Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
TacBeaver

Re: Linux Mint Debian 201109 (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by TacBeaver »

Is there any news on a KDE version ?
.Todd

Post by .Todd »

I recently switched from Ubuntu 11.10 to LMDE + Xfce on a Dell Latitude D610, and I am very happy with it. So, thank you very much. :D
ooseven

Post by ooseven »

Terrel Shumway wrote:
chris_debian wrote:Good work and great news. Unfortunately, the LiveDVD doesn't work for my monitor.

DVD boots fine and when X session starts, my monitor is 'out of range', so my screen just goes blank.
I have a similar problem (with ALL recent distros that I have tried). Try adding "nomodeset" to the kernel command line.
(even the "forcevesa" of the "compatible" menu option doesn't work -- it has to be "nomodeset")

nvidia !@##%!@#
nomodese was my problem and when I choose nomodese as it fixed it...
Herpy

Post by Herpy »

Great! Now if a fluxbox edition is released then I am never using windows again and gonna eat a whole pack of spearmint gum for the occasion :lol:
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

I think I'm in love. All of the up-to-date rolling-release goodness of ArchBang or Aptosid, but it's still Debian unlike Arch, and it's testing and not unstable like Aptosid, and less constant breakage than either.

Also, all of that stuff I have to install after a Debian XFCE install (firefox, flash, debian-multimedia, vlc) is already there.

Great workstation OS.
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

bigbenaugust wrote:Also, all of that stuff I have to install after a Debian XFCE install (firefox, flash, debian-multimedia, vlc) is already there.
...and don't forget all the fun of trying to manually configure wifi on a laptop with Debian. It may be rock-solid once installed, but getting ther feelslike crewing rocks. Just to get a different prespective, I installed the Gnome version and with a sudo ap-get installed Xfce4. I figure whatever changes happen with Gnome will trickle down eventually, and I'll use Xfce until I want to just try something different. Fifteen minutes later, I'll be using Xfce again, but I'll give the new Gnome3/MATE a chance. :D
bigbenaugust

Post by bigbenaugust »

MerelyJim wrote:
bigbenaugust wrote:Also, all of that stuff I have to install after a Debian XFCE install (firefox, flash, debian-multimedia, vlc) is already there.
...and don't forget all the fun of trying to manually configure wifi on a laptop with Debian. It may be rock-solid once installed, but getting ther feelslike crewing rocks. Just to get a different prespective, I installed the Gnome version and with a sudo ap-get installed Xfce4. I figure whatever changes happen with Gnome will trickle down eventually, and I'll use Xfce until I want to just try something different. Fifteen minutes later, I'll be using Xfce again, but I'll give the new Gnome3/MATE a chance. :D
... :) Actually, the next thing I do is disable network-manager and avahi and do the network config manually. I'm not sure that waiting for nm-applet to figure out what wireless (or wired!) network I'm on is any faster than me knowing and running a shell script that runs ifconfig, iwconfig, and dhclient. But then, I am a Linux sysadmin by trade, soo.... :)

Then I install openafs, vpnc, rdesktop, and krb5, and I am all ready to work.
bootmakr

Post by bootmakr »

LMDE is great! it installed flawlessly, in less than 15 minutes, and it exceeds my expectations for anything closely resembling or related to any of the *buntus. Congrats on a good job, and I think I will be using LMDE for a long, long time! I love it!

Thanks
g6iydham

Post by g6iydham »

Decided to give the Debian release a try over the Christmas holiday. Not so happy with the Gnome version, but XFCE flies along on my old desktop computer. Excellent! Will definitely stick with LMD as so far no troublesome glitches have shown up. Worth all the hard work guys. Best wishes for 2012
stanley82
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stanley82 »

This is a stupid question as I'm a bit lost. What is Mint Debian? It's not LinuxMint 12 I'm think it's different. Regards Ian.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

stanley82 wrote:This is a stupid question as I'm a bit lost. What is Mint Debian? It's not LinuxMint 12 I'm think it's different. Regards Ian.
Read introduction & FAQ here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php
sawyerPC

Post by sawyerPC »

I think Debian Mint, or LMDE, is an excellent idea. I think Debian is well enough as a server ready to go OS, but with MINT; We have a fine representative for the future Linux Desktop. I can't wait for the next public release of MINT Debian.
dado023

Post by dado023 »

Any ETA for new ISO?
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Return to “Releases & Announcements”