Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby pvbrandes on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:06 pm

My experience going from Mint 11 to Mint 12 is not so great. I don't like not being able to customize the panels anymore in Gnome 3, and there are too many desktop options to choose from. I have no idea which is the best to use. Also, I used the Advanced Settings control panel to change the fonts in Gnome 3, and since have not been able to launch Advanced Settings again to change the fonts back. I click the program icon and it starts for a half second, then disappears. I also had a problem with the fonts in the top panel corrupting when I activated a graphics card driver. It went away after I deactivated it, but what was that about? I miss the view options icon in folder windows too. Guess I'm forced to use the control + number keys to switch folder views, but that doesn't even work with the number keys on the numerical keypad -- bad decision in my lowly opinion. Can't set functions for my additional mouse buttons either. But that seems to be a linux issue with all distros. It seems to me that Mint 12 was not tested enough before it's release. I think Gnome 3 needs to mature before it's stable -- but it's still better than the Unity desktop. I find Mint 11 more configurable and reliable.
pvbrandes
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:44 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby r0berto on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:02 am

pvbrandes wrote:My experience going from Mint 11 to Mint 12 is not so great. I don't like not being able to customize the panels anymore in Gnome 3, and there are too many desktop options to choose from. I have no idea which is the best to use. Also, I used the Advanced Settings control panel to change the fonts in Gnome 3, and since have not been able to launch Advanced Settings again to change the fonts back. I click the program icon and it starts for a half second, then disappears. I also had a problem with the fonts in the top panel corrupting when I activated a graphics card driver. It went away after I deactivated it, but what was that about? I miss the view options icon in folder windows too. Guess I'm forced to use the control + number keys to switch folder views, but that doesn't even work with the number keys on the numerical keypad -- bad decision in my lowly opinion. Can't set functions for my additional mouse buttons either. But that seems to be a linux issue with all distros. It seems to me that Mint 12 was not tested enough before it's release. I think Gnome 3 needs to mature before it's stable -- but it's still better than the Unity desktop. I find Mint 11 more configurable and reliable.


Have you tried logging into the MATE environment? Might be just what you are looking for.
Lenovo T61 laptop | Core 2 Duo T7300 | 4GiB RAM | 128GiB SSD | Mint 12 Gnome 64bit
r0berto
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby joez on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:33 am

Disappointed with Ubuntu 11.04 we began searching for a more acceptable Linux distribution, and gave the Linux Mint 11 live DVD a try which we found preferable, and decided to wait for Linux Mint 12 as it was soon to be released. Once Linux Mint 12 was released, we downloaded the DVD iso and wanted to check it out before installing on ALL of our systems, and began with an IBM ThinkPad R40, with ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY graphics, which we had used to test Linux Mint 11 Live, and found Linux Mint 12 would boot but only produce a Desktop with 3 icons after momentarily flashing a bottom panel and then lock up if any of the 3 icons were clicked on.
We have found many links complaining of similar problems with Linux Mint 12, but have not found any solutions yet. Is this problem going to be solved, or has it been recognized and solved already? If so would someone please inform us where to find the solution so we can proceed testing Linux Mint 12 Live DVD prior to installing?
joez
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby fearnot on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi I installed Linux Mint 12 onto my ACER Extensa 5620 when it came to the normal updates the Touch pad seized up whats up with that?
fearnot
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby rfd on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:09 pm

joez wrote:Disappointed with Ubuntu 11.04 we began searching for a more acceptable Linux distribution, and gave the Linux Mint 11 live DVD a try which we found preferable, and decided to wait for Linux Mint 12 as it was soon to be released. Once Linux Mint 12 was released, we downloaded the DVD iso and wanted to check it out before installing on ALL of our systems, and began with an IBM ThinkPad R40, with ATI Radeon Mobility M6 LY graphics, which we had used to test Linux Mint 11 Live, and found Linux Mint 12 would boot but only produce a Desktop with 3 icons after momentarily flashing a bottom panel and then lock up if any of the 3 icons were clicked on.
We have found many links complaining of similar problems with Linux Mint 12, but have not found any solutions yet. Is this problem going to be solved, or has it been recognized and solved already? If so would someone please inform us where to find the solution so we can proceed testing Linux Mint 12 Live DVD prior to installing?


there are known severe issues with mint12/gnome3 and amd/atii graphics cards. avoid mint12 and you will avoid those issues.

mint11/gnome2 should work, but you may have restricted screen resolutions.

i find mint10 better, more complete and tweakable, for me than mint11.

having the latest version of any software release may not be best for you - try out/exercise versions mint9 thru mint11 and see what best fits your machines and needs.
rfd
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby joez on Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:48 am

rfd wrote:there are known severe issues with mint12/gnome3 and amd/atii graphics cards. avoid mint12 and you will avoid those issues.

mint11/gnome2 should work, but you may have restricted screen resolutions.

i find mint10 better, more complete and tweakable, for me than mint11.

having the latest version of any software release may not be best for you - try out/exercise versions mint9 thru mint11 and see what best fits your machines and needs.


Are you saying these problems will receive no attention in mint12?

The latest versions of the programs I use are the only ones which are compatible with my needs. There would be little gained moving to an older version of Mint as my current install of Ubuntu 11.04 contains patched versions of the programs I work with.
joez
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby kmb42vt on Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:32 pm

joez wrote:
rfd wrote:there are known severe issues with mint12/gnome3 and amd/atii graphics cards. avoid mint12 and you will avoid those issues.

mint11/gnome2 should work, but you may have restricted screen resolutions.

i find mint10 better, more complete and tweakable, for me than mint11.

having the latest version of any software release may not be best for you - try out/exercise versions mint9 thru mint11 and see what best fits your machines and needs.


Are you saying these problems will receive no attention in mint12?

The latest versions of the programs I use are the only ones which are compatible with my needs. There would be little gained moving to an older version of Mint as my current install of Ubuntu 11.04 contains patched versions of the programs I work with.


The problems with ATI video cards/on-board GPUs and their drivers is hardly isolated with Linux 12. ATI has had a history of providing slipshod Linux video drivers for a number of years. For 2D requirements most folks didn't have a problem with their ATI video hardware and the Linux drivers but as soon as they switched on any sort or compositing (Gnome/KDE for instance) or installed and enabled Compiz the problems started. They're are those who haven't experienced problems but in my experience they are a definite minority.

Unfortunately, Gnome 3's gnome-shell currently requires 3D support and I'm not sure why the live session didn't automatically drop back to the (2D) Fallback mode but it's not something I can test as I run strictly Nvidia video hardware (sorry about that). Anyway, the blame falls mostly on ATI and not Linux Mint 12. Mint is hardly the only distro that suffers when it comes to ATI video hardware and their poor quality drivers.

Since you wish to install it on all of your systems you may want to try a live session on another machine more up to date than an old Thinkpad R40. You're really asking a lot from Linux Mint 12 to run on a machine with a single core CPU, 256 MB of memory (standard) and ATI Radeon 7000/16MB or Radeon 7500/32 MB video hardware. That laptop was manufactured in 2003.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby joez on Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:54 pm

System requirements for Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" shown below were obtained from the following link, http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port

Nowhere is it stated that a 3D graphics card is required, and based upon that information all of our systems meet the requirements, which is why we became interested in Linux Mint.

If a 3D capable graphics card is, and will be a requirement of future upgrades, that information should be stated.

Can someone please answer my question with an authoritative "yes" or "no" that systems incapable of 3D graphics will no longer be supported by Linux Mint?
joez
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:28 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby jj1two3 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:57 pm

I went from Fedora 16 to Linux Mint 12 and I really love it. It is a really awesome Operating System. It is so much easier to use than Fedora. :D
jj1two3
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby Monsta on Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:52 pm

joez wrote:System requirements for Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" shown below were obtained from the following link, http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889

x86 processor (Linux Mint 64-bit requires a 64-bit processor. Linux Mint 32-bit works on both 32-bit and 64-bit processors).
512 MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
5 GB of disk space
Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution
CD/DVD drive or USB port

Things are a little more complicated here. Instead of one, Linux Mint 12 comes with two desktop environments - and three session options.

First and second options are Gnome 3 variants - Gnome Shell and Gnome Classic/Fallback mode. Gnome Shell is the default one and it's chosen if Gnome determines you have an appropriate video card with 3D support. If not, it switches to the Classic mode which doesn't require 3D support. The devil, as usual, is in the details. Gnome Shell isn't as stable as it should be, ATI cards usually cause more problems than Nvidia ones, Gnome may decide your card is fine for running Gnome Shell while in fact it's not, etc etc.

Try pressing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace when the desktop is loaded (doesn't matter if it's locked up or something). Does it work? If it does, you can then choose Gnome Classic mode.

The third option is MATE. It's basically Gnome 2 fork so it provides the same look and feel as good old Gnome 2. This one has the lowest system requirements of all three, and no 3D at all. Unfortunately, Mint 12 release notes page states you can't run MATE from live session.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2415
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby rfd on Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:19 pm

the bottom line for me is ....

AMD - m12/gnome3 is a disaster with most amd products. i could care less about mate. if the entire product doesn't work well, stop offering it until it IS a quality product. most amd products will work with mx/gnome2, but there can be limitations such as restricted screen resolutions and not recognizing or working well with other hardware.

INTEL - all of mintland works as advertised with intel and non-amd/ati hardware, but m12 still isn't near as productive as m10, for me.
rfd
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby fearnot on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi I found another problem with Linux Mint 12 when you try to type anything in the Software Manager you get the first word in but after that it doesn't let you add any more or you can't get the mouse inside that Window whats up with that I tried everything I can think of but with no success is there a fix for this?
fearnot
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby kmb42vt on Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:26 pm

fearnot wrote:Hi I found another problem with Linux Mint 12 when you try to type anything in the Software Manager you get the first word in but after that it doesn't let you add any more or you can't get the mouse inside that Window whats up with that I tried everything I can think of but with no success is there a fix for this?


Hmm, not seeing this. I opened the Software Manager and typed "google earth" without a problem. A couple of seconds later the search results list came up. I clicked in the search field again, backspaced my search terms out and typed in "image" and the search results list for anything to do with image/imaging came up, again with no problem. This is on a 64-bit installation of LM 12. Not sure why you're seeing this. Are you in the default Gnome (gnome-shell) DE, Fallback mode or MATE?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby rfd on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:08 pm

fearnot wrote:Hi I found another problem with Linux Mint 12 when you try to type anything in the Software Manager you get the first word in but after that it doesn't let you add any more or you can't get the mouse inside that Window whats up with that I tried everything I can think of but with no success is there a fix for this?


it's not just an issue w/m12, i found that same bug in m10 and m11.
rfd
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby LoneWolf_53 on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:27 pm

I don't see that issue the way it's described.

Sometimes Software Manager is a bit slow showing what I've typed into the box, as in I type fast and it'll show the first three letters, and then nothing, when in fact I've typed more and finished, but I give it a couple of seconds then the all the text appears, and it brings up the search results.

I've noted that right from the start.

Now what I have noticed a number of times in LM12 is my Gnome3 desktop freezing up and not responding. When it does that I can still move the mouse cursor and when I hover over icons they will change but clicking on them will do nothing, nor will clicking on anything else on the desktop.

At that point I generally end up having to Ctrl + Alt + F2 then reboot and it will be fine again.
User avatar
LoneWolf_53
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:06 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby kmb42vt on Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:43 pm

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I don't see that issue the way it's described.
....
Now what I have noticed a number of times in LM12 is my Gnome3 desktop freezing up and not responding. When it does that I can still move the mouse cursor and when I hover over icons they will change but clicking on them will do nothing, nor will clicking on anything else on the desktop.

At that point I generally end up having to Ctrl + Alt + F2 then reboot and it will be fine again.


A bit faster way of doing this is to Ctrl + Alt + F1 to a command prompt, login and type:

Code: Select all
sudo service lightdm restart


That will get you back to the login splash screen and you can log into your desktop the normal way. Saves having to reboot each time gnome-shell crashes and fails to restart.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
User avatar
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 925
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:15 am
Location: Vermont

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby LoneWolf_53 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:51 pm

I shall write that down and use it, Thank You. :)
User avatar
LoneWolf_53
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:06 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby Agent Twelve on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

After Fedora 16 borked today, I decided to go back to Linux Mint due to the excellent reviews I have been reading. So far, so good. Excellent distro thus far. Bravo on all of your hard work!
Freedom is upon us...
User avatar
Agent Twelve
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:23 am

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby water spirit on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:49 pm

It is Gnome 3 causing problems with AMD/ATI cards regardless of which distro I have used, so my ATI card is now in a Nvidia box, the one my new replacement Nvidia card came in. Just my opinion.
Image
Image
water spirit
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:32 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" released!

Postby ddalley on Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:31 pm

LinuxMint is having an astronomical success!

I went to download a torrent from a well known torrent provider and more people were downloading LM than are on the Internet, so space aliens must be downloading LM, too! :mrgreen: :shock:

Image

4.3 billion downloaders should keep LM at the top of DistroWatch for a while, eh?
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:25 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests