Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 014 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Postby clem on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 am

Hi,

The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/20070201.html
Manifest: http://www.linuxmint.com/linuxmint-2.2-beta014.manifest
Screenshots: http://www.linuxmint.com/screenshots.html

To all the beta-testers: Enjoy Bianca and come back to us if you find any bugs or improvements to be done.

Note: The final version of Linux Mint will be released on the 20th of February.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby npap on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 am

Congratulations ! :D Welcome Bianca

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jes on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:44 am

Cool i am downloading it now andt ... i am sory clem
jes

Postby Alephcat on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:55 am

just dowloaded and burnt the .iso looks good on first boot for me
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jes on Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:57 am

if i install it can i update to final release on 20/2
jes

Re: Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 014 released!

Postby scorp123 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:50 am

clem wrote:The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.
You really used that wallpaper that niallabrown and me created?? 8)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 am

Jes: Yes :)
Scorp123: Yes :)

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby frank392 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:38 pm

:D Thank you very much Clem, what a fantastic Distro. I Love it!, thanks for all your hard work and to all the people that helped.
Last edited by frank392 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

post bugs

Postby zolly on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:38 pm

Maybe is a good idea to use launchpad.net to post the bugs. I don't thing that this forum is proper for this.
zolly
Level 2
Level 2

Postby frank392 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:36 pm

HI Clem,
Where can I post some bugs that I have found on Bianca?
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fragadelic on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:39 pm

scorp123 wrote:
clem wrote:The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.
You really used that wallpaper that niallabrown and me created?? 8)

If you guys created that one that is on the download page then you did good. I really like it too.

Linux Mint is really getting its own identity and that is awesome!
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Postby phantommaggot on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:31 am

Hi guys
i installed it and had some problems..

heres where i made a topic

i think i made it in the wrong place tho

anyways
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5398#5398

Mint is awsome
just has a few things to work out befroe it completely takes over my PC
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Bianca thoughts

Postby Darganot on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:44 am

I have been an avid Bea user since it came out, just loved it, so I DL'ed the beta of Bianca last night and installed. After using for a few hours here are my initial thoughts...

First off, why no java or flash? What's the deal? They were pre-installed in Bea. I know how to do all the automatix stuff but that's kinda why I like mint so much, cause I don't have to mess with all that stuff each time I do an install.

I thought that there was supposed to be beryl or KDE in this? I mean I like the new menu and config but I would much rather have KDE or beryl pre-installed. It just makes it easier having beryl pre-installed, I've never been able to get it to work when DLing it from the repos.

Other than that so far so good. I still like mint better than any other distro out there right now. :D
Darganot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Darganot on Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:49 am

oh one more thing...

I'd love to get a multi-torrent client like ktorrent preinstalled. Pre-installing wine for utorrent would work well too.
Darganot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby npap on Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Hello everybody,
My only problem was downloading a good ISO (overloaded Servers).
I installed it on my HDD and now am testing Bianca to see what bugs there are.
So far, no bugs here
Bianca is fantastic! After having worked with LinuxMint 2.1, BEA for a while,
I got hooked on Mint :)

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby clem on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:13 pm

There ALWAYS are bugs. So we'd better go and find them before the stable release :)

Thanks to Darganot, I just checked and yes: Flash and Mplayer plugins are missing in Firefox. Java is alright (1.5).

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby zolly on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm

There are some posting bugs here: http://linuxmint.com/forum/index.php?f=26

It is good idea to use https://launchpad.net

BTW: It is possible (for the first time) to install flash player plugin using Firefox. I am happy also that I can install the remaining OpenOffice parts from repositories without problems.
zolly
Level 2
Level 2

Postby .ee on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi guys!

This is my first post here and I am a linux newbie.

I have been choosing a proper distro for me and found a mention of Mint
on notebookreview.com.

My first impression about Mint is very positive. I liked Ubuntu and Xubuntu but I definitely like Mint more for its improved convenience and the choice of default applications (multimedia, disk mounting). Excellent job, guys!!

Both LAN (Broadcom Gigabite!) and Wifi (Intel) internet cards have been
recognized. It was not the case with other distros I tested so far.
The screen resolution 1280x 768 was also set automatically.

My first critical observation is that the hard disk of my notebook seems to work more loud under Mint than under Windows XP (there are frequent loud clicks). I haven't paid attention to this annoyance with other Linux distros I tried (or maybe I just was not careful enough).

Unfortunately, my NTFS partition was mounted on the desktop but I don't see any files there. Any advise would be appreciated. FAT 32 partition was mounted and I can use the files from it.

My preference list of Linux distros I may decide to stay with includes now Mint, Vector Linux, Puppy Linux, Kanotix and Quantian (for its selection of scientific software I need the most).

I wish Mint would boot totally into RAM as Puppy does to achieve a superfast performance! I have 1270MB of RAM on my notebook
to be able to acomodate the essential part of Mint, if I understand the issue correctly. I wish there were a different boot/install options if one is intended to boot/install on an older hardware (i.e. less RAM exploitation, etc) or a newer hardware (no need to spare RAM to performance in general). Maybe it is implemented and I just don't know how to use it?
Last edited by .ee on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Mint

Postby thorhr on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm

clem wrote:There ALWAYS are bugs. So we'd better go and find them before the stable release :)

Thanks to Darganot, I just checked and yes: Flash and Mplayer plugins are missing in Firefox. Java is alright (1.5).

Clem
I installed 2.2 Beta on a desktop and on a laptop the laptop is an IBM A20m 700 mg P3 the desktop is one i built myself 3.4 gig P4 the same thing happened on both. When the install was finished the cd popped out I removed cd closed the tray and hit enter and nothing happened.I waited awhile then I pushed the power button shut it down and restarted then it started up.I installed flash using synaptic works good.this is the only Ubuntu system that has installed on this laptop since the first one. Good job on that.

Do you know why Solarwolf will not load it loads ok on Bea?That is all that I have found wrong so far.
thorhr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby valent on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:58 am

clem wrote:Hi,

The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/20070201.html
Manifest: http://www.linuxmint.com/linuxmint-2.2-beta014.manifest
Screenshots: http://www.linuxmint.com/screenshots.html

To all the beta-testers: Enjoy Bianca and come back to us if you find any bugs or improvements to be done.

Note: The final version of Linux Mint will be released on the 20th of February.

Clem.

Hi Clem, a great beta release!!!

I was the one who bugged you how ugly Bea boot screen looked, you really made a ENORMOUS improvement! It now looks fantastic! Great work!

Regarding the wallpaper, it is ok, but not great, and it was the first thing my girlfriend changer after I installed Bianca to her laptop :) Please look at suse 10.2 wallpapers if you are going with this line style.

Also please rip suse 10.2 grub graphics, because they are the best I saw in any linux distro!

I have one other suggestion if you would like to think about it. Synaptics is great tool for us powerusers, but not for new users. I tested it with my girlfriend and it failed. Can you put as a default add/remove software tool the great "gnome-app-install" application ? This one is much better for novice users and girlfriends alike :)

Also I think that deskbar is THE greatest gnome addon in recent history, I can't do half of my tasks in gnome without it, or atleast not as fast. Please think about replacing beagle widget with deskbar widget.
And also please put the beagle extension together with firefox, because beagle + firefox make a great web history search! I use it all the time; ie. "Where did I see that thing I was reading about somewhere on the web..."

One thing I find missing is "gnome bluetooth file transfer" applicaton. There is bluetooth support builtin into Bianca but this little but crucial app is missing.

Regarding networking in Linux Mint; it works great. But there is one thing I miss in all linux distros an that is different network settings regarding my location. For example; I have two networks at work, one that is automatically set via DHCP and other (corporate one) that I set up manually. Also at home I have two networks. When I carry my laptop around it is a pain in the ass to change the settings all the time. Could there be a mintNetwork app that is based on NetworkManager Applet that is used right now but with added funcionality so you have xy predefined netork settings and just choose were are you at the moment and then it loads new network settings and resets the service.

Hope you a great new Linux Mint release for us soon!!!

Can't wait to test full version of Bianca!!!

Thank you for a trully great distro!!!

Valent from Croatia.
valent
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Releases & Announcements