Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
meece

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" RC released!

Post by meece »

Will Mint 12 RC be like previous Mints that "evolve" into the full final release by continual updates? It's taken me since RC 12 was released to tinker the desktop into something usable. I really don't want to have to download 12, reinstall and then spend another week getting it back to where I am now. :?:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

meece wrote:Will Mint 12 RC be like previous Mints that "evolve" into the full final release by continual updates? It's taken me since RC 12 was released to tinker the desktop into something usable. I really don't want to have to download 12, reinstall and then spend another week getting it back to where I am now. :?:
The only difference I see in the stable vs RC is that the desktop has a computer and home folder shortcut on it. I'm guessing that if you ran all the updates you are pretty much the same, but others know more about this than I do. There were a ton of updates to stable--165--I guess LibreOffice and Firefox decided to update at the same time.
KBD47
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

meece wrote:Will Mint 12 RC be like previous Mints that "evolve" into the full final release by continual updates? It's taken me since RC 12 was released to tinker the desktop into something usable. I really don't want to have to download 12, reinstall and then spend another week getting it back to where I am now. :?:
Yes, the RC will evolve into the final release probably as soon as the next set of updates. Despite the fact the final .iso's are up on the heanet server, Linux Mint 12 isn't officially released yet (even if it is available at Softpedia as well). As soon as Linux Mint 12 is officially released than you should get the latest set of updates which will give you the final (which includes "Open as administrator" in Nautilus--yes! :D )
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

axisofevil wrote:chown has a -R (recursive) parameter, so you could carefully do ALL files.
I would use a full path name and do you need to change the group name too?
Think about any symbolic links you may have.
This is risky, so read the man page first.
Thanks much... Will take my time and consult the man file.
meece

Post by meece »

kmb42vt wrote: (which includes "Open as administrator" in Nautilus--yes! :D )
oh thank god for that!! :D

cheers for the info
phantomofliberty

Post by phantomofliberty »

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie and I just installed Mint 12 but I used to have Mint 11 and I remember there was a search field on the menu bar that used to let you search for packages and software to install, but the search field from Mint 12 doesn't really search for anything, just the programs that I have already installed. Is there any way to change that?
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

buntu wrote:why to use sof designed 4 winBUG$ on penguin's platform :?:
Someone called "buntu" should maybe talk less about bugs in Windows. And the "$" is ridiculous. "Blame them for wanting to make money with software"? Gosh, grow up.
antikythera wrote:Just seen on softpedia that Lisa has been released.
It is not released unless it is officially announced. I'd suggest you to wait. Remember: Until it is announced, it can still change a lot.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

/dev/urandom wrote:Remember: Until it is announced, it can still change a lot.
It probably won't.
Iso's were approved for stable release. Changing something would mean building, testing, approving, and uploading the images all over again.

And as it was with Mint 11, a couple of days passed after approval - and here they are in the "stable" directory:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/12/
Maik

Post by Maik »

/dev/urandom wrote:It is not released unless it is officially announced. I'd suggest you to wait. Remember: Until it is announced, it can still change a lot.
A recent example: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Firefox- ... 5614.shtml

Each to their own, I'll wait.
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Clem,

I am downloading the Lisa now Softpedia, but would like to keep the Lisa RC, as it didn't give a problem that would make me install another. I have been updating and upgrading every day. Today, it said that I don't have anything to upgrade, so do I have the Lisa or a not complete Lisa?

Thanks for the Mint 12! :D
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I have tried both the original Mint 12 RC & the recent "Softpedia" release - but only as live disks!
The newer version is very much more polished - all Mint 12 needs is an easy way to install Ubuntu style themes and it is done.
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

axisofevil wrote:I have tried both the original Mint 12 RC & the recent "Softpedia" release - but only as live disks!
The newer version is very much more polished - all Mint 12 needs is an easy way to install Ubuntu style themes and it is done.
Maybe you are right. I checked here http://community.linuxmint.com/iso before downloading from Softpedia. I'd download the official version too, later to check which one I'd keep. Hope the upgraded RC would be just the same...
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Oyabun wrote:http://i43.tinypic.com/2m4ui4x.jpg
Is this beauty, that suppose original as in ubuntu? I don’t think so

http://i39.tinypic.com/e9j4zo.jpg
It’s realy hard to do something with this”glitch”?

http://i39.tinypic.com/3329ikh.jpg
And this cut top button with cut description?

http://i40.tinypic.com/fpazxh.jpg
It’s realy hard to make this fonts bigger together with fonts on panel itself?

Should i look for more bugs? Clem got so far that he forgot this basics. SOrry as much as from the RC i defend Lisa, that much am going to go against coz, if there are technical problems with kernels, programming matters etc, i can keep quiet coz am no good on that, but if i see this so stupid small irritating bugs, i can’t resist to pit point it on the face. Maybe mint team should employ some student to do this elementary job done.
While messing with mint Advanced Shell extensions i found mint 12 soo much inconsistent, looking like it was made out of others linux distros pieces that barely matching to each others blocks, like lego mixed with duplo. How talented should someone be to make ubuntu look this crappy. Take example from open suse how beautifully system should look. I think i should say sorry to some users like “Guy” He dosn’t like gnome 3 at all but gnome3 in ubuntu, compared to gnome3 here is like miss universe compared to miss of plastic surgery.

Clem you can still save this distro but make it look at last consistent not like puzzle, i dont believe in updates anymore, the bugs i show for sure will not be corrected in updates as same as bug in 11 of applets error in system start. I will look in another distro, probably suse or something. I write before in this comments about bigger fonts in top panel about change that dust color to the one from mint-z dark, no one care, so now i don't care about mint.
Everything you've pointed out is valid however, everything you've pointed out is a problem/glitch/bug with Gnome 3/shell itself and not anything that Clem did or did not add or do. That does not excuse the fact that the problems do exist but I have to assume that shell extensions can only do so much and the problems you point out probably means getting into the guts of Gnome 3/shell itself and that is a task for the Gnome devs to fix, not Mint. Mint has very few resources and manpower available and certainly not enough to start rewriting the code for the Gnome 3/shell desktop environment. I'd advise you take these types of UI glitches and bugs to Gnome.org itself as I and many others have done. They're common and valid complaints but are the responsibility of the Gnome developers to fix and not Mint.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Should i look for more bugs? Clem got so far that he forgot this basics.
No need, pal, go get another distro. You are very welcome.

Now, leaving this disgruntled Oyabun aside, I must say that I didn't find anything special on performance of RC (with upgrades) and the Mint 12 64bit downloaded from Softpedia, so I might not install it, but keep the upgraded Mint 12 RC.

It looks like, when Clem issues a RC, it is as good as the one coming later. In the future, I hope we should be able to upgrade from time to time find ourselves with Mint 13.

Thanks and wish you luck, Clem!
The Recorder
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The Recorder »

Just a note to all. I'm running the RC, and just received about a half a dozen updates to Mate and Gnome 3. Gnome 3 has been running fairly well, but Mate and Gnome Classic don't really work (even after the updates). Don't think that the "OK'd for release" iso's that are out there are really Clem's "last word".
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

The Recorder wrote:Just a note to all. I'm running the RC, and just received about a half a dozen updates to Mate and Gnome 3. Gnome 3 has been running fairly well, but Mate and Gnome Classic don't really work (even after the updates). Don't think that the "OK'd for release" iso's that are out there are really Clem's "last word".
Just so you know, MATE is not intended to be finished in this release but is included for user feedback and bug reporting purposes. MATE is so new in it's development that it's hardly begun. Mint chose to support MATE and help it's developer and needs feedback from users who are familiar with the old Gnome 2 desktop. This will help flesh out and improve MATE in it's further development and possibly also help Clem decide whether to keep in future releases of Mint or not.
buntu

Post by buntu »

chdslv wrote:
Should i look for more bugs? Clem got so far that he forgot this basics.
No need, pal, go get another distro. You are very welcome
:lol: :mrgreen: :P :oops: :twisted:
buntu

Post by buntu »

/dev/urandom wrote:Someone called "buntu" should maybe talk less about bugs in Windows. And the "$" is ridiculous. "Blame them for wanting to make money with software"? Gosh, grow up
leave me alone 'homie'(thus in quotation marks)
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

this is the worst mint release ever :(
i guess i will stick to 11
Last edited by frank392 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Could you specify this?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”