Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Clyde

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Post by Clyde »

Congrats on LM12 Lisa ! ... noticed some prospective mentions about a version '13' too :wink:
... i'm still wading with Isadora 9 and the water is still very refreshing here :mrgreen:
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

@rfd: if you think gnome 2 was so polished when it first came out...guess again...it had to evolve...so does gnome 3...don't be so quick to condemn...
well, you don't have to use it if you don't want to....I will and am very much enjoying it too... :mrgreen:

I think Clem did a terrific job with mint 12 especially considering the sudden change over to the new way...it will only get even better as time goes on...
Gnome3 is already becoming much more flexible then unity thanks to extensions...and more and more are being added all the time...

I also enjoyed previous gnome 2 editions of mint as you do...but i am moving in with the new...you can stay with the old :wink:
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

craig10x wrote:@rfd: if you think gnome 2 was so polished when it first came out...guess again...it had to evolve...so does gnome 3...don't be so quick to condemn...
well, you don't have to use it if you don't want to....I will and am very much enjoying it too... :mrgreen:

I think Clem did a terrific job with mint 12 especially considering the sudden change over to the new way...it will only get even better as time goes on...
Gnome3 is already becoming much more flexible then unity thanks to extensions...and more and more are being added all the time...

I also enjoyed previous gnome 2 editions of mint as you do...but i am moving in with the new...you can stay with the old :wink:
geez louise, no one's asking for "polished", i'm asking for FUNCTIONAL. m5 wasn't "polished", BUT it had functional attributes that g3 is still dreaming/developing over ... and m5 was very functional, whereas m12 isn't at all. at least not for folks that depend on their os for real world work usage - it makes absolutely no productive sense to migrate to an inferior platform. yeah, it's cool that there are os alternatives and while you grunts debug and polish m12 i'll sit in the wings and be productive with m10. to each their own. and thanx again clem and team for all you do, you *are* appreciated - but you blew it with m12, way too early in the os game.
nige

Post by nige »

I have been using LM 11 for a little while. I have noticed a couple of comments regarding that there is no point upgrading to LM12. However, surely it is an advance on LM11. Can I do a simple install, upgrade to LM12, which will leave all my settings an data as it is with LM11 ? Or would I have to do a complete install and start from scratch. ? And if so is it better to do it from a LM12 disc (ie from the Linux magazine,) or download. ?

Cheers.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

rfd wrote:
craig10x wrote:@rfd: if you think gnome 2 was so polished when it first came out...guess again...it had to evolve...so does gnome 3...don't be so quick to condemn...

geez louise, no one's asking for "polished", i'm asking for FUNCTIONAL. m5 wasn't "polished", BUT it had functional attributes that g3 is still dreaming/developing over ... and m5 was very functional, whereas m12 isn't at all. at least not for folks that depend on their os for real world work usage - it makes absolutely no productive sense to migrate to an inferior platform. yeah, it's cool that there are os alternatives and while you grunts debug and polish m12 i'll sit in the wings and be productive with m10. to each their own. and thanx again clem and team for all you do, you *are* appreciated - but you blew it with m12, way too early in the os game.
I need functional as well. I carefully followed the upgrade instructions backing up my home to a separate partition and backing up my software selection. It was time consuming as I backed up stuff I could easily have ditched, but it seemed to work...at first. Then I began noticing the bugs...giant hidden in the jungle unknown species type bugs.

1. I'm the only user/administrator on my system but nautilus informs me I cannot change permissions because I am not "root"
2. My screen goes haywire for no apparent reasons with diagonal slashmarks across it.
3. I have lost "Paste Into Folder" as an option when cutting/copying and pasting files from my desktop to their more permanent location in my home.
4. My old home folder was my username. New home is Home which creates conflicts.
5. I've lost the ability to Print to PDF...one of the great features (before) in every Linux distro I've ever tried.
6. Trying to remove CUPS to reinstall only gets parts of CUPS install.
7. Getting WINE working is always a problem as Mint repositories are way behind, and getting the latest from WINE HQ broke some of my WINE apps. I hope I saved the version I've been using which works pretty well. 1.3.15

There have been other problems but what I really need to know is if I can easily revert to LM10 or LM11 by using the backed up /home and software selection that I used when "upgrading" to LM12. I could manually copy a couple of files, including my Thunderbird profile back to the backed up /home partition and then reinstall the older version. I just need to know if the Backup Tool in LM10 or LM11 will work with the existing backed up home and software selections which were based on LM11.

I'm a little removed from being a newbie but still learning. One thing I learned from this experience is IF YOU DON'T NEED TO UPGRADE DON'T! I've seen that warning but for newbies or folks who've been programmed to upgrade to the latest version (especially when it promises improvements) that point can't be emphasized enough. I think I still have my LM10 and LM11 CD/DVD's around. I'm going back to whichever promises to be the "stable release."

I hope this doesn't sound too "ranty" as I love MINT in general but I'm all done with upgrades for the foreseeable future. I've wondered why some folks who post in this forum are still back on versions prior to LM10. Now I think I know why.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

nige wrote:I have been using LM 11 for a little while. I have noticed a couple of comments regarding that there is no point upgrading to LM12. However, surely it is an advance on LM11. Can I do a simple install, upgrade to LM12, which will leave all my settings an data as it is with LM11 ? Or would I have to do a complete install and start from scratch. ? And if so is it better to do it from a LM12 disc (ie from the Linux magazine,) or download. ?

Cheers.
Hi,

Personally, I prefer to do a clean install when 'upgrading'. Especially considering the massive changes implemented in GNOME 3.

I cannot answer whether the "LM12 disc (ie from the Linux magazine,)" has a different ISO image from the one on the website. I've downloaded & installed from the Mint website & it's been running pretty well. (Note: On my ThinkPad, the trackpad and mic did not work during the first set of upgrades post-installation. But, after a restart everything works. (The mouse did work while the trackpad was unresponsive, so I had no issues.)

Of course, regardless how you choose to upgrade, please remember to make a backup, then backup the back, then backup the backup of the backup ... :) you get the picture...

Good luck.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

It's worth mentioning I think, that my main OS is openSUSE, but I always have a couple of installs of Mint in the mix. Using 11 on my box and I just installed 12 on my G550.

I have to say, especially as I see way too much hyperbole about the inadequacies of Mint 12, that I find Mint 12 fabulous.
Of all the distros out there using Gnome 3, this is way out in front.
It's a fantastic job that has been done in the name of usability and I praise you for it! Well done.

At least I can still push Mint to friends (which I often do). I'd put it down as probably the top distro out there, especially when you take in to account new users, Mint is really user friendly.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

krustybaguette wrote: 5. I've lost the ability to Print to PDF...one of the great features (before) in every Linux distro I've ever tried.
I use the Print to File option and save the document as a PDF file. But yes, the one-click print-to-pdf function would be nice.
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

caf4926 wrote:It's worth mentioning I think, that my main OS is openSUSE, but I always have a couple of installs of Mint in the mix. Using 11 on my box and I just installed 12 on my G550.

I have to say, especially as I see way too much hyperbole about the inadequacies of Mint 12, that I find Mint 12 fabulous.
Of all the distros out there using Gnome 3, this is way out in front.
It's a fantastic job that has been done in the name of usability and I praise you for it! Well done.

At least I can still push Mint to friends (which I often do). I'd put it down as probably the top distro out there, especially when you take in to account new users, Mint is really user friendly.
Same here. While Debian is my first love (distro-wise :) ) I'm impressed by the thought put into the Mint releases and the way the devs respond to the community's feedback. Regarding Mint 12, I might be crazy but I quite dig Gnome-shell. After installing Cairo-Dock and GNOME-Do, I feel zero loss of functionality. And there are those Shell extensions (https://extensions.gnome.org/) to help with the transition...

Major kudos to the devs...
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

wolverine_tech wrote:
krustybaguette wrote: 5. I've lost the ability to Print to PDF...one of the great features (before) in every Linux distro I've ever tried.
I use the Print to File option and save the document as a PDF file. But yes, the one-click print-to-pdf function would be nice.
Didn't work for me. Now I've gone all the way back to Isadora (LM9) as it's the stable release supported until Spring of 2013.
Unfortunately I lost some data when I changed my home from a directory to /home and used the partition that held my LM11 backup. I left "format" unchecked in the hope it would leave my data intact...but it didn't. I may look around and see if there's some data recovery software that will bring it back. I did have most of my data saved elsewhere, so it's not a total loss. Mostly just email from last March until yesterday. Naturally there are other issues to resolve but I'm glad to have Gnome 2 back in all its familiarity! Perhaps I'll install G3 as an alternative after I hear about bugs being worked out.

krustybaguette
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

krustybaguette wrote:...
Unfortunately I lost some data when I changed my home from a directory to /home and used the partition that held my LM11 backup. I left "format" unchecked in the hope it would leave my data intact...but it didn't. I may look around and see if there's some data recovery software that will bring it back. I did have most of my data saved elsewhere, so it's not a total loss. Mostly just email from last March until yesterday. Naturally there are other issues to resolve but I'm glad to have Gnome 2 back in all its familiarity! Perhaps I'll install G3 as an alternative after I hear about bugs being worked out.

krustybaguette
you must ALWAYS back up ALL important data on a "regular" basis - for me, that means the most sensitive monetary based data gets externally backed up immediately to thumb drives (all encrypted, of course). i have a listing of all other huge data repositories and back them up to an external hd less often. EVERYTHING gets backed up yet again whenever a massive change is in the works, such as installing/migrating a different os.
rhY

Post by rhY »

caf4926 wrote:Of all the distros out there using Gnome 3, this is way out in front.
LOL. What a qualifier! Of all the distros out there that totally suck, this is way out in front.

Not that I'm still complaining. I'm stoked that Clem is making cinnamon to address the NUMEROUS issues in gnome 3 and Mint 12, and very much looking forward to Mint 13 and beyond. Mint 12 will just be Mint ME, before a killer Mint XP shows up. :)
archiegoodwin

Post by archiegoodwin »

Re: Follow-up on screen lock-up. This continues to plague me. I use the suggested "sudo service lightdm restart" to re-boot the GUI, but the lock-ups now occur several times a day. One thing I have noticed is that the lock-ups always occur when I am playing a video (I subscribe to several video podcasts, and playing videos is an essential part of what I do with my laptop). Sometimes it happens when just the video is playing, but usually when I have other applications open, e.g. Open Office, Firefox, etc., while the video is playing. My Toshiba has an ATI card, and I suspect that might be the problem. Any fixes coming, or any suggestions anyone? Is it an ATI problem? Is it a Linux kernel problem? Is it a Gnome 3 problem?
Hugo Notte

Post by Hugo Notte »

andreamarts24 wrote:Wow! Glad to hear about the newly released Linux Mint! I am very much interested about Linux mint because my friend ask me to visit this forum. By the way I don't know on how to set up Linux Mint anyone will help me??
What do you mean, how to set it up? Do you need help installing it? Best might be to go to one of the more involved reviews, some of which explain very nicely the installation process step by step with screen shots. Have a look here http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2011/11/ ... x-mint-12/ for an english review or here http://www.zdnet.de/magazin/41558311/ub ... istest.htm in case you speak German.

Good luck & enjoy...
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Hugo Notte wrote:
andreamarts24 wrote:Wow! Glad to hear about the newly released Linux Mint! I am very much interested about Linux mint because my friend ask me to visit this forum. By the way I don't know on how to set up Linux Mint anyone will help me??
What do you mean, how to set it up? Do you need help installing it? Best might be to go to one of the more involved reviews, some of which explain very nicely the installation process step by step with screen shots. Have a look here http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2011/11/ ... x-mint-12/ for an english review or here http://www.zdnet.de/magazin/41558311/ub ... istest.htm in case you speak German.

Good luck & enjoy...
Hi!
andreamarts24 is a spammer. sorry...
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

dagon wrote:Hi!
andreamarts24 is a spammer. sorry...
My thoughts exactly!

Definately a SPAM sig line.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

andreasmarts24 - post deleted as spam.
xpmon

Post by xpmon »

installed mint4win lisa on windows 7 after a problem I had to do a clean install of windows
except linuxmint files is still there as well as the option of it in the boot menu
sorta scared to see what happens if I try to open it.

also as I mentioned a clean install of windows so there is no mention in the program list to
uni-install
pvbrandes

Post by pvbrandes »

My experience going from Mint 11 to Mint 12 is not so great. I don't like not being able to customize the panels anymore in Gnome 3, and there are too many desktop options to choose from. I have no idea which is the best to use. Also, I used the Advanced Settings control panel to change the fonts in Gnome 3, and since have not been able to launch Advanced Settings again to change the fonts back. I click the program icon and it starts for a half second, then disappears. I also had a problem with the fonts in the top panel corrupting when I activated a graphics card driver. It went away after I deactivated it, but what was that about? I miss the view options icon in folder windows too. Guess I'm forced to use the control + number keys to switch folder views, but that doesn't even work with the number keys on the numerical keypad -- bad decision in my lowly opinion. Can't set functions for my additional mouse buttons either. But that seems to be a linux issue with all distros. It seems to me that Mint 12 was not tested enough before it's release. I think Gnome 3 needs to mature before it's stable -- but it's still better than the Unity desktop. I find Mint 11 more configurable and reliable.
r0berto

Post by r0berto »

pvbrandes wrote:My experience going from Mint 11 to Mint 12 is not so great. I don't like not being able to customize the panels anymore in Gnome 3, and there are too many desktop options to choose from. I have no idea which is the best to use. Also, I used the Advanced Settings control panel to change the fonts in Gnome 3, and since have not been able to launch Advanced Settings again to change the fonts back. I click the program icon and it starts for a half second, then disappears. I also had a problem with the fonts in the top panel corrupting when I activated a graphics card driver. It went away after I deactivated it, but what was that about? I miss the view options icon in folder windows too. Guess I'm forced to use the control + number keys to switch folder views, but that doesn't even work with the number keys on the numerical keypad -- bad decision in my lowly opinion. Can't set functions for my additional mouse buttons either. But that seems to be a linux issue with all distros. It seems to me that Mint 12 was not tested enough before it's release. I think Gnome 3 needs to mature before it's stable -- but it's still better than the Unity desktop. I find Mint 11 more configurable and reliable.
Have you tried logging into the MATE environment? Might be just what you are looking for.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”