Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Larry Redfield

Re: Linux Mint 12 KDE released!

Post by Larry Redfield »

Put MINT 12 on my ACER Aspire netbook, slow install but works perfectly so far. This has a 8,2Gb SSD, which is difficult to use with Windows, but MINT runs fine.

One problem right away is the netbook has a small LCD which is not resizeable. I cannot see the complete extent of 'windows' and dialogs if they are bigger than the screen and not resizable. How do I navigate to the bottom of these?
Hypersphere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Hypersphere »

I thank you for producing a recent KDE edition of Linux Mint; it is excellent! Before trying your KDE version, I had experimented endlessly with various tweaks to the Gnome shell, Cinnamon, Xfce, and others. None of these was entirely satisfactory, especially from an aesthetic standpoint. I had tried KDE earlier, but I abandoned it prematurely, thinking it was too difficult to achieve a workable desktop. Linux Mint 12 KDE was different somehow, and I have finally adopted it for my linux desktop machines. The configuration that works well for me is Folder View with one panel at the top, Oxygen style with Air desktop and the panel color set to Netbook Air. It is a beautiful and functional desktop--it has been so carefully thought out that the defaults look great; almost no tweaks are necessary. Moreover, I have upgraded KDE to 4.80 and it works fine.

The only glitches I have uncovered thus far are as follows:

--Difficulty installing Nvidia drivers (covered and solved in a separate post).
--Difficulty with Muon when I tried switching from Synaptic to Muon. It was not possible to use the GUI to add repositories to Muon. I switched back to Synaptic, and all is well.
--Difficulty getting the system to remember my settings to use the classic KDE3 style cursor; it reverts to the Oxygen style when I logout/login. This is of course a very minor issue and I am content resetting this configuration when needed.

Linux Mint 12 KDE is a superb desktop system that I believe is superior to both Windows and Mac OS X. I am now using my linux desktop machines for almost all of my routine work as well as for some of my molecular modeling applications. If it were not for the need to ensure complete compatibility with certain types of files (e.g., GraphPad Prism) shared with colleagues, I would use Linux Mint 12 KDE exclusively for desktop applications.

I know that Clem and the Mint team seem partial to Cinnamon, and this effort should no doubt continue, but KDE provides a beautiful desktop experience that ought to have a bright future as well.
awd-s

Post by awd-s »

Larry Redfield wrote:Put MINT 12 on my ACER Aspire netbook, slow install but works perfectly so far. This has a 8,2Gb SSD, which is difficult to use with Windows, but MINT runs fine.

One problem right away is the netbook has a small LCD which is not resizeable. I cannot see the complete extent of 'windows' and dialogs if they are bigger than the screen and not resizable. How do I navigate to the bottom of these?
Alt+F7 should turn the cursor into a grabbing fist and allow you to move the window beyond the edge of the screen. Left click the mouse or tap the mouse pad to let go of the window. I've just installed the DVD version of Linux Mint on a 16-Gbyte SD card and booted my Acer eeePC netbook from it; I am very favourably impressed by the OS. I'm going to be moving from Ubuntu to Linux Mint now that Ubuntu is going in a direction I don't like. Wow, what an OS!
Creto

Post by Creto »

Hello I am Brazilian and user to Linux Mint Brasil forums.

I have always had greater preference for KDE, especially after the gnome-shell further increased the preference for KDE that has become much lighter than Gnome and Linux Mint is great.

Although there are still some corrections to be made ​​in the update manager of the 32-bit version.

But the real questions the Creto is given the KDE version of Mint is released when the version based on ubuntu 13 oneiric Ocelot?

At the most I can only congratulate the Linux Mint team that gave us this great system with a great environment like KDE.

Greetings Brazilian
Creto

Pay us a visit http://www.linuxmint.com.br/
thingfish

Post by thingfish »

I last used KDE way back in the Version 3.5 days, which was great, but the 4 editions I always found difficult. Welcome Mint 12 KDE. What a nice edition: I always straight away I shape applications removing some, and installing others the way I want them and this might be the reason why it runs so well.
KDE Mint 12 is great !

Briefly: IRC Chat programs removed, Opera browser installed, Amarok removed, Rhythmbox installed. K3B installed,

Regards / Chris
leopoldbirkholm

Post by leopoldbirkholm »

So, is this the right forum to ask for screenshots of the KDE version? :?:

I am much of a Gnome dude, but curious onto the KDE.
mads

Post by mads »

leopoldbirkholm

Post by leopoldbirkholm »

mads wrote:Hi leopoldbirkholm.
Linux Mint 12 KDE Screenshot Tour
What did you use as search phrases? I could not find that and I tried!
mads

Post by mads »

leopoldbirkholm wrote:What did you use as search phrases? I could not find that and I tried!
Mint 12 KDE screenshots

Just kidding. :lol:
By chance, I had seen this post prior to seeing yours.

By the way, the above phrase actually works (second hit on Google). :wink:
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Installed this today
WOW
Fantastic.

I think you should make KDE your main focus
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

I installed it last night and it has failed to load programs and decided to log me out, it even logs me out as soon as I log in sometimes :? . It also has a few other problems.
It looks pretty but I feel like a beta tester again.
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

The more I use it the more it reveals itself to be fragile and incomplete.

The installer package decided to install grub on the wrong hard drive when I did a complete new install. I learned the hard way not to use the partitioner in simple mode. Older version had that sorted a long time ago, at least they gave a choice as to where to install grub.
It logs out while I'm in the process off logging in, it seems to log out by default whenever the slightest thing happens. The bug report couldn't find what it needed and crashed my system :x
It even crashes when it is in the process of logging out.
I keep getting messages about nepomuk not working.
I can't create user accounts that work. Why is this not documented in the release notes ?
The user guide link on the KDE release notes page downloads the gnome user guide - useless for KDE

I'm very disappointed, Gnome has turned into try hard mac copy and KDE has been rushed out when it is clearly not ready.
If it had said RC I would think those things are OK but I downloaded what I thought was stable release - clearly not the case.

One step forward and three steps back.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Sorry, Ausminter. I have since the release day a completely contrary experience. Never had with a Linux distribution so few teethering problems. In fact No problems at all, except the ones I produce myself. Every hardware has been immediately recognised, really the only thin I could blame this distribution about is that it is so boring without any problems... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
nounours18200

Post by nounours18200 »

Installed this today
WOW
Fantastic.
Same for me: I have been using it since it has been made available for download, and it is clearly the best Linux distribution to date (I have compared this LM-12 KDE release to many others: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora 16, etc...) and no doubt for me , it is the best one...
Congratulations to the developers!
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

I wonder if there has been any recent changes to the download iso?
People who have been using it for a while don't seem to have the problems I've had with the iso I downloaded on the 15th march.

I really wanted to use KDE. I'm over gnome and all its annoying habits.
Arran

Post by Arran »

Download it once more. Do you use as source the official download or do you have the file from somewhere else?
ausminter

Post by ausminter »

Arran wrote:Download it once more. Do you use as source the official download or do you have the file from somewhere else?
I downloaded it from a link on the Mint website to a mirror in Australia, I assume it was the official version. The checksum indicated it was not corrupted.
I've already downloaded it twice actually, I had the folder open that I downloaded it to at the end of the download process the first time and it didn't save it. I couldn't find it anywhere, maybe it was there but I got a message saying file not saved or something to that effect & couldn't find it :?
So with all that and the updates at install time I've blown my data limit for this month.

After evaluating it on virtualbox KDE is stable so I think it might just be a video driver issue with my hardware. The virtualbox install doesn't crash or drop out to a log in screen.
It just has that login problem for added users and some issue with nepomuk whatever that is, I haven't looked into it.
grogor

Post by grogor »

I recently purchased an Asus Zenbook U31x (Ultrabook).

I installed Mint 12 kde last week. My main issue / concern is my cpu temperature which goes through the roof. Even when ldle, it sits at around 60 degrees c!

I am a linux newbie but I have exhausted my search engine to attempt to resolve this myself. Also , I have a dual boot (For some windows gaming). On windows the temp remains perfect even whilst playing a resource intensive game.

Possibly Mint (Or any other linux for that matter) have not tested with this new altra books hardware as of yet? Could some one please point me in the right direction as to how i can go about resolving this?

Regards

Francois Grogor :)

Post by 007 »

Good job!

not sure what caused it but my bluetooth (hp dv6) now works. It didn't work with lm 10, gnome! If scanner works too, that would be great. I am gonna check later today. Anyway good job once again.

Edit: scanner works too! :D Actually Linux Mint 12 KDE is just perfect for my hp dv6... not gonna change/upgrade for a while 8)

Return to “Releases & Announcements”