Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Goden

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Post by Goden »

I've been running Mint12 for about 2 hours since the time of writing and I'm already getting ready to downgrade back to an older version of Mint.

I run this on my tiny Acer Aspire One (which has been upgraded and meets the requirements) which means I need an OS which performs well since this thing isn't a power-house of a computer. So far, Mint12 has been painfully slow and sluggish without having even installed a single thing or touched a single setting.

Secondly, the lack of customization and documentation is hair-pullingly frustrating. In the older Mints, if I wanted to change something I knew where I needed to go and there were always tons of options and settings to change. In 12 everything seems hidden and un-changeable. It feels (and looks) extremely over-simplified.

Not to mention I've already encountered several problems which are outright hindering my ability to use this OS.
Noob91

Post by Noob91 »

Hello!
This might be a simple question, but why do i lose the bottom panel if i change the theme from appearance(i click on adwaita and it's gone). I could't find an intuitive way to revert it, and i used gnome-tweak/advanced settings. So is there any way to go back to the default look?
I'm using virtual box to test it, but i don't think that's the cause.
swftech

Post by swftech »

Noob91 wrote:Hello!
This might be a simple question, but why do i lose the bottom panel if i change the theme from appearance(i click on adwaita and it's gone). I could't find an intuitive way to revert it, and i used gnome-tweak/advanced settings. So is there any way to go back to the default look?
I'm using virtual box to test it, but i don't think that's the cause.
I'm not sure why your panel disappeares just because of enabling Adwaita. After switching to Adwaita can you go to the "shell extensions" tab in Gnome tweak tool and make sure the extension "Bottom Panel" is still turned on? Maybe it's shutting it off when you switch to that theme. In any case, it doesn't do it to me, so it could be the VM.
Noob91

Post by Noob91 »

Apparently, it came back after i restated the machine (:?) . I think LM12 in virtual box is still very buggy, gnome3 works too sluggish(compared to fallback mode). I don't think i'm going to replace my mint 11 as main linux os anytime soon though(i like the way it turned out so far, but it still feels a little beta). I'm confident that version 13 will be much more usable ( :D ).
Tundakom

Post by Tundakom »

I love Linux Mint. I came here from Ubuntu 11.10 (my first Linux OS), but the speed of Unity was annoying. I found that I only used GNOME3 and MATE. Since I never used Unity, and both of those desktop environments were available on Linux Mint, I decided to switch over to Mint 12. I've found much joy from gnome3 and think it is an amazing shell!

Thanks Mint!
IgnorantMe

Post by IgnorantMe »

Hello ,I've recently installed mint on my pc ..I want to know the links of few good kernel developement and programming video tutorial ..plz help.
Sarker1986

Post by Sarker1986 »

wolverine_tech wrote:
Sarker1986 wrote:I am wondering what people think of the change, i have tried Gnome3.x on other distros and not been impressed by it. Mainly because of the lack of customisation options, but is Gnome 3 on LM12 any different from Unity 11.04/11.10 or Fedora's Gnome 3.
I have not enjoyed my experience of Gnome 3 to date, and am having serious reservations about it still with LM12. Can anyone provide a little more info on the upgrade that might either encourage me to go for it, i will try it very soon when I have some free time, but I have serious reservations so far.
Hi Sarker1986,

I've been using G-Shell since it's 3.0 version & I think LM 12 has the best implementation of G-shell so far. At least the task-centric approach of switching between windows instead of applications is there & the screen looks like a real desktop instead of a smartphone. (I'm not a Mint fanboy... just an 'observer from the sidelines'... so this is a very 'neutral' defense of LM 12).

The only customizations that I sorely miss are 1) pinning applications/creating launchers on the panel and 2) using panel applets. However, if you use Cairo-Dock (or any other dock), (1) gets taken care of and you also get the old default Gnome menu-layout. Moreover, I use GNOME-Do extensively, so 'launching' applications for me is, in a way, no different than it was in GNOME 2.x.

Hopefully in the next few iterations of GNOME 3, it'll become more customizable. But if you are happy with an earlier version of Mint that still has support for a while, perhaps there's no harm in waiting...

Just my $0.02....
Thanks for the response, I hope it does improve with time, and im sure it will as all previous shells have done. I think i'll stick with mint11 on my main machine for now, and i might set it up on another computer and have a play around with it.

Thanks Wolverine
Regards, S
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

@Sarker1986
Check out these customization options:
https://extensions.gnome.org/
Thaskalas

Post by Thaskalas »

Hi All,

Once again Clem, Fantastic job on 12!

I've never taken a liking to Gnome 3, too buggy and the customization options are severely limited - not Mint's fault at all, I just don't agree with the direction that Gnome is heading. I ended up installing the XFCE DE through Software Manager and now I have a blazing fast DE on top of 12's Minty Goodness on my laptop. I'm curious how that setup will work on my main computer...I have it setup as my gaming rig - anyone have any pro's/con's in using XFCE for gaming (WoW, etc.)?

Thaskalas
alena

Post by alena »

I started with Linux few days ago (after getting upset AGAIN with Windows), tried Mint, Pinguy, ubuntu and Mageia and Mint is imo the best choice for Linux newbies (and not only for them, for experienced users as well I think). Its user-friendly, FAST, great, nice, sexy, cooooool 8) Especially these Linux distros with preinstalled codecs etc., its so great, just boot (or install) and start browsing, watching movies, listening music, working in Libre Office (which is totally FREE, unlike Office from MS) and many more. I am delighted! Without Mint would be little difficult to me convert from Windows because its not easy for newbies, but with Mint I found OS that satisfies my needs perfectly! Now I want to get into Linux more to become Linux freak :lol:

You cant imagine (well, you can :roll: ) how many times and how much I was f**ked up by something that went wrong in Windows. According to what I've read on net Mint (and Linux in general) is more stable and serves his user, not like Windows where user is a Windows's slave :lol:
Linux distros remind me little bit of early Workbench (Amiga OS) and I feel like I am returning back to my computer roots 8)

Why the hell has noone told me about Mint earlier? :evil: :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot!!!
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

Other than the fact that Alien Arena won't run anymore (worked fine on this computer with previous incarnations of Mint; I address this here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=78949), I'm really liking Mint 12. I figure that GNOME 3 is the way of the future, whether we want it to be or not, and that the only way to survive is to adapt, so I've been using the MGSE environment.

The top bar doesn't bother me at all.

So basically, other than that fairly minor complaint, I'm quite pleased with Linux Mint 12. The remaining thing would be to remedy the problem I have...?
tsger

How do I tile windows like "Aero Snap?"

Post by tsger »

How do I tile the windows in Mint 12 using keybindings, similar to the Aero Snap feature in windows? In previous versions of Mint I could do it through compiz-config-settings-manager, under the "grid" extension.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Has anyone lost the Mint (Gnome) login sound over the last few updates. Life has kept me busy for the last week or so and I've only had time to apply updates ands check emails, etc. Yesterday I noticed that the login sound had gone missing. I copied the command out of the "Startup applications" "Gnome login sound" entry and pasted it into a terminal and got this as a result:

Command:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"
Result:
Failed to play sound: File or data not found
Can anyone else confirm this?

Running Linux Mint 12 64-bit/default "Gnome" (gnome-shell w/MGSE)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
swftech

Post by swftech »

kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone lost the Mint (Gnome) login sound over the last few updates. Life has kept me busy for the last week or so and I've only had time to apply updates ands check emails, etc. Yesterday I noticed that the login sound had gone missing. I copied the command out of the "Startup applications" "Gnome login sound" entry and pasted it into a terminal and got this as a result:

Command:

Result:

I can confirm it. My login sound stopped playing about three days ago. I was actually going to switch it out with the Pinguy OS login sound (Which is what I did in Katya) so I haven't thought much about it until now.
swftech

Post by swftech »

swftech wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:Has anyone lost the Mint (Gnome) login sound over the last few updates. Life has kept me busy for the last week or so and I've only had time to apply updates ands check emails, etc. Yesterday I noticed that the login sound had gone missing. I copied the command out of the "Startup applications" "Gnome login sound" entry and pasted it into a terminal and got this as a result:

Command:

Result:

OK, I found a fix for the login sound. After searching and trying a few different tips none worked until I came across this one...

Open terminal and type...

sudo apt-get install sox libsox-fmt-mp3

Go to startup applications. Uncheck Gnome login sound. Create a new startup program and call it what you wish, with the command...

play /dir-name/soundname.extension

In my case I put a folder calle Login-Sound in my home folder with a sound file I chose so mine looks like this...

play /home/mike/Login-Sound/desktop-login.ogg

This worked for me brilliantly!

Also I noticed that there was no "Gnome Login Sound" entry in my start up applications to begin with.

And if you want the most awesome sound file for login check out this one I uploaded.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3261204/desktop-login.ogg

I got it from Pinguy OS login sounds.
Snakeman

Post by Snakeman »

My Windows 7 got so bogged up I decided to trying to install Mint 12 to my laptop. First try was a failure, the installer got stuck "configuring target system" and did not proceed. After filing bug report (seems like it was confirmed bug) I then tried installing Mint 11 which went smoothly but the laptop got really hot so I decided I'd try 12 again, if it would install.

This time I tried installing it next to 11 and to my surprise, it finally succeeded. Then I decided to see if my mobility Ati 5670 would finally work on Linux, the system immediately suggested these drivers but alas, when I tried them, the graphics got distorted and I couldn't do anything. Now, after two Mint installations today I am trying once again, wiping the system clean and steering away from Ati proprietary drivers. I hope it finally works... at least the system finally installed. I kept the network cable detached on both reinstalls, maybe this is why it worked now. I really hope I could get my Ati card working though.

The overall installation experience for absolute newbie certainly wasn't very encouraging, but I hope the system is worth it (if it finally works).
archiegoodwin

Post by archiegoodwin »

Been fiddling around with Lisa for a week now, and am pleased to say that I actually like it. A number of posts in this forum have been very helpful. It still lacks some functionality and custom-ability, but it is probable that future shell extensions, and improvements in Gnome 3 will resolve all of those issues. One persistent serious problem is screen lock-up or freeze. This is not like the occasional problem under Mint 11 or Ubuntu where an application would lock and you could use the "Force Quit" applet or System Monitor to kill it. This is a complete lock-up where the keyboard and mouse completely stop working. Nothing functions, and the only option is to push the power-off button on the computer. This happens to me about once every 24 to 48 hours. Otherwise, I like what I see.

Archie
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Snakeman wrote:My Windows 7 got so bogged up I decided to trying to install Mint 12 to my laptop. First try was a failure, the installer got stuck "configuring target system" and did not proceed. After filing bug report (seems like it was confirmed bug) I then tried installing Mint 11 which went smoothly but the laptop got really hot so I decided I'd try 12 again, if it would install.

This time I tried installing it next to 11 and to my surprise, it finally succeeded. Then I decided to see if my mobility Ati 5670 would finally work on Linux, the system immediately suggested these drivers but alas, when I tried them, the graphics got distorted and I couldn't do anything. Now, after two Mint installations today I am trying once again, wiping the system clean and steering away from Ati proprietary drivers. I hope it finally works... at least the system finally installed. I kept the network cable detached on both reinstalls, maybe this is why it worked now. I really hope I could get my Ati card working though.

The overall installation experience for absolute newbie certainly wasn't very encouraging, but I hope the system is worth it (if it finally works).
Good luck on the install. Hope 3rd time is a charm. Laptops/notebooks especially with ATI video hardware are definitely problem areas for any Linux distro due to the myriads of different hardware configurations plus the fact that ATI still hasn't put any real effort into their video drivers for Linux. This makes no sense of course, simply because companies like Nvidia and ATI make their money off of the hardware, not the drivers. I've heard that a lot users in your predicament have better luck using the open source ATI driver over the proprietary driver. Others install the proprietary driver and then have to uninstall it due to display problems and then find their display problems gone after the following reboot.

Hope it works for you.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

archiegoodwin wrote:Been fiddling around with Lisa for a week now, and am pleased to say that I actually like it. A number of posts in this forum have been very helpful. It still lacks some functionality and custom-ability, but it is probable that future shell extensions, and improvements in Gnome 3 will resolve all of those issues. One persistent serious problem is screen lock-up or freeze. This is not like the occasional problem under Mint 11 or Ubuntu where an application would lock and you could use the "Force Quit" applet or System Monitor to kill it. This is a complete lock-up where the keyboard and mouse completely stop working. Nothing functions, and the only option is to push the power-off button on the computer. This happens to me about once every 24 to 48 hours. Otherwise, I like what I see.

Archie
I take it you using the default "Gnome" desktop (with gnome-shell)? When this happens do the top and bottom panels disappear along with the title bar of any application that happens to be running? If so it means that gnome-shell has crashed and not recovered. In this case though, any program that happens to be running should continue to run or at least they do for me but the desktop is basically unusable. This is mostly a problem with Gnome 3 and gnome-shell and not Mint.

I know you said you keyboard locks up but have you tried 'ctrl-alt-F1' when this happens? If it drops you to a command prompt then login with your username and password and then run this command:

sudo service lightdm restart
Enter your password and it should bring you back to the Mint's login screen. Now you can log back into your desktop which should be working properly again.
Snakeman

Post by Snakeman »

kmb42vt wrote:
Snakeman wrote: Good luck on the install. Hope 3rd time is a charm. Laptops/notebooks especially with ATI video hardware are definitely problem areas for any Linux distro due to the myriads of different hardware configurations plus the fact that ATI still hasn't put any real effort into their video drivers for Linux. This makes no sense of course, simply because companies like Nvidia and ATI make their money off of the hardware, not the drivers. I've heard that a lot users in your predicament have better luck using the open source ATI driver over the proprietary driver. Others install the proprietary driver and then have to uninstall it due to display problems and then find their display problems gone after the following reboot.

Hope it works for you.
Thank you. Reinstall worked okay, continuing with the Mint 12 experience I of course wanted to update the OS to spec. which Update worked okay nearly to the end until the system somehow "lost" the desktop. I had to reboot via button (I tried to reboot through terminal but that didn't work either; I got the terminal screen but couldn't write anything on it and it was "stuck" so I couldn't even move the window).

After restart the system seemed to work, but I noticed it had somehow sluggish feel. I figured this was due to open source graphics drivers so I, probably foolishly, tried to reinstall the Ati proprietary drivers neverthless since I figured if it doesn't work, I try Mint 11 again. I want my system to be as responsive as possible and so far everything seemed to "lag" slightly. Also, while I am ready to learn this new desktop system, I think I slightly prefer the old Gnome(?). Customization seemed to be bit of a problem because especially after Windows I want to be in control of the computer. I have used Mint 11 a bit and it seemed very intuitive and customizable, so far things haven't been quite so.

Okay, so the Ati drivers installed and surprisingly the screen is now undistorted. But the system seems even more laggy now. I'll try to fiddle a bit, perhaps trying to deactivate these drivers and see if there's some setting which would disable any graphics improvements and such. System still runs pretty hot, but not quite as hot as Mint 11 which even made me fearful of thermal shutdown. I really hope this would work, Mint 12 seems great with all the codecs and stuff already installed.

If I could only get the display working correctly and without lag and the 'old style' desktop with this, I'd be comfortable very comfortable with the system. Thermal problems keep me cautious with 11, although otherwise I probably would stick with it at least for a while until 12 is 'fixed'. :)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”