mintBackup 1.1 released in Romeo

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

mintBackup 1.1 released in Romeo

Post by clem »

Hi,

mintBackup 1.1 was released in Romeo.

Changes:

- HIG. Graphical improvements (Cancel button is now on the left - Gnome standard)
- Better exception handling. MintBackup should now report any problem to the user.
- New translations added. MintBackup now supports the following languages: de, el, es, fr, nb, nl, pl, pt_BR, pt_PT, sv.

How to install it:

- Make sure to have the Romeo repository in your sources.list
- Upgrade to the newest mintbackup (apt update; apt install mintbackup)

Translations:

mintBackup 1.1 already supports a few languages. If your language is listed make sure to test it and report eventual problems. If it isn't, then make sure to contribute your translation.

mintBackup 1.1 uses the same translation file as mintBackup 1.0, so use this thread to translate it into new languages: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... =43&t=8221

Bugs and feedback:

This is going to be part of Elyssa so don't hesitate to report bugs or feedback by replying to this thread.

mintBackup reached code-freeze. No additional work is planned for it.

Clem.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: mintBackup 1.1 released in Romeo

Post by newW2 »

No problem with install. Ran backup, with no problems.
AlsaPhil

Post by AlsaPhil »

everything is ok :wink:
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

See topic in Newbies - two of us have failed to find mintBackups after adding Romeo to our sources.list in Celena.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It will work in KDE, however it's planned for Elyssa, not for Daryna.

Clem
Erlik

Post by Erlik »

This release is good news.

I find that Linux mint is one of the best distro for newbies (Celena was the first distro I really used) because most things are preinstalled (multimedia, flash), the proprietary software such as Skype is easy to install thanks to mintinstall and the mint tools are easy to use. However as I used it I realised it would be difficult to maintain.

The problem is that a lot of peoples don't have the knowledge (or the time) to perform a reinstall from CD to upgrade from release to realease. If I want to get the benefits from darynya, I need to backup my profile (assuming I have an external HDD), reinstall from CD, reinstall any extra packages and / or drivers (and that means doing the ndiswraper thing again), then restore my home drive. And then again if I want to upgrade to the LTS...

Lets be honnest, the average user won't do that. What is needed is a release that can be installed / preinstalled on someone's computer, and that will be upgraded / kept up to date automatically for the lifetime of the computer (3 to 5 years for most users) without intervention of somebody knowledgeable in linux / computers. Mintbackup is a step in the right direction, but what I think is needed in the future is an automated backup and upgrade system!

Don't get me wrong, it is probably better to reinstall each release from scratch, but it's a luxury you only have with knowledgeable users, not with normal users. What worries me is that Unbuntu seems to be the only distro that seems to realise that, and even they can't seems to get it right 100% of the time.

I remember reading on an ubuntu forum an users who was on the LTS (dapper I think) and who wanted to install a new application, only the application was only available from Edgy. The users seems really worried at having to upgrade to Edgy and download all those packages. In the end he probably did it (after all it's only pushing a button and praying it works, something users are used to with windows), but he certainly would have given up if he had to do an manual backup and upgrade.

Mint is the best at welcoming new users, but once the users are there, and Mint should focus on keeping these users up to date without 'technical' interventions, and mintbackup is definitely a step in the right direction, but more steps are probably needed. Now this is my personal point of view, resulting from my personal experience, don't flame me if you disagree...
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

Erlik, you have some good points you shared with us.

Unfortunately Mint has a very small development team and has done a very amazingly great job with the elegant Mint artwork, the Ubuntu base, mintMenu, the Mint tools, and an OS with a great feel.

If one stops and thinks about it, the Microsoft releases have been in the past anywhere from one year to four year release cycles. In between of course they have their security patches, service packs ect. But even Microsoft does not have a true upgrade process. Yes, I know for instance that Win98 users could upgrade to WinXP home, but it required a $200 purchase of a upgrade to WinXP CD.....ooooouch !

Because of the quick Linux distros turn-around (usually six months), it would be nice to be able to upgrade to the next release with a one click button in the tray.

Be patient, most likely all Linux distros will come up with a universal method of upgrading that will just plain work. We do not need to have a upgrade button that renders your OS unstable.

Ooops, I guess this is a little off-topic !
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Erlik: I completely agree with you and I'd like to say the following:

- We will develop an upgrade tool.

- The people you describe will be interested in the LTS releases and should jump from one LTS to another using this tool.

- We should look at the Windows world and realize that most people didn't upgrade their XP OS for about 4 or 5 years... and still, these same people are used to run very recent software (Firefox 2.x, OpenOffice 2.3.x, etc etc..). To provide the same level of comfort we'll need to provide a way for people using 3 years old LTS releases to still get access to new software.. and this is what we'll do. Firefox, OpenOffice and so on will be made available not only for the latest version of Mint, but also for the latest LTS version of Mint.

Thanks for the feedback. We all agree on the need to improve in this area and we will work on it.

Clem.
yehudah

Post by yehudah »

Great posts.

I resemble the remark about windows users. I've migrated to linux after YEARS of fighting with MS operating systems.

What chokes is that I've been distro hopping, looking for the one distro that suits me. I found that in Mint. BUT, with new releases on the horizon, and reading up on other new distros', I wonder where I'll go next, and if I'll have to or not.

What I'd like to do is stick with a linux distro that is stable and maintained, for at least 6 months to a year. When I'm ready to move on, or up, I'll rip an ISO DVD, in case I don't like where I went. What I'd like more is to have the ability to easily upgrade to the next edition of a distro (not sure that is possible), via some app on my box.

I'm happy to see that Clem is working on that... that makes it more probable that I'll stick close to Mint.

Good work.... I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes next in this strain of linux.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”