Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Daryna KDE CE BETA 044 is out!

Post by mikpap »

Well. I tried 4 times to install the new beta. The three first attempts failed (the installer did not started at all). The 4th time it started (I tried a fresh install with the option to use the entire hard disk) but it freezed (90% during the configuration of hardware). After that I stopped trying. An ideas? The hardware is an HP Pavilion zt3050ea. I had the same problem with the installer with the previous beta (after a reboot the problem solved though and the installation didn't froze then). HELP...
neo67
Level 2
Level 2

Post by neo67 »

mikpap wrote:Well. I tried 4 times to install the new beta. The three first attempts failed (the installer did not started at all). The 4th time it started (I tried a fresh install with the option to use the entire hard disk) but it freezed (90% during the configuration of hardware). After that I stopped trying. An ideas? The hardware is an HP Pavilion zt3050ea. I had the same problem with the installer with the previous beta (after a reboot the problem solved though and the installation didn't froze then). HELP...
maybe the same problem as above. Burn a new DVD and try checksum....
Running Linux Mint 6 KDE CE on an acer TravelMate C200
LinuxMintUsers.De
hopeful

Post by hopeful »

thanks to husse and neo67:

husse: will look into that, sounds involved; the first time in my rather long journey for finding a final distro that I am encountering such a problem with Konqueror when FF works. Applications in KDE certainly can get on the local network, otherwise I could not configure network printers.

neo67: DVD burning speed is lowest possible, DVD is md5 verified, of course, same for download - I am ultraconservative.
Have tested OOo/Desktop problem with an old Shuttle computer, there it does NOT exist. On the IBM/Lenovo X41 laptop it can be reliably reproduced, I cannot see how this can be hardware dependent, incomprehensible. Kubuntu7 did that, too, when I tested it a few months ago, but no other distribution ever did it. The X41 runs generally very well Linux.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The torrent is working again for me so I'm seeding with as much as I've got (68 kB/s)
Have not had the time to check it out yet
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I've only been able to live boot it from a Virtual setup so far and one thing is for sure, 256Mb of ram isn't nearly enough to run it. It boots but it's as slow as it can be. I can normally run live versions from 256Mb but on this version I had to boost it to 512Mb, runs fine after that but it will occasionally just exit the virtual window without warning and crash.

I would be interested to see how it runs on an actual hard drive install with only 256Mb of ram.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

While I've been having connection problems with my torrents of late, I dont normally suffer from the insanely slow speeds I'm getting on this download. I'm lucky if I scrape up to 10k download. In fact I've already got a share ratio of better than 1.0 because I'm uploading faster than I can download it. :evil:
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

It all seems to work OK for me on my fujitsu siemens Li1718 Laptop except for the atheros Wireless network interface. I thought this had been cured with the latest madwifi drivers. I was able to get it working on Cassandra with the XP driver and ndiswrapper but havn't got anywhere yet with Daryna. The only other thing worth mentioning was somethimes when you clicked on something, there was a lag before it responded which meant sometimes clicking on it twice.
jpedrosa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jpedrosa »

hi,
first of all, congrats for the good work and effort.

i'm having problems ins this release over VM Ware.
i posted this here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 244#p55244

any idea or test i can do?

best regards,
JP
flammenwurfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by flammenwurfer »

After installing it on my laptop overall I like it alot! Now, the problems I've had so far.

Problems:

Volume buttons - at first the hardware volume buttons on my lenovo n100 didn't work. Then I configured the "global shortcuts" in kmix and they worked. Then I upgraded everything that mintupdate told me to and they still work, but the on-screen volume display doesn't show up anymore.

Suspend to ram & cpu freqency throttling - suspend doesn't work out of the box, and neither does cpu freqency throttling. However, just like with Cassandra, both of those problems are remedied by replacing powersaved with powernowd

Compiz-Fuzion - Using the Enable/Disable 3D effects buttons in the Menu doesn't work. Compiz Fuzion will only start by opening CompizConfig

umm...that's all I can think of for now.

by the way this is all on a Lenovo N100 laptop
gman2

Post by gman2 »

Hardware:
Dell Latitude c610 1GHz P3, 384 MB Ram

Beta 011 worked very well. Could get wireless to work with TrendNEt TEW424UB V2.1 using ndiswrapper.

Issues with Beta 044:

Install freezes when choosing default kernel. Installed fine using safe graphics mode.

After install highest resolution available is 800x600.

Cannot get any wireless to work, have tried:
TrendNet TEW424UB V2.1
NetGear WG111v2
ACX100 based device

Look doesn't seem as polished as Beta 044

Right now it is hard to give a good or bad review until I can get the resolution set correctly.

Note, I'm typing this on another computer as I can't get wireless to work on the Dell.

I also will be comparing this to PCLinuxOS 2008 and Mandriva 2008.1 which are my favorite KDE first distros.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hi,
I attempted to load on my PC today (P4 HP/Compaq 7200 small form 2.8GHZ) and would not load up from CD no matter what video options I took even the safe mode. I would really like to test this distro out but apparently there is a bug in this version that does not like my video card for some reason! I don't know what else to try. I tried many different resolutions too and it the screen just goes sync crazy. At one point it even started messing with my front intake fan and changed the direction of air flow and increased the speed! Weird!!! By the way, What does CE stand for for Daryna KDE CE BETA 044?
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

akshunj wrote:Posting from Daryna KDE right now. Pretty slick so far. A couple of questions:
1. Was Firefox supposed to take on a KDE theme? It looks like un-themed GTK2 right now. So does Mint-Update.
Open Settings > GTK Styles and Fonts. For GTK Styles select "Use my KDE style in GTK applications" and for GTK Fonts select "Use my KDE fonts in GTK applications". After this close and open the applications. This will fix the application so that it takes on teh KDE appearance instead of the GTK appearance. This worked for me in all applications that had a GTK look to them, which included:

KDE Control Center
Firefox
Synaptic
OpenOffice
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Hardware:

Dell Latitude C610 1 GHz P3 384MB RAM

Finally got the install to work using the Live DVD default kernel. Screen set to default 1024x768 resolution. Very responsive on this system.

Initial styling was "clunky" and almost all applications had the GTK look which I fixed by setting GTK applications to use KDE style and fonts. Should this be the default setting?

The control center is the old KDE control center where as 011 used a different control center.

Synaptic is missing from the menu.

My wireless network devices can find wireless networks around my workplace, but without passphrases and keys for the free networks I can't test. I will test wireless at home.

I created a document for installing Brother printer on Mint which was first written when running Cassandra. I have installed the drivers for Darnya but some steps have changed. I will update and submit to the community for testing.

All for now. Will test some more when I get a chance.

With the above fixes, an excellent distro. Nice job, Boo, Clem and Exploder.

:)
gman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gman »

Found some "free" wifi in the area and tried to connect. The connection gets up to 28% (Activation Stage: Configuring Device) and than dies. This is the same thing that happened on my home network, get to 28% and than die, wiht my first install of Beta 044.
Fred

Post by Fred »

044 is a very nice release, especially for a beta. I just hope people remember that it is a beta release and not a final.

A couple of suggestions:

1. gfxgrub is not good at finding files on another partition. If you have a separate boot partition the line in the "menu.lst" file "gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint " will not find the desired file. I would suggest that the "message.mint" file also be placed in the "/boot/grub" folder with the "menu.lst" file. The above underlined line in "menu.lst" would then be "gfxmenu=/grub/message.mint". This would work regardless of how the partitions were set up.

EDIT: This is not the same problem referred to in this thread. http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... it=gfxgrub

2. Another grub problem. This seems to be done by a lot of distros and often times creates problems on multi-boot linux systems. When the auto-find routine discovers another distro it sets the boot to the default kernel of the unknown distro. This works but doesn't account for kernel upgrades that may happen later on the unknown distro. This means that if you are using the Mint menu list to boot from that you continue to use the old kernel on the unknown distro instead of the new one. I don't know how much trouble it would be to modify the script to chain load the unknown distro, but it would allow the unknown distro to do its own thing and not be affected be the "menu.lst" file in Mint.

3. OK, I lied! there are three problems defined. lol UUID hell! I really don't know what the best way is to solve this. UUID solves some problems and is the future, but it creates other problems. Looking on the forum, you can see a number of problems generated by UUID. Maybe a warning notice in the installer about the fact that repartitioning/reformatting will change the UUIDs of the changed/reformatted partitions. And a reminder that other distros that use UUID will no longer be able to use these partitions unless their "/etc/fstab" files are updated. Maybe a url given where the problem can be explained and instructions given for fixing the problem.

Anyway, a very nice job on this beta release. For whatever it is worth, I am favorably impressed.

Have a nice day,

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
starkey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by starkey »

Hi, Congratulations, I was expecting this for a long time; I have two issues:

1. To translate the system to Spanish I had to uninstall the language in the control settings, and reinstall, and now it's OK.
2. I downloaded the latest version of Envy(0.9.10), and one dependency was missing the "dkms" package, I only installed it from Adept, and now it's alright.
gman2

Post by gman2 »

No go with wireless. I'm using WEP with hex key. After asking for network information it stays at 28%. Asks for hex key a second time stays at 28% than dies.

I do know that this is a beta, but wireless worked to some extent for me in Beta 011. I either go back to Beta 011 or try another distro. I may try Mandriva 2008.1 Alpha 2 to see how that performs compared to Beta 011/044.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

akshunj

Post by akshunj »

gman wrote: Open Settings > GTK Styles and Fonts. For GTK Styles select "Use my KDE style in GTK applications" and for GTK Fonts select "Use my KDE fonts in GTK applications". After this close and open the applications. This will fix the application so that it takes on teh KDE appearance instead of the GTK appearance. This worked for me in all applications that had a GTK look to them, which included:

KDE Control Center
Firefox
Synaptic
OpenOffice
Thanks!
bernado

Post by bernado »

When you use Daryna and you have an activated internet connection during install, all required language packs for the language you have chosen ( german in this case) will automatically be installed - but not in this KDE CE Beta version !
"language-pack-kde-de" + "language-pack-kde-de-base" should be installed by default to have a desktop in your language (You additionally have to change the language at the KDE control Center (Country/Region and Language). "language-support-de" has been installed by the system

- synaptic was installed under /usr/sbin/synaptic and is missing at the tasty menu.

I mean that Synaptic should be the default package management system. If you change the outfit of your desktop (icons, themes) the adept manager remains unchanged. You can easyly delete all adept packages exept "adept-common" "adept-installer" if you would like to use the function to install further packages from the menu.

- Kubuntu comes with the available oxygen theme (to be chosen from systemsettings) Should be possible here as well - I mean we are talking about a DVD version!
- Dolphin not installed by default
- "gdebi-kde" package is not installed. This makes it quite comfortable to install DEB packages, it automatically resolves conflicts and downloads required packages. E.g. http://www.removed.de

- I hope you update the updates for the final one . Mint update will install over 120 packages after a fresh install !

Bernado
Last edited by bernado on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”