Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
gothicpreston

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Post by gothicpreston »

As I only came to Linux with Mint11, could someone provide the "upgrade" instructions to allow me to move to LM12 which are currently hiding behind the off-line community server at present down for maintenance, please.
Many thanks
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Upgrade instructions: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

I don't think the community site is down, I just found the upgrade instructions there.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

wolverine_tech wrote:
Nippon wrote:Gnome shell is amazing and very intuitive, i already adjust my mint 12 to my needs, only problem i got is this:
http://i44.tinypic.com/olnv8.png
That all strange double ugly icons, including old software appear like xeye or eye of gnome, when i install skype from softweare manage, in the middle of downloading, gnome shell disappear and after a second appear again but with this mess under applications/all gnome shell menu, how to get rid of that, its looking horrible?

I too have fuzzy, double icons. The 'horrible' double icons are a problem with Gnome-Shell. I'm sure they'll sort it out in the next few revisions.

Unfortunately, at present, I do not know how to get rid of them.
The ugly second icons you see are from a hidden "Debian" menu that only shows up when you view "Applications" under "Activities as your image shows. I had the same thing. What you have to do is to install "Alacarte" (Main Menu menu editor) via Synaptic. Once installed, search for "Main Menu" in either the new Mint Menu or Gnome-shell Activites. When the menu editor window comes up you'll find a "Debian" entry in the left sidebar. Click on the arrow beside the entry to expand the items under "Debian" and you'll see a long list of folders, some having arrows beside them as well. This where it gets tedious. You have to open each one of these folders in the left hand pane including expanding the sub-folders with the arrow beside them and, in the right hand area, uncheck all the items that exist in each and every folder (for some reason you can't just uncheck the main folders under "Debian", it always rechecks itself.

In short, you have to uncheck everything under "Debian" in the Main Menu app but you only have to do it once.

Caveat: Gnome-shell may crash and not recover while doing the above (both panels disappear but windows remain active). Don't worry about it just finish unchecking those items under "Debian". Once complete then on the keyboard, 'ctrl-alt-delete' may bring up the logout dialog box. If so, then logout and back in and you're done. If 'ctrl-alt-delete' gives no response then try 'ctrl-alt-F1' which is guaranteed to drop you to a command prompt. Login with your username and password (you'll probably not see a flashing cursor so just type) and at the resulting command prompt type:

Code: Select all

sudo service lightdm restart
Enter your password and you'll be taken to LM 12's login screen. You can login to your desktop from there.

Yeah, I know. A lot of info there but once you read it over it's all rather simple. Unchecking all those menu items under "Debian" is the tedious part of it. It really cleans up your Applications page though without losing any functionality. Hope it helps. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
iustus

Post by iustus »

Iustus escribe:

Para Mint 12 como para la anterior Mint 11 no tengo más que felicitaciones !
Unos trabajos realmente hechos a conciencia ya desde el uso en Live DVD se ve el esmero

EXCELENTES LAS DOS - MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS

[Literal Translation by Forum Moderator:]
Iustus writes:

For Mint 12 as for the previous Mint 11 I have only congratulations!
A few works really done in conscience, already - from the use in Live DVD the care is seen.

BOTH ARE EXCELLENT ... MANY THANKS
benny59

Post by benny59 »

Hi you all,
I really like the new release. I have a little problem: my netbook Compaq Mini is 1024x600 and the new top bar doesn't allow me to access low buttons.
Can you please give me some suggestions on how can use these hidden buttons.

Regards and congratulations
benny
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

kmb42vt wrote:
The ugly second icons you see are from a hidden "Debian" menu that only shows up when you view "Applications" under "Activities as your image shows. I had the same thing. What you have to do is to install "Alacarte" (Main Menu menu editor) via Synaptic. Once installed, search for "Main Menu" in either the new Mint Menu or Gnome-shell Activites. When the menu editor window comes up you'll find a "Debian" entry in the left sidebar. Click on the arrow beside the entry to expand the items under "Debian" and you'll see a long list of folders, some having arrows beside them as well. This where it gets tedious. You have to open each one of these folders in the left hand pane including expanding the sub-folders with the arrow beside them and, in the right hand area, uncheck all the items that exist in each and every folder (for some reason you can't just uncheck the main folders under "Debian", it always rechecks itself.
Awesome! Worked like a charm... no crashes. Thank you so much kmb42vt!

Is this duplication specific to Mint/Ubuntu or all Debian-based distros?

Thanks again.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

benny59 wrote:Hi you all,
I really like the new release. I have a little problem: my netbook Compaq Mini is 1024x600 and the new top bar doesn't allow me to access low buttons.
Can you please give me some suggestions on how can use these hidden buttons.

Regards and congratulations
benny
Press the Alt key and click on a window to drag it up.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

wolverine_tech wrote:
kmb42vt wrote:
Awesome! Worked like a charm... no crashes. Thank you so much kmb42vt!

Is this duplication specific to Mint/Ubuntu or all Debian-based distros?

Thanks again.
Actually I've found it unique to gnome-shell as the "Activities/Applications screen in gnome-shell is the only time I've seen those "Debian" menu icons listed. If you'll notice, in the "Main Menu" app when it first opens, the "Debian" entry is actually unchecked and it's the same for Ubuntu and Debian as well as the same in Linux Mint (main edition) versions previous to 12 as well as LMDE. Neither the new Mint Menu in 12 nor the Gnome 2/Mate style Mint menu shows these icons. Even the old Ubuntu/Gnome 2 style menus in "Fallback" mode don't show them but for some reason gnome-shell picks them in it's "Applications" screen. Probably could be considered a bug?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
wolverine_tech

Post by wolverine_tech »

Hmm... seems like a bug to me.

Wow, I had no clue about Alacarte... all my Linux experience has been based on pure Debian, & I saw similar (kind of) duplication when installing Openbox over the Default GNOME 2.x on Debian, but the Debian menu was clearly shown then.

Mint fooled me on this one :)

Would be interesting to see what happens when GNOME 3 trickles into my Debian Testing setup....
LMDE (haven't used it, but very curious) might see some upheavals too, but I guess the Update Packs will 'cushion the blow'.

Thanks again for the tip.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

wolverine_tech wrote:Hmm... seems like a bug to me.

Wow, I had no clue about Alacarte... all my Linux experience has been based on pure Debian, & I saw similar (kind of) duplication when installing Openbox over the Default GNOME 2.x on Debian, but the Debian menu was clearly shown then.

Mint fooled me on this one :)

Would be interesting to see what happens when GNOME 3 trickles into my Debian Testing setup....
LMDE (haven't used it, but very curious) might see some upheavals too, but I guess the Update Packs will 'cushion the blow'.

Thanks again for the tip.
If you're hooked to the LMDE Update Packs rather than pure Testing, the word is that Update Pack 4 will include both Gnome3/shell/MGSE and MATE. When that occurs though is anyone's guess. LMDE is my main distro right now and is current at Update Pack 3. Probably should boot into it and check updates now that I think about it. I've been using 12 since the RC release.
archiegoodwin

Post by archiegoodwin »

A few observations, and one problem. In general, very impressive. I miss some of the Mint 11 functionality, and I hope that more Shell Extensions are rapidly developed to bring back some of the panel & other options. One thing that is glaringly missing (unless I simply can't figure out how to do it), is the ability to create executable launchers either on the desktop or the panel. This is vital to productivity. Finally, I have run into one software problem. I connect every day to a remote computer in Los Angeles, using the Remote Desktop Client. It worked flawlessly under both Mint 10 & 11. With Lisa I can't connect, and get an error message which says "getaddrinfo: Name or service not known." I googled the error message, and it seems to have something to do with DNS servers, but the point is that this is the same lap-top, the same internet provider, and the same settings that I used to connect under Mint 11, and it no longer works.

Otherwise, terrific work. Better than either Unity or the vanilla Gnome 3 Shell.

Archie
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

archiegoodwin wrote:A few observations, and one problem. In general, very impressive. I miss some of the Mint 11 functionality, and I hope that more Shell Extensions are rapidly developed to bring back some of the panel & other options. One thing that is glaringly missing (unless I simply can't figure out how to do it), is the ability to create executable launchers either on the desktop or the panel. This is vital to productivity. Finally, I have run into one software problem. I connect every day to a remote computer in Los Angeles, using the Remote Desktop Client. It worked flawlessly under both Mint 10 & 11. With Lisa I can't connect, and get an error message which says "getaddrinfo: Name or service not known." I googled the error message, and it seems to have something to do with DNS servers, but the point is that this is the same lap-top, the same internet provider, and the same settings that I used to connect under Mint 11, and it no longer works.

Otherwise, terrific work. Better than either Unity or the vanilla Gnome 3 Shell.

Archie
I can't help you on the Remote Desktop problem as I don't currently have need to use it but the lack of creating launchers on the gnome-shell desktop is a lack in Gnome 3 and not Mint. By what I understand though, this feature should be included in the near future. As a work around though you can log into MATE and create your launchers there as MATE still has this capability (it's a fork of Gnome 2.32 after all). The launchers you create on the MATE desktop will carry over into default Gnome3/shell/MGSE once you logout from MATE and back into "Gnome".
sagarchandratrey

Post by sagarchandratrey »

I am not able to create a DSL connection in Mint 12..POsting this from Mint 11.

The network settings dialog box has changed in 12..looks very different from the one in mint 11..But I am not able to find the tab to create a DSL connetion..

Please help.
archiegoodwin

Post by archiegoodwin »

kmb42vt wrote:
archiegoodwin wrote:A few observations, and one problem. In general, very impressive. I miss some of the Mint 11 functionality, and I hope that more Shell Extensions are rapidly developed to bring back some of the panel & other options. One thing that is glaringly missing (unless I simply can't figure out how to do it), is the ability to create executable launchers either on the desktop or the panel. This is vital to productivity. Finally, I have run into one software problem. I connect every day to a remote computer in Los Angeles, using the Remote Desktop Client. It worked flawlessly under both Mint 10 & 11. With Lisa I can't connect, and get an error message which says "getaddrinfo: Name or service not known." I googled the error message, and it seems to have something to do with DNS servers, but the point is that this is the same lap-top, the same internet provider, and the same settings that I used to connect under Mint 11, and it no longer works.

Archie
I can't help you on the Remote Desktop problem as I don't currently have need to use it but the lack of creating launchers on the gnome-shell desktop is a lack in Gnome 3 and not Mint. By what I understand though, this feature should be included in the near future. As a work around though you can log into MATE and create your launchers there as MATE still has this capability (it's a fork of Gnome 2.32 after all). The launchers you create on the MATE desktop will carry over into default Gnome3/shell/MGSE once you logout from MATE and back into "Gnome".
I went into Mate to create the launcher as you suggested, and by chance also tried to launch my remote desktop connection. It worked! So it works in Mate, but not in Gnome Shell. Hmmm... One other thing I have noticed is that none of the calendar alarms work. I use the Evolution calendar, and normally an appointment results in a pop-up message, but this doesn't seem to work either with the Evolution calendar or the Google calendar. But I do now have application shortcuts, and a way to access the Remote desktop through Mate. Thanks
Nippon

Post by Nippon »

For gnome 3 under mint 12 i should look for "gnome shell" themes or gtk3+? Whats the difference? I got this in gnome-look.org
Artichoke

Post by Artichoke »

Well Clem, I did it. To somebody else. I've loaded 12 onto a friend's laptop since she was desperate to escape the glacially slow clutches of Windows Vista. She's very happy, coming from the lowest circle of hell, being a non-techie, and basically only ever using Firefox. However, I'm not convinced and won't be changing any time soon. The lack of configuration is very frustrating after Mint 11. Never mind the Gnome Dash, why can't I put my icons on the desktop? And that's just for starters. How do I put launchers on the top and bottom bars? What about... never mind, I'm sure you've heard it all by now. Let it suffice for me to say that getting home to my Mint 11 PC, from where I'm writing this post, was a huge relief.

MGSE is a step in the right direction, but it doesn't go far enough for me. However I want to applaud you for all the work you've done to try and ease us into the new system. But I think I might be inclined to give MATE a try a bit further down the track when some of the bugs have been ironed out. For now I simply cannot go past the simple, uncluttered pleasure of Gnome 2.32 on Mint 11.
attila964

Post by attila964 »

sagarchandratrey wrote:I am not able to create a DSL connection in Mint 12..POsting this from Mint 11.

The network settings dialog box has changed in 12..looks very different from the one in mint 11..But I am not able to find the tab to create a DSL connetion..

Please help.
Hi! You must open a terminal, and type: nm-connection-editor
You should become the old networkmanager settings window.
telinux48

Post by telinux48 »

Thanks Clem! This looks to be one of, if not the best release yet!
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

attila964 wrote:
sagarchandratrey wrote:I am not able to create a DSL connection in Mint 12..POsting this from Mint 11.

Please help.
Hi! You must open a terminal, and type: nm-connection-editor
You should become the old networkmanager settings window.
You can also bring up the either menu and search for "network" and the search results will show only two items; "Net work Tools" and "Network Connections". The one you want is "Network Connections". :)
DORowell

Post by DORowell »

Hooray for MATE! :D It isn't any more ugly than my Mint 11 desktop which I CAN NOW duplicate! Ok, so I've been able to crash it once big deal.

I'm using MATE because I wasn't happy with the Gnome/Mint desktop and way of doing business but wanted to use the new software.

A BIG thank you to the developers and those who thoughtfully included it in the Mint 12 distro.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”