Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 014 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/20070201.html
Manifest: http://www.linuxmint.com/linuxmint-2.2-beta014.manifest
Screenshots: http://www.linuxmint.com/screenshots.html

To all the beta-testers: Enjoy Bianca and come back to us if you find any bugs or improvements to be done.

Note: The final version of Linux Mint will be released on the 20th of February.

Clem.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Congratulations ! :D Welcome Bianca
jes

Post by jes »

Cool i am downloading it now andt ... i am sory clem
Alephcat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alephcat »

just dowloaded and burnt the .iso looks good on first boot for me
jes

Post by jes »

if i install it can i update to final release on 20/2
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 014 released!

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote:The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.
You really used that wallpaper that niallabrown and me created?? 8)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Jes: Yes :)
Scorp123: Yes :)

Clem
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

:D Thank you very much Clem, what a fantastic Distro. I Love it!, thanks for all your hard work and to all the people that helped.
Last edited by frank392 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

HI Clem,
Where can I post some bugs that I have found on Bianca?
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

scorp123 wrote:
clem wrote:The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.
You really used that wallpaper that niallabrown and me created?? 8)
If you guys created that one that is on the download page then you did good. I really like it too.

Linux Mint is really getting its own identity and that is awesome!
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

Hi guys
i installed it and had some problems..

heres where i made a topic

i think i made it in the wrong place tho

anyways
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5398#5398

Mint is awsome
just has a few things to work out befroe it completely takes over my PC
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello everybody,
My only problem was downloading a good ISO (overloaded Servers).
I installed it on my HDD and now am testing Bianca to see what bugs there are.
So far, no bugs here
Bianca is fantastic! After having worked with LinuxMint 2.1, BEA for a while,
I got hooked on Mint :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

There ALWAYS are bugs. So we'd better go and find them before the stable release :)

Thanks to Darganot, I just checked and yes: Flash and Mplayer plugins are missing in Firefox. Java is alright (1.5).

Clem
.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by .ee »

Hi guys!

This is my first post here and I am a linux newbie.

I have been choosing a proper distro for me and found a mention of Mint
on notebookreview.com.

My first impression about Mint is very positive. I liked Ubuntu and Xubuntu but I definitely like Mint more for its improved convenience and the choice of default applications (multimedia, disk mounting). Excellent job, guys!!

Both LAN (Broadcom Gigabite!) and Wifi (Intel) internet cards have been
recognized. It was not the case with other distros I tested so far.
The screen resolution 1280x 768 was also set automatically.

My first critical observation is that the hard disk of my notebook seems to work more loud under Mint than under Windows XP (there are frequent loud clicks). I haven't paid attention to this annoyance with other Linux distros I tried (or maybe I just was not careful enough).

Unfortunately, my NTFS partition was mounted on the desktop but I don't see any files there. Any advise would be appreciated. FAT 32 partition was mounted and I can use the files from it.

My preference list of Linux distros I may decide to stay with includes now Mint, Vector Linux, Puppy Linux, Kanotix and Quantian (for its selection of scientific software I need the most).

I wish Mint would boot totally into RAM as Puppy does to achieve a superfast performance! I have 1270MB of RAM on my notebook
to be able to acomodate the essential part of Mint, if I understand the issue correctly. I wish there were a different boot/install options if one is intended to boot/install on an older hardware (i.e. less RAM exploitation, etc) or a newer hardware (no need to spare RAM to performance in general). Maybe it is implemented and I just don't know how to use it?
Last edited by .ee on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
valent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by valent »

clem wrote:Hi,

The BETA version of Bianca was released and is available for download.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/20070201.html
Manifest: http://www.linuxmint.com/linuxmint-2.2-beta014.manifest
Screenshots: http://www.linuxmint.com/screenshots.html

To all the beta-testers: Enjoy Bianca and come back to us if you find any bugs or improvements to be done.

Note: The final version of Linux Mint will be released on the 20th of February.

Clem.
Hi Clem, a great beta release!!!

I was the one who bugged you how ugly Bea boot screen looked, you really made a ENORMOUS improvement! It now looks fantastic! Great work!

Regarding the wallpaper, it is ok, but not great, and it was the first thing my girlfriend changer after I installed Bianca to her laptop :) Please look at suse 10.2 wallpapers if you are going with this line style.

Also please rip suse 10.2 grub graphics, because they are the best I saw in any linux distro!

I have one other suggestion if you would like to think about it. Synaptics is great tool for us powerusers, but not for new users. I tested it with my girlfriend and it failed. Can you put as a default add/remove software tool the great "gnome-app-install" application ? This one is much better for novice users and girlfriends alike :)

Also I think that deskbar is THE greatest gnome addon in recent history, I can't do half of my tasks in gnome without it, or atleast not as fast. Please think about replacing beagle widget with deskbar widget.
And also please put the beagle extension together with firefox, because beagle + firefox make a great web history search! I use it all the time; ie. "Where did I see that thing I was reading about somewhere on the web..."

One thing I find missing is "gnome bluetooth file transfer" applicaton. There is bluetooth support builtin into Bianca but this little but crucial app is missing.

Regarding networking in Linux Mint; it works great. But there is one thing I miss in all linux distros an that is different network settings regarding my location. For example; I have two networks at work, one that is automatically set via DHCP and other (corporate one) that I set up manually. Also at home I have two networks. When I carry my laptop around it is a pain in the ass to change the settings all the time. Could there be a mintNetwork app that is based on NetworkManager Applet that is used right now but with added funcionality so you have xy predefined netork settings and just choose were are you at the moment and then it loads new network settings and resets the service.

Hope you a great new Linux Mint release for us soon!!!

Can't wait to test full version of Bianca!!!

Thank you for a trully great distro!!!

Valent from Croatia.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Clem, a great beta release!!!

I was the one who bugged you how ugly Bea boot screen looked, you really made a ENORMOUS improvement! It now looks fantastic! Great work!

Regarding the wallpaper, it is ok, but not great, and it was the first thing my girlfriend changer after I installed Bianca to her laptop Smile Please look at suse 10.2 wallpapers if you are going with this line style.

Also please rip suse 10.2 grub graphics, because they are the best I saw in any linux distro!
There will be numerous alternative wallpapers included in the bianca-artwork package and for you to enjoy in the stable release (namely Carlos' new wallpapers for instance).

The case badge was made by Tiptup300 with help from 900i and Scorp123 I think so credit to them for the spash screen. As for artwork in general my favorite distro is Fedora :)
I have one other suggestion if you would like to think about it. Synaptics is great tool for us powerusers, but not for new users. I tested it with my girlfriend and it failed. Can you put as a default add/remove software tool the great "gnome-app-install" application ? This one is much better for novice users and girlfriends alike Smile
right click mintMenu->Preferences. Then find the command for synaptic in the System-Management plugin and replace it with gnome-app-install. Then remove mintmenu from the panel and add it again.
Also I think that deskbar is THE greatest gnome addon in recent history, I can't do half of my tasks in gnome without it, or atleast not as fast. Please think about replacing beagle widget with deskbar widget.
And also please put the beagle extension together with firefox, because beagle + firefox make a great web history search! I use it all the time; ie. "Where did I see that thing I was reading about somewhere on the web..."
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that.
One thing I find missing is "gnome bluetooth file transfer" applicaton. There is bluetooth support builtin into Bianca but this little but crucial app is missing.
We'll have a close look at that for 3.0.
Regarding networking in Linux Mint; it works great. But there is one thing I miss in all linux distros an that is different network settings regarding my location. For example; I have two networks at work, one that is automatically set via DHCP and other (corporate one) that I set up manually. Also at home I have two networks. When I carry my laptop around it is a pain in the ass to change the settings all the time. Could there be a mintNetwork app that is based on NetworkManager Applet that is used right now but with added funcionality so you have xy predefined netork settings and just choose were are you at the moment and then it loads new network settings and resets the service.
I've seen something like that in Mandriva and SUSE. We'll definitely come with a mintNetwork tool in 3.0.
Hope you a great new Linux Mint release for us soon!!!

Can't wait to test full version of Bianca!!!

Thank you for a trully great distro!!!

Valent from Croatia.
Thank you :)
Clem
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

I have been satisfied with Mint Bea. This new version.What advantage would there be in changing? I do not see any information that you can apply it as an update to Bea and save myself from switching out all my personal data. I have noticed the various Linux versions continue to change to a next version.I do not know why. I do not know why that one good version can not be adjusted until all the defects are gone. I would like to keep Mint Bea and maybe load the newer version on computers that I encounter in the future.Will Mint Bea become obsolete?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”