Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mintbox7

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by mintbox7 »

You're all just thinking this is good because you dont know better.
Stop being tools. Its not entertaining. mintbox7 is not amused!
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

mintbox7 wrote:You're all just thinking this is good because you dont know better.
Stop being tools. Its not entertaining. mintbox7 is not amused!
We know better as we think differently. We are not 'tools' of anyone, and we are not concerned if mintbox7 is not amused. There are lot of distros for you to choose, if you don't like Linux Mint 12. No one would be worried.

We simply like Linux Mint 12 and any other in the future. Period!
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Guys, I just looked at Pear OS 2.5 from France. It is using Dock, but the menu looks like Gnome3 or Rosa Labs, but is based on Gnome2. There is a preview of Pear OS 3.0, which would be based on Gnome3 and looks like a distro, which is going to be highly user friendly. Have anyone of you tried to install the Dock in Mint 12? Regards!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Do you mean like mine?

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

chdslv wrote:Guys, I just looked at Pear OS 2.5 from France.
Just looked at the screenshots...

OMG.

"Think Totally Different" :mrgreen:
"Pear OS Appstore" (hmm, its window looks suspiciously familiar)
"Launchpad" :?
and release names like Cheetah, Jaguar and Puma...
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

tdockery97 wrote:Do you mean like mine?
Absolutely!

How did you get rid of the top panel? Also how did you add the icons to Docky? I tried to pull them, but the Docky goes away.
buntu

Post by buntu »

How to get PEAR OS?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

chdslv wrote:Absolutely!

How did you get rid of the top panel? Also how did you add the icons to Docky? I tried to pull them, but the Docky goes away.
If you want real configurability, you need to log into either MATE or Classic Gnome (fallback mode). I prefer Classic Gnome because it just looks better. Now, about my desktop: The top panel isn't deleted, it's set to auto-hide. The dock I use is cairo-dock (you can install it with Synaptic Package Manager). I just personally think it's the best looking dock, and you can drag and drop icons. Some of them you may have to drag to the desktop first, then drag to the dock. Then you can just delete the one on the desktop. Once you install cairo-dock, delete the bottom panel. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Thanks, tdockery97!

I installed Cairo dock and it works better than Docky. I did that in Gnome3. I have the Gnome Pie and the Gnome3 application window too, so there is much to try. How did you make the top panel to hide? I mean on Gnome3.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I don't know about the top panel in Gnome Shell. As I said, I use the Classic Gnome. I just Alt+right-click, select properties, and tick the Auto Hide Panel box.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Does someone know how to autohide the top panel of Mint Gnome3?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

I don't want to go to Mate or Gnome2, but keep the Gnome3, have the Cairo dock and get rid of the top panel, or autohide that. The top panel doesn't trouble me, but would be happy to have few more free space. Cairo Dock autohides, so no problem there.
swftech

Post by swftech »

There is a Gnome Shell Extension that you can install and it will hide the top panel when double clicked.
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/autohide ... nsion.html
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

Clem,
I have not seen LM 12 yet, but I am very worried with rhY's post. Whatever there be, I am very grateful to you for what you do anyway. And I know I owe you a good donation. But what if I dislike LM 12 the way he does? I'm in love with Katya and I love its menu. I never thought I need any other menu. My only wish is that Katya were more stable. In this vein, as Lisa is our inevitable future, my only concern now is, will there be a way to roll back whatever I dislike? If I disgust:
1. the new menu - will there be a way to go back to LM 11 menu?
2. Gnome 3 - will there be a way to go back to Gnome 2?
3. whatever - will there be a way to go back?
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
buntu

Post by buntu »

buntu wrote:How to get PEAR OS?
:x
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

[quote="melltuga"]Is it just me, or is there no (easy) way to change the font size in the system settings?
Oh, and I can't find any options MGSE-related options either (for example, I'd like to autohide one of the panels in "GNOME Classic").

So, are these options missing, or am I just too blind to find them?[/quote

If you're talking about changing the size of fonts in the default Gnome 3/shell DE then you need to go into the menu and search for "Advanced Settings" (Gnome Tweak). You can change the size of the fonts from there. Yeah, it is a but confusing but the Gnome developers really stripped out a whole lot of customization features in Gnome 3 so someone else wrote the "Gnome Tweak" tool to make up for it.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Clem,

I find the Cairo dock responds much faster than the applications window of Gnome 3. I am using Gnome 3 and tried the Gnome Pie, Docky and finally Cairo Dock. I find it is easy to add applications to Cairo Dock, without pulling from the menu. Actually one can't pull any icons from the Gnome 3 applications window.

Firefox opens pretty fast in Cairo Dock, and one of the slowest openers, Calibre, opens quite fast in this dock.

Pointing the cursor to the top left hand corner shows all open windows, so I can click open any, but other than that, even finding an application, Cairo Dock works faster. Will you have a look?

Have a nice day!
melltuga

Post by melltuga »

kmb42vt wrote:
melltuga wrote:Is it just me, or is there no (easy) way to change the font size in the system settings?
Oh, and I can't find any options MGSE-related options either (for example, I'd like to autohide one of the panels in "GNOME Classic").

So, are these options missing, or am I just too blind to find them?
If you're talking about changing the size of fonts in the default Gnome 3/shell DE then you need to go into the menu and search for "Advanced Settings" (Gnome Tweak). You can change the size of the fonts from there. Yeah, it is a but confusing but the Gnome developers really stripped out a whole lot of customization features in Gnome 3 so someone else wrote the "Gnome Tweak" tool to make up for it.
Thank you *thumbsup*
mikolodz

Post by mikolodz »

Hello,
I see that there's still a problem with Realtek r8168 drivers. Like in Ubuntu, system loads wrong modules (from r8169) which causes several issues like disconnecting (over and over), ultra-low speed of loading sites etc. After rmmod and insmod the correct ones it starts to work. The next thing is the problem with vsync. I've got official ati drivers, anti tearing turned on, compiz settings doesn't work at all. After metacity --replace (or sth like this) tearing is gone, but the same is with menus.
During the normal usage, the menus are disappearing randomly and getting back after 1-3 seconds.
On the other hand, the interface is brilliant, i believe the final release gonna be stable and work with new ati cards (hd6970).
The same issues with tearing cannot be fixed in Ubuntu 11.10. I've done everything i could but nothing helped. Even when it's set to "must working" settings, it works smoothly for half a minute and then you cannot move the window without getting pi**** off. In Ubuntu 10.04 everything works like a charm (except ethernet drivers which are allways set wrong in Ubuntu distros).

I'm keeping the fingers crossed for Lisa.. Now i'm about to test Mint 11 out and see how it works.

regards,
Mike

Return to “Releases & Announcements”