC, so I want to move to Mint, and I think the LMDE would be the best, also because the more immediate connection to Debian without the "mediator" and also I like the fact it's a rolling distro, that means I don't want to re-install my system from now on, for a long time, but if the future of Gnome 2 is limited, where will LMDE go then?
Also, my PC has dual core and supports 64bit, but having it only 2 Gb RAM, is it really necessary to install 64bit? Are there any benefits besides the above 2G RAM support when needed, on 64bit?
I need your recommendations regarding these.
Thanks!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

To answer your last question first, I don't really know of a benefit to running 64-bit software on a system with less than 4GB of RAM.

As far as LMDE Gnome, the future is set. It is already transitioning into Gnome 3 and will continue to do so until your only choice is to use either Gnome Shell or Fallback Mode (if that remains available). To avoid that will require using either LMDE KDE, Xfce or Fluxbox.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

If you use 32bit you will need to upgrade your kernel to a pae 686 kernel to make use of your dual core. With a 64bit there will be no need to do that.[you can use you package manager it install the pae kernel]

I'm running an Atom CPU with Hyperthread and only 1 core with 2gb of RAM using 64bit LMDE, I use the zram mod' to compress the ram in a "ram swapfile" before it goes to the swapfile partition. with my swappiness set at 1 and still rarely use the swap file even running Paint Shop Pro 9 in WINE or GIMP. (RAM swap up to 2gb, 2gb swap partition, total 4gb swapfile)

If you use Gnome, the Gnome shell is coming, it's already in SID, from what I here probably in a month it will be in Debian testing, from there......

If your using an older computer I would suggest Xfce, I would be using it in my NetBook if I had not gotten used to Gnome, and maybe going there, just waiting to see how the Gnome shell pans out on my SID partition.

EDIT: BTW if I remember DropBox is already in Xfce.
TuxSax

Post by TuxSax »

Thanks for your quick answers!
If the future is set and the transition to gnome 3 is happening, being this one a rolling version, it means one day I'll run an update and gnome shell will be there, replacing gnome 2?

I don't have problem adapting, as Gnome Shell has some nice things in plan, it's still a bit unpolished and buggy, but I believe it will get better, the question is if the transition will be automagically made by the rolling LMDE updates.

On the other hand XFCE and LXDE seem to be nice and lightweight, but the few times that I tried them they seem a bit incomplete and lacking a lot of features integration wise.

The most important thing is I can share my internet from this linux box to other computers, I believe this can be done, at least via command line.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Yes, sooner or later you will update and boot to Gnome 3 if you stay with the Mint latest releases, how it pans out is up to Clem.

I'm not very lucky with home networking so can't help you there.
TuxSax

Post by TuxSax »

Perhaps I can just try and go with the main Mint version "katia" ?
If I give you the specs here would you confirm they can run it fine?

CPU: Genuine Intel® CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz × 2
RAM: 2GB
Graphics: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
Network: Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
WifFi Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2561/RT61 rev B 802.11g

Are there any other details needed?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

If you want to go there then it should work quit well, if you have any problems with compiz then you might need this: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html

EDIT:If you need it. This is what I used in LMDE, someone please correct me if it will not help.

Getting compiz to work with intel cards

sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xserver-xorg-video-nv

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Reboot or restart X :)
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

Synaptic was driving me nuts - couldn't find what I needed. Gave up, went to the command line...

sudo apt-get install linux-image-686-pae

A fast and easy upgrade... :D
Blueseeker

Post by Blueseeker »

DEBIAN <3!.

Great!.. Go on Linux Mint ;)!

Now with Debian ;)!
appleseed

Post by appleseed »

I just abandoned Windows forever and converted my trusty PC to pure LMDE, but the Duck Duck search engine isn't the default. I'd like to help the Mint
team get some coin so does anyone know the string needed to make Duck the standard or do I stick with the custom Google search?
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

There's a Duck-duck-go plug-in for Firefox here...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... form=linux

Return to “Releases & Announcements”