mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: mintMenu 3.1 released in Romeo

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:25 am

Wow! Mint Menu has finally fixed the most annoying thing. As a GUI **** I would cringe that the catagories of apps and the apps themselves weren't divided in any way, now I find there is a dividing line! I can sleep easy from now on. :twisted:
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:00 am

- The button icon size will be added to the preferences box in mintMenu 3.2 (release in a few days).

- For people who can't "quit" using mintMenu, make sure you remove and purge CCSM (Compiz Settings manager and its associated python package), then reboot. It's a known problem with CCSM and the reason why CCSM didn't make it into Daryna.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby rootkowski on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:04 am

Zwopper wrote:
rootkowski wrote:Hi!
Edit: I was just going to turn off the computer when the menu reminded me that it doesn't work to quit. I click the Quit thingy and nothing happens.

Same problem here...
The system hangs on shutdown... :-(

Well, my system doesn't hang but it just doesn't react to clicking on Quit.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Postby exploder on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:06 am

If you are having the "can't Quit" problem a work around for it is to press Alt and then F! and quit from the gnome drop down list.

CCSM is buggy and I have been looking for solutions for it's problems for some time. Hopefully newer releases of ccsm will resolve these kind of problems.

I thought I would offer this work around in case some of you were interested.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Zwopper on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:20 am

exploder wrote:If you are having the "can't Quit" problem a work around for it is to press Alt and then F! and quit from the gnome drop down list.

CCSM is buggy and I have been looking for solutions for it's problems for some time. Hopefully newer releases of ccsm will resolve these kind of problems.

I thought I would offer this work around in case some of you were interested.

Could come in handy in other situations, thank You!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Clem, please make the uninstall option more safe by not allowing people to uninstall parts needed by other apps!
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Kynan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:26 am

belovedmonster wrote:Clem, please make the uninstall option more safe by not allowing people to uninstall parts needed by other apps!

yes please! its rather scary at the moment hehehe just take a look at the screenshot of me attempting to uninstall rhythmbox...

also there might be something wrong with the scaling, it seems to have a large grey area under the cancel and remove buttons when you resize it. (see screenshot)

also i'd like to suggest a new tab in there for "Mint Tools" so users can easily find them all (also in the screenshot)

also i'd like to suggest a way of removing the "All" as i find i don't use it it's just clutter for me and its much easier to use the search function. (i do notice that the search defaults to the all tab when you begin typing is it possible for it to work without displaying the all tab?)
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Kynan on Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:38 am

clem wrote:- The button icon size will be added to the preferences box in mintMenu 3.2 (release in a few days).

very cool :)
i'm actually very interested in this area, unfortunately i have no programing background but i'd like to learn how you guys make all of this, so maybe if i learn't enough i could help...
Can anyone point me towards a good tutorial for learning the required language i'm guessing probably python?
Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby belovedmonster on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:00 am

Kynan wrote:
belovedmonster wrote:Clem, please make the uninstall option more safe by not allowing people to uninstall parts needed by other apps!

yes please! its rather scary at the moment hehehe just take a look at the screenshot of me attempting to uninstall rhythmbox...

Lol. Me thinks you don't wanna remove gnome, that is probably pretty useful to leave installed :wink:
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Postby foggytown on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 am

mintMenu problem, replicated on two different installs.
After install, Digikam will not open from the menu--will not launch from either "all programs" nor favorites. Works with the Main GNOME Bar, works from command line. Attempted uninstall/reinstall Digikam--with reboot in between. Attempted removal of Digikam preferences. Attempted removal of mintMenu preferences.
Rolled back to mintMenu 3.0.

Great job on the added features, love the drag and drop and uninstall options--
--john
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rootkowski on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:39 am

I had quite some problems on my system which were over after uninstalling the mintmenu beta. The problem was that after starting the system menus would treat hovering as clicking on things and that led to quite a headache (if i tried to drag something it would instead open hundreds of instances of that program or folder). I had to kill nautilus from the terminal, then it restarted itself and then things worked ok. Anyway, uninstalling mintmenu 3.1 fixed the issue.
rootkowski
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sundayrefugee on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:38 pm

belovedmonster wrote:
Kynan wrote:

Lol. Me thinks you don't wanna remove gnome, that is probably pretty useful to leave installed :wink:

I don't think it would hurt anything. It's just a meta to pull in gnome during an install. It should really only necessary if you're on a rolling release, or really need the metapackage. I'm not sure if Mint specifically needs it, but it should be harmless to remove the gnome meta once it's installed ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback so far. The "uninstall" feature relies on the output of "apt rdepends rhythmbox" to find the packages which will be removed... however if you perform an "apt remove rhythmbox" you can see there is far less dependencies (if any). So that's a bug if we can't rely on apt rdepends we'll find some other way to list dependencies.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:52 pm

I could also reproduce the problem with digikam.. and I'll have that fixed in version 3.2.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby subslug on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:45 pm

Looks nice.

FWIW though, my quit button hasn't worked in quite sometime, even before updating mintMenu. I just never quit, problem solved.

One thing I haven't figure out yet on Daryna, neither the old mintmenu nor this version lists Crossover Office or its installed apps. I manually created a desktop launcher to CO but is it possible to have the CO menu entries like in KDE....?
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby sundayrefugee on Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 am

MintMenu 3.1 is running at 28 megabytes. Methinks there still be memory leaks :-(
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Xanikseo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:02 am

Very nice indeed. :D This is one reason I'm likely to stay with Mint for a very long time :P.

However, I installed a program in Wine, and it added the icon to start the program up, but it wouldn't load. It works in the gnome menu and in the terminal. In the end I had to write a script myself to enable it to start it up from the mintMenu.

The only suggestions I have, is that you can in some way, at least, can customise the system and places panes, I find it a little annoying opening my home folder, and then having to click on the bookmark in the nautilus bookmark pane (I know it makes me sound lazy :lol:) to get to one of my very hidden folders. Also in the config there could be an option to change the height of the menu because I had to use gconf-editor for that :idea:.

And for some reason, I have no problem whatsoever with the quit button, even though I have CompizConfig Settings Manager installed...
Xanikikiki
Xanikseo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby subslug on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:06 pm

sundayrefugee wrote:MintMenu 3.1 is running at 28 megabytes. Methinks there still be memory leaks :-(

:shock:
34.6 megs here!

Wow, it really is hogging resources. I've also noticed now my menu doesn't close itself after I click on an app to start, I have to click off the menu somewhere....like the desktop.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby clem on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 am

The memory problem is something to do with python not freeing up memory.. same problem with mintupdate. Apparently python devs don't see it as a problem so it's not likely to get fixed. I might use a workaround or rewrite parts of these tools in a different language (I'm a bit fed up with the no_line_separator and corrupted_identation stories as well to be honest... not the best language I ever had to use if you ask me). I've got a lot of experience with java and I'm also interested in looking at the possibility to use Perl. We'll see about this anyway... and whatever solution is chosen we'll still use GTK as the GUI API so as users you won't see any difference :)

For the reverse dependencies, apparently we need to use another tool... the good news is that we might end up with a graphical representation of the dependencies :) That could be very cool. Check apt-rdepends on google.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:02 pm

I'm working on the logout problem and I can't reproduce it... can people having this problem try the following and tell me if it works:

- click on "quit" in mintmenu
- confirm that nothing happens
- Open a terminal
- type "gnome-session-save --kill" and enter.
- confirm that the logout dialog appears
- close the dialog
- press ALT+F1 and choose "quit"
- confirm that the dialog appears again.

Thanks,
hopefully with your help on this we'll have that fixed in mintmenu 3.2
Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements