mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Post by clem »

Hi,

mintMenu 3.1 was released in Romeo. The latest version of the popular mint menu for Gnome comes packed with new features.

Changes:

- New configuration tool
- New "recent documents" plugin
- Less memory leaks (hopefully no memory leaks anymore)
- No delay after installing/removing applications
- drag and drop support to organize favorites
- easy "uninstall" feature (right click on an application and click uninstall to remove the corresponding package)
- a lot of other stuff that I can't think of right now... :)

How to install it:

- Make sure to have the Romeo repository in your sources.list
- Remove mintMenu from your panel.
- Open a terminal and type:
- apt remove mintmenu
- sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu
- rm -rf ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu
- gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/mintMenu
- Upgrade to the newest mintmenu (apt update; apt install mintmenu)
- Add mintMenu to your panel again

Translations:

mintMenu 3.1 supports unicode and special characters. We want it to support as many languages as possible, so if you happen to speak anything else than English, please help us translate it.

Read this thread and participate in the translation effort: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =43&t=8672

Bugs and feedback:

This is going to be part of Elyssa, and a major component of the desktop so don't hesitate to report bugs or feedback by replying to this thread.

As far as the interface goes this application has reached code-freeze. Additional work may be done to the underlying code to speed things up in relation to displaying category contents.

Clem.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Post by Zwopper »

Works very nice.
Great job! (As usual!)
Last edited by Zwopper on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

works very good. was playing with every function without problem.
changing the look too.
bravo Clem and Lars
ronb1964
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ronb1964 »

I've followed the direction twice and my menu is not working right. I have this error:

"Couldn't load plugin: applications"

Then under that is this:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu_frontend.py", line 231, in PopulatePlugins
MyPlugin = X.pluginclass( self, self.toggle )

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 204, in __init__
mymenu = Menu( mainitems )

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 79, in __init__
self.directory = xdg.Menu.parse( menu )

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 64, in xdgParsePatched
xdg.Menu.__genmenuNotOnlyAllocated(xdg.Menu.tmp["Root"])

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xdg/Menu.py", line 856, in __genmenuNotOnlyAllocated
__genmenuNotOnlyAllocated(submenu)

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xdg/Menu.py", line 856, in __genmenuNotOnlyAllocated

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xdg/Menu.py", line 859, in __genmenuNotOnlyAllocated
tmp["cache"].addMenuEntries(menu.AppDirs)

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xdg/Menu.py", line 1022, in addMenuEntries
self.__addFiles(dir, "", prefix, legacy)

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xdg/Menu.py", line 1036, in __addFiles
self.__addFiles(dir, os.path.join(subdir,item), prefix, legacy)

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xdg/Menu.py", line 1025, in __addFiles
for item in os.listdir(os.path.join(dir,subdir)):

OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/ron/.local/share/applications/wine'

Any ideas?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

ronb1964: permission problem on /home/ron/.local/share/applications/wine, chown it back to you or remove it.

Clem
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Great job Lars.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Great job Clem! This is very nice and ultramodern (and this version fixes the aforementioned problem with the icon in the previous version.) It would be nice if a future version provided an option to specify the icon size in the 'preferences' dialog. Also, you might consider cutting the 'recent' section in half and adding the 'uspuser' plugin. Just a suggestion. See my screenshot. :-)

*** EDIT *** Sorry if I confused anyone...my screenshot shows USP (Ubuntu System Panel) of which MintMenu is forked. They're not identical. (Sorry if I stepped on your toes Clem!)
Last edited by cmost on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Just a thought!
Maybe it would be possible to let the Places pane include the bookmarks from Nautilus!?
CREA DIEM!

rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Hi!

You've done some good job (again) :-) The installation went without any problems and the menu works faster than it used to.

I have though a little problem. I don't seem to be able to start wine apps from mint menu. if i put any other kind of menu on the panel it works. So it might be worth checking (it might be something on my system of course).

Is there a way to customize the icon?

Cheers

Edit: I was just going to turn off the computer when the menu reminded me that it doesn't work to quit. I click the Quit thingy and nothing happens.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

rootkowski wrote:Hi!
Edit: I was just going to turn off the computer when the menu reminded me that it doesn't work to quit. I click the Quit thingy and nothing happens.
Same problem here...
The system hangs on shutdown... :-(
CREA DIEM!

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

If you guys are having trouble with Mintmenu, but don't want to revert to a previous version, you could always try pure USP. USP is the original menu on which MintMenu is forked. It's developed by a couple of Ubuntu users (but, to be fair, work has stagnated of late.) In any case, it's latest version has many advanced features and it functions nearly identically to Mintmenu. You can even specify Mint's icon, etc. so it will be indistinguishable. I'm using it in my screenshot above. Here is the official how-to:

Please Note:- If you are running beryl you will need to set focus stealing to "None" to use USP.

Installation: All you need to do is make sure that you have Subversion, so that you can download SVN. Run this command:
sudo apt-get install subversion

Now cd to the directory that you want to download it to. For example, I like to use ~/Downloads/USP, so that's where I'll go:
cd ~/Downloads/USP
now run
svn checkout http://ubuntu-system-panel.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ ubuntu-system-panel

This should download all the correct files that you need. Now, put in
cd ubuntu-system-panel
and then
./usp_update install fresh

That should install it for you, as well as clearing out the old version!
Before you finally get to add the applet to your panel, do this:
killall gnome-panel

Your Panel(s) will disappear for a few seconds then re-appear. Don't worry this is correct.
Now you can right click on any empty panel area, and select 'Add to Panel'. You should see 'Ubuntu System Panel' under the
'Miscellaneous' group.

Updating: Whenever you want to get the latest SVN version of USP, 'cd' to the directory that contains the SVN files (in the
above example it was ~/Downloads/SVN) and type
./usp_update update

This should display a log of all the changes that were made between the version that you have and the newest version. It will then
download all the files that you need and attempt to install them. You will most likely need to enter your password before USP is
updated.

Uninstallation: You can also uninstall USP by going to the directory that contains the SVN files (in the above example it was ~/Downloads/SVN)
and typing in
./usp_update uninstall

Here's a brief summary of available plugins (third party plugins available from other sources...see link following)
1. uspuser -- Displays some information about the user that is currently logged in. This includes your login photo, username, and when you logged in. You can also configure it so that it shows a photo which is different from your login photo. It can be used to show an animated .gif . If you are using USP on Feisty, make sure that you have a login photo selected for your user account (System-->Preferences-->Login Photo) or USP won't work.
2. system_management --- a small menu which contains buttons for "Install Software", "Control Center", "Lock Screen" and "Quit"
3. applications --- the meat of the program, its a way to quickly get to all your applications. The best part of it is that it has a quick search feature built-in. As soon as you start typing, the the application list will start narrowing down based on the search. It searches not only the listed name of the application, but also its description and its command (so, for instance, typing 'gco' will show the name of "Configuration Editor").
4. shortcuts --- provides a list of quick shortcuts to anything. To add a shortcut, you have to first pin the menu. The pin button is the iconless button in the sidepane. If your sidepane is hidden, minimize any plugin to bring it up. Once you have pinned the menu, drag an icon from anywhere into the shortcuts plugin. The first icon is a little hard to drag, since the area that you have to drag it into is very small. The area is right underneath the plugin title. If you are dragging in the right place, a thin black line will appear.
Note: If you drag an icon for a file from Nautilus (not a folder), it probably won't work. Right click on the shortcut, and then select edit. Now edit 'exec' field for the correct program needed to open it. For example, an HTML document will need you to replace the part of the command that says 'nautilus' with 'firefox', and for a pdf file you should replace 'nautilus' with 'evince'.
5. places --- provides quick shortcuts to either your Nautilus bookmarks, or a standard set of places.
6. computer --- this is the plugin with the title of "Settings". It allows easy access to a few useful system settings.
7. recent --- a list of either recent documents, or recent applications launched from USP. This plugin is not supported for Dapper.

Finally, see this thread for complete details as well as troubleshooting issues: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost2178646
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

cmost's screenshot shows USP (which mintMenu was forked from).
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I just installed the new menu and I really like it! I especially like how customizable the menu is. The Preferences for the menu are now very user friendly. The Recent Documents section is a great addition to the menu and puts a nice finishing touch to it.

I did not think it possible to make the Mint Menu better than it was but this is nice!

Thanks for the awesome menu!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I like the new Mintmenu better than USP.
I've used USP before and it's a little to messy for me.
The new Mintmenu however is clean as the rest of th Linux Mint Distro is...
CREA DIEM!

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Wow! Mint Menu has finally fixed the most annoying thing. As a GUI <violates forum rules> I would cringe that the catagories of apps and the apps themselves weren't divided in any way, now I find there is a dividing line! I can sleep easy from now on. :twisted:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

- The button icon size will be added to the preferences box in mintMenu 3.2 (release in a few days).

- For people who can't "quit" using mintMenu, make sure you remove and purge CCSM (Compiz Settings manager and its associated python package), then reboot. It's a known problem with CCSM and the reason why CCSM didn't make it into Daryna.

Clem
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rootkowski »

Zwopper wrote:
rootkowski wrote:Hi!
Same problem here...
The system hangs on shutdown... :-(

Well, my system doesn't hang but it just doesn't react to clicking on Quit.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If you are having the "can't Quit" problem a work around for it is to press Alt and then F! and quit from the gnome drop down list.

CCSM is buggy and I have been looking for solutions for it's problems for some time. Hopefully newer releases of ccsm will resolve these kind of problems.

I thought I would offer this work around in case some of you were interested.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

exploder wrote:If you are having the "can't Quit" problem a work around for it is to press Alt and then F! and quit from the gnome drop down list.

CCSM is buggy and I have been looking for solutions for it's problems for some time. Hopefully newer releases of ccsm will resolve these kind of problems.

I thought I would offer this work around in case some of you were interested.
Could come in handy in other situations, thank You!
CREA DIEM!

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Clem, please make the uninstall option more safe by not allowing people to uninstall parts needed by other apps!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”