Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by remoulder »

benmajor wrote:is this the appropriate place to post a possible bug in Mint 12 RC?
No, bugs should be reported at https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
ddaann

Post by ddaann »

12rc x64 Works perfectly on my Lenovo x121e. Fastest computer I have ever used. Simpler user interface. Elegant. Functional.

Obviously, some more shell extensions need to be inbuilt. I guess everybody knows this already.

The RC consumes more power than it should. I'd say a third or more energy than Linux Mint 11, Ubuntu 11.4, 11.10, or any other release I've tested, including windows. The excessive energy consumption and lack of ability to alter power settings very much is maybe an msge extension that is necessary.

The power issue is serious for me and I know of other people who would decline to use a power hungry laptop.

But the RC is brilliant. Did a full install after 4 days testing it. Seems like a bit of a new beginning, and some people are upset, but the functionality will soon evolve, and most of it is already there instantly. Good work. The first strong ground to come from Gnome 3.2.
buntu

Post by buntu »

I evangelize people with mint always, but need to no if it is plenty of bugs this beta? :idea:
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

raywoods wrote:I assume Enterprise Distributions are not jumping ship yet, Enterprise systems just don’t work that way. Cutting edge software is not for them, they demand stability. The same should apply to Linux Mint. If Enterprise Distributions can retain established, respected and stable desktops, why can’t we?
The users of enterprise distros are faceless workers, who would call the administrator, if something goes wrong, but the users of distros like Mint are the interested kind, and that's why we have forums, users discuss everything. Distros like Mint works on practically any make of a computer, whereas the so-called enterprise distros work on given type of mass bought computers. That doesn't mean the enterprise distros are more stable than distros like Mint.

If you are working in a firm, and if you have a computer with whatever operating system in it, and if something goes wrong, what would you do? You'd call the administrator to tinker with it, won't you? With distros like Mint, we talk in these forums ask questions and lot of people (users) are there to help out. That's the difference. I'd always go for a distro like Mint, rather than a so-called enterprise one.
buntu

Post by buntu »

buntu wrote:I evangelize people with mint always, but need to no if it is plenty of bugs this beta? :idea:
...?...
phishsauce

Post by phishsauce »

raywoods wrote:I assume Enterprise Distributions are not jumping ship yet, Enterprise systems just don’t work that way. Cutting edge software is not for them, they demand stability. The same should apply to Linux Mint. If Enterprise Distributions can retain established, respected and stable desktops, why can’t we?
What point are you trying to make? Do you know what an LTS is? Linux Mint's LTS version is currently 9. If you want to demand stability it is here for you in Linux Mint version 9.

#OccupyLinuxMint .. ?
buntu

Post by buntu »

buntu wrote:I evangelize people with mint always, but need to no if it is plenty of bugs this beta? :idea:
need to no if it is plenty of bugs this beta?
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

buntu wrote:
need to no if it is plenty of bugs this beta?
Okay, stop with the large text please. It's even worse than using all caps and is considered shouting and will absolutely get you the wrong kind of attention than the kind you're looking for. Simple forum rules by the way.

To answer your question, this is a release candidate and yes, there are bugs which is to be expected in all pre-release software. In the case of Linux Mint 12 I have found the RC to be remarkably stable and robust. Gnome-shell does crash once in awhile but that's more of a Gnome problem than Mint and I tend to hammer any pre-release version pretty hard. Under normal usage though the RC is very solid for an RC. As far as how many actual bugs there are, that's still being determined through testing.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Linux Mint 12 RC is more stable than Ubuntu 11.10 final for me, but that depends very much on your hardware. You will experience glitches using the default login session with Gnome Shell, but I haven't experienced any serious bugs.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

There is a weather applet for the gnome shell that works with linux mint 12, gnome-shell-extensions-weather_0.1-0+20111110~webupd8-oneiric1-all.deb. It would be greatly appreciated if this could be added to the default extensions in the final release. I am getting used to the new release and find it usable as long as I use the MGSE extensions ignoring the gnome default menus. Hope support for my ATI HD4200 graphics card is available in the final release. Overall, excellent job by Clem and crew.
raywoods

Post by raywoods »

phishsauce wrote regarding:
raywoods wrote:
I assume Enterprise Distributions are not jumping ship yet, Enterprise systems just don’t work that way. Cutting edge software is not for them, they demand stability. The same should apply to Linux Mint. If Enterprise Distributions can retain established, respected and stable desktops, why can’t we?

and phishsauce reponded:
"What point are you trying to make? Do you know what an LTS is? Linux Mint's LTS version is currently 9. If you want to demand stability it is here for you in Linux Mint version 9."
It is simple: if an Enterprise Solution can maintain the Gnome 2 desktop it would seem fair that Linux Mint should be able to do likewise and not have to suffer the trauma of Gnome 3 for a good while yet. The main reason I believe that Mint has risen in the Distrowatch list has, up until now been due to it retaining the Gnome 2 desktop. Obviously, should the team go into the Gnome 3 camp, before it is fit for service we will just wash us back down in with the other distributions. Yes, I know we have MGSE and MATE but they are still new and need a lot of love and development.

The vast majority of computer users just use their computers as a tool, not a hobby in its own right and, if we want Linux and specifically Linux Mint to grow, these are the very people we have to encourage into the fold. Nothing is perfect but we should make sure it works as well and as flawlessly as possible. From what I have seen of Linux Mint 12RC, with Gnome3, MGSE and MATE, we have still a long way to go before it is fit for service.
Jesse654

Post by Jesse654 »

LifeInTheGrey wrote:I'd attempt it myself, except I'd really only be able to supply the javascript; tying that into the rest of the system to activate for the GUI is beyond my current knowledge.
Sounds like you know quite a bit. Why not write some js and offer it to Clem & Team? Let them decide if/how/when to use it and how to tie it into the system. Sounds like you already have a design in mind for a few mods...
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

At this point, I find Mint 12 to be buggy, glitchy, and sluggish, to the point that I haven't bothered trying to determine if I like the UI. It is in a multiboot setup so I will probably open it up for updates every few days and wait until it becomes the final release before I try to develop any opinions. Mint 11 is working just fine for me.

Jerry
chassum

Post by chassum »

Will Lisa support multiple X sessions? I haven't been able to locate any information on this. Thanks for all the excellent work that's been put into this release. I like what I've seen so far, but I can't really use Mint 12 at work until I can have that feature working.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Brightness control works for me on 12 RC but it either goes too bright or too dark using the fn r&l control buttons. So I used this in my terminal to get it set correctly:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --brightness 0.9
but every restart or log out and back in resets the brightness. Is there some way to make the above setting stick?
Thanks.
KBD47
Zarggg

Post by Zarggg »

To date, I have been unable to complete installation on a virtual machine. (VirtualBox 4.1.6, Windows 7)
efgee

Post by efgee »

Tried to install Mint 12rc onto my 6 year old Compaq laptop and to my surprise (still during install) I can't see anything when the installer switches to graphic mode; there are just a few horizontal stripes: white stripes and noise stripes.

Thought that could not be a Mint issue and downloaded (and tried) 4 or 5 different distros that are based on Ubuntu... with the same result.

Obviously some "super-smart somebody" ( @Ubuntu... ) decided to get rid of NVidia Graphic support during install.

:shock:

EDIT: typos...
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Any potential "final release date" hinted at yet? I have to install a version on an unknown machine for one of my daughter's friends and I'd like to compare 11 and 12 to see which may be more suitable for a new user (XP gal :wink: )

BTW, just as a testimony, I installed Darnya on a public machine back in 2008 and it's been hammered for over 3 years without a problem. Unfortunately, the hard drive's dying and it doesn't look like we'll be setting longevity records after all. The fun thing was that hundreds of people used that machine without a complaint or confusion. Guess linux is not just for geeks after all. :lol:
mintbox7

What a load of g*rbage

Post by mintbox7 »

I have tried the standard look and gnome classic, both of these are quite bad. At first the OS wouldn't load at all, not a 32 image or whatever it said. Then after that the installer crashed, twice. When I finally got it working I quickly found out that this version is very bad.

1 my USB network card is not working from the start.
Its a Ubiquiti Wifistation, it uses the chip Atheros AR9271, the codes are 0cf3:b002

2 there is no way of moving the panels. I want them both at the bottom. Nocando.

3 there is no way to add anything to panels it seems.

4 I can't right click anything (seriously??)

5 the new menu is baaad, its really bad, everything requires like 2-3 extra clicks to do a 1 click thing.

6 the whole OS seems to made for kids and everything is extremely well hidden if its existing at all.

7 in old Ubuntu and Mint 9,10,11 you could customize many things, colors, add to panel, window borders, buttons and much much more and now you have a few preselected things and all of them suck.

8 The whole OS is at least 2 times as slow and sluggish as 9,10 and 11 not mentioning all the extra useless clicks needed.

I think this OS is garbage compared to 9. 9 was really good, and nice color coded buttons and such, vey customizable. 10 was a bit buggy since its seems people rushed it out and all gray and boring. 11 works good but not as stable as 9, lots of weird problems.

My advice is to drop all this Gnome 3 garbage because nobody wants it anyway, its just annoying. Why would someone implement something that is working worse than it did before on purpose? Usability is like 50% of the old ones. If its not broken don't fix it!!

Another advice is to maybe release one OS every 2 years and make that a good one, make it work without bugs and really make sure whats inside does work.

Also usb-wifi not working? Nov 2011? How can this be? Why is it so hard to make every chipset work out of the box? There are drivers in this OS for it, there is firmware for it so whats the problem? This seems to be the problem with all Linux distros, as much bells and whistles and "bling" as you can possibly cram in there and nothing works.. As much new stuff as possible every 6 months and nothing works. Is this a good strategy?

Seriously what happens every 6 months thats so important you need a new OS? Nothing!

This is crazy. I suggest you release an LTS every 2 years and "service pack" every 1 year.

Its a lot of complaints here but its just because 9,10 and 11 were good, 9 was very good. This one well not so much... Its downright bad, and annoying.
This is not a good direction I think.

I think it would be better if mint ended the cooperation with Ubuntu since its not really good anymore.
Artichoke

Post by Artichoke »

Zarggg wrote:To date, I have been unable to complete installation on a virtual machine. (VirtualBox 4.1.6, Windows 7)
I've managed to install a 12 RC virtual machine running in VB 4.1.6 on my Mint 11 desktop and it's working. It is very slow though, even though I've given it access to plenty of resources, and I can't get it to log into a MATE session. Dunno what's going on there, but I'll keep trying.

I'm going to stay a Mint 11 man for a good while yet though, I can see that. Gnome 2 is where it's at for now. I just love the simplicity.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”