Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Post by clem »

merlwiz79 wrote:Looks like someone made a version of this for the Eee PC.
http://www.3eportal.com/index.php?optio ... 6&Itemid=1
http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=10126
Waoo.. very nice :)
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

It appears that this is the only place to post error reports on Daryna CE KDE beta 044, as there does not seem to be a specific error report thread. If am wrong on this, please displace my post and let me know where you put it. Also. please abstain from asking me the usual questions like verifying the burning of the DVD and similar stuff, I would not post before having verified such aspects.

The following holds AFTER an installation was performed:

1) The fact that su is available as an option is great, and I have chosen it. Unfortunately, it only works halfway. Some scientific programs could be install easely as su on the command line, but the root password did not work for kwifimanager. The password which finally worked was the user password, not the root password I was asked to type. Moreover, at a single occasion, the root password suddenly worked, but neither before nor afterwards, which is crazy. And please, abstain from suggesting that I confuse the two passwords.

2) Why did I need to open kwifimanager several times? Because configuring wireless simply does not work, or rather, applications cannot use the wireless after it is configered. This applications include ping for my router, Mozilla, and Konqueror. Kwifimanager, on the other hand, does see my wireless LAN, and it gives me the signal strength, ESSID (which is not broadcast), etc.

The following holds BEFORE I install, when working from the live DVD:

1) I create a document in OOo, write a text, and store it as odf and as pdf on the Desktop. Both files do not show up on the Desktop, though they are both in the Desktop folder.
Now, this is so for four out of the five computers on which I tested Mint KDE live repeatedly, but not for an old Shuttle, where both documents show up reliably on the Desktop (!).
It is intersting to note that Kubuntu 7.10, which I consider a joke of a final release in view of such basic problems, does exactly the same thing, reliably.

2) I can correctly configure wireless (with WEP) fromm the live DVD with kwifimanager. Ping works for my router from the live DVD, Mozilla can get on the internet, but Konqueror cannot. Konqueror cannot even get onto the local network with an IP adresses explicitely typed, which proves that this is not a DNS problem. Again, the Kubuntu 7.10 final release joke shows exactly the same behaviour.

I consider the KDE version of Mint as very promising as there is hardly any KDE based distribution with access to an up-to-date and nevertheless stable Debian/Ubuntu repository. So, hopefully, these (and maybe other ones which I did not come accross) problems can get sorted out in a final rlease.

Thanks for your work.

hopeful
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Fred
The UUID thing is not really a bug in this beta - I consider it a bug in Ubuntu and something we can't avoid inheriting
This is also why I wrote the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _a_problem
As for the placement of the file for gfxgrub this is a known problem and I think it's best placed where it is now (in etc) If we're discussing different files, sorry...
Fred

Post by Fred »

Husse,

Point taken on inheriting the problem from Ubuntu. I was only suggesting a short warning message maybe pointing to the wiki. It was just an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.

The file I was referring to is "message.mint". I can see not removing it from "/etc/grub/". My suggestion was to duplicate it in "/boot/grub/". Then make the gfxmenu line "gfxmenu=/grub/message.mint". I don't see how this will cause problems but I could be missing something. If that is the case I stand corrected. :-)

Thanks for the response,

Fred

Post by Guest »

Install icon doesn't start !!!
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Well after numerous attempts to install KDE CE on an HP Pavilion zt3050ea I give up. The installer doesn't even begin whatever I do. The dvd is ok (checked the iso and reburn it twice). So, this even buggier to me than the 11 beta.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

How could I install KDE CE version from inside the main edition? Like apt-get install kubuntu-desktop in ubuntu for example?

Post by Guest »

Slapshot wrote:
subslug wrote:
urbangeo wrote:I'm seeding the torrent right now.
Hmm.... maybe something on my end, bit torrent was working yesterday though. Oh well

I was under the impression, by the name, LinuxMint-4.0-KDE-BETA-044.iso, that it was built off of KDE 4.0 but in the KDE Control Center it says KDE 3.5.8 although it looks like KDE 4.
I don't see anything in the release notes so is this 3.5 or is it 4.0 ?
Hi subslug.

As far as I know it's based on KDE 3.5 as 4 is still too unstable at the moment. The release version of Linux Mint 4.0 is the fourth release of Linux Mint itself. They are already working on the fifth release of Mint called Linux Mint 5.0. It's just a coincidence with the 4.0 not meant to imply KDE 4 is the base.

Hope this helps

Slap
mm..someone should make a blatantly obvious note of that as i too thought the same thing. then when kde4 wasn't on the disk, i thought i'd gotten a wrong version or something, although i am downloading and installing kde4 through adept atm ^_^
however, so far this is a pretty nice looking distro :] very nice work..
Terry

Post by Terry »

This distro does not work for my HP DC7100 P4 2.8GHZ PC. It does not get past the part where the screen will show a desktop. Instead it shows a bunch of sync lines acroos the screen and no picture. I have tried all option choices with different resolutions and nothing works. Any ideas why this does not work for this PC? I would really like to run it as my permanent OS but cant. External video is not an option for me.

Please respond back at rosinskitg@juno.com.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the most common fixes for hardware issues is to use some or all of the following kernel options at boot:
noacpi
acpi=no
irqpoll

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi Boo,
I used NOACPI in the boot options and it WORKS! Thank you very much!!!! Learn something new every day! :o)
akshunj

Post by akshunj »

I just finished installing on the desktop. All I have to say is HOLY SH*T! This desktop is SMOKIN fast! This is the fastest I've ever seen KDE. Period.

I truly hope that this goes gold, or that I can upgrade to the final version from this Beta. Compiz-Fusion works fine with the latest Nvidia drivers. Incidentally, I had to download the latest Envy from the website as Synaptic was not up-to-date. Tasty Menu is awesome. Little niceties like the transparent toolbar and a clean desktop are much appreciated. Very Minty overall, and super useable.

Some thoughts on the problems others are having:
I think the LiveCD is troublesome for both the Main Edition and KDE CE. It's unreliable, and I ALWAYS experience problems that magically vanish once I complete the install. Sounds weird, but that's been my experience. Consequently, I use the LiveCD ONLY to complete the install. And once installed, Mint KDE really cooks.

For anyone who's curious, here are my system specs:

store-bought Acer AMD 64 X2 4400+
Nvidia GeForce 7300GS PCI-E w/ dual monitors
2 GB RAM
300GB HD
DVD+DL RW
on-board sound
memory card reader

PM me with questions about my config or a piece of hardware. I'm happy to help out!

--Akshun J
sml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sml »

Thanks for the hardwork guys .... some early feedback ... hope it helps improve ...

1. On a Intel P35 mboard with 22" LCD, the grub splash screen was huge. Needs a trim.

2. Immediately after KDE started, I had a KDE crash as per the following:

(no debugging symbols found)
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread -1233143600 (LWP 10244)]
[KCrash handler]
#6 0xb713811e in QString::unicode () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#7 0xb7528b95 in operator== () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#8 0xb7b3f151 in KDirWatchPrivate::slotActivated () from /usr/lib/libkio.so.4
#9 0xb7b3f2fc in KDirWatchPrivate::qt_invoke () from /usr/lib/libkio.so.4
#10 0xb720f893 in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#11 0xb72101aa in QObject::activate_signal () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#12 0xb759c683 in QSocketNotifier::activated () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#13 0xb723246e in QSocketNotifier::event () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#14 0xb71a6af0 in QApplication::internalNotify () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#15 0xb71a891f in QApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#16 0xb78aeca2 in KApplication::notify () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.4
#17 0xb7139209 in QApplication::sendEvent () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#18 0xb7198ee9 in QEventLoop::activateSocketNotifiers ()
from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#19 0xb714dd2b in QEventLoop::processEvents () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#20 0xb71c11ce in QEventLoop::enterLoop () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#21 0xb71c0fde in QEventLoop::exec () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#22 0xb71a8699 in QApplication::exec () from /usr/lib/libqt-mt.so.3
#23 0xb668ba38 in kdemain () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kded.so
#24 0xb66a4454 in kdeinitmain () from /usr/lib/kde3/kded.so
#25 0x0804e67f in ?? ()
#26 0x00000002 in ?? ()
#27 0x0807f4d8 in ?? ()
#28 0x00000001 in ?? ()
#29 0x00000000 in ?? ()
sml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sml »

The same bug as in Ubuntu 7.10 also exists when trying to access storage media :(

ERROR-KONQUEROR
hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 999
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

sml wrote:The same bug as in Ubuntu 7.10 also exists when trying to access storage media :(

ERROR-KONQUEROR
hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid 999
Yeah I get the same thing on my Ubuntu Mint set up after I installed KDE on it and logged into the K desktop. The only way I can do anything with storage media is to log back into Gnome.
toyg

Post by toyg »

"restricted-manager-kde" is not installed by default. The Gnome-based LinuxMint has the package; it would be nice to be consistent (and restricted-manager is a very user-friendly program).
Husse

Post by Husse »

As blues-guy pointed out - no trash!?
At least I can't find it (in Virtualbox - but I really really doubt that has anything to do with it :))
Fred

Post by Fred »

Husse,

The problem is inherited from (K)ubuntu. It isn't consistent though. It comes and goes In both distros.

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah - and it's solved by adding it to, to - eh what was it :)
Joking aside, I'm simply not a KDE person....
Husse

Post by Husse »

This much I know about KDE that there is no Synaptic - it has Adept instead
hal-storage-fixed-mount refused uid X
This seems to be an unfortunately rather common KDE error

Return to “Releases & Announcements”